Anybody fish with "vintage" gear?

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
I recently got back into fishing seriously. When I did so my dad gave me a lot of his old gear. I have now become addicted to the old Penn and Ocean City reels. I don't think I'll be going back to modern stuff anytime soon.
Am I the only one?

I am fascinated with the simplicity and the genius in these old reels. I am really getting into the Ocean City ones. I love the idea of the locking mechanism on the handle.

http://www.google.com/patents/US2002403

I like old fishing reels and equipment but I don't use them for fishing.
If the drag and all other components are working up to par then have at it!
But I have never found or used an older reel that can compete with the stuff I use now.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with what and where you are fishing and what type of line/lb test you're using.

But if I was given some well cared for, vintage reels from family I would definitely give them a go!
Nice set of reels you got there either way

Yes, I do.
Then again, I qualify as vintage :p

My Dad bought me this Penn 200 Beachmaster reel for my JHS graduation in 1969.

Still works like a champ.

A couple more… another Penn and 2 Ambassadeurs from the early 80's.

Still use them all :)

Recently my reel, a Japan-made graphite Shimano, developed a bit of jiggle in the handle, as if some of the internal gears were becoming worn. Bought it new in 1992-ish. Can't find anything new today with the same features (one-hand trigger, rear drag, 'fightin' drag lever), so I spent months searching eBay until a NIB Shimano came up for sale exactly like my old one. :thumbup:

1990s isn't exactly "vintage" though.

Cool. It's good to know that I'm not entirely alone. As for the drags, I can still get drag washers for all of the Penns that I have and I can modify them to fit the Ocean Citys so I'm going to use them until they break.
Ebbtide, that 200 looks fantastic and the Seaboy 85 is a blast to use. I have two of them set up for trout right now and love 'em.

Do not call Zebco for reel parts. I called them last summer to get some parts for a 33 classic and they told me they no longer have parts for their reels as everything is now made in China. They are in Tulsa but all the parts are in China. I had to laugh or I would have been mad.

OK, I'll cross Zebco off my list. Thanks.
I always check Scott's Tackle to see if they have parts for the Penns that I've been getting. If parts are getting scarce I go to other models.
I just bought another Ocean City 167 as we've been chatting here. I need help...
$_57.JPG

I use 12 bait or so Abu bait casters from the 70's. When a worm gear or paw goes I lay is aside until winter. damn quick spinning reels are as good as anything today.

I use 12 bait or so Abu bait casters from the 70's. When a worm gear or paw goes I lay is aside until winter. damn quick spinning reels are as good as anything today.

I haven't tried the Abus yet. I'm kinda scared that I may like them too much.

I haven't tried the Abus yet. I'm kinda scared that I may like them too much.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

4600, 5600 & 6600 C5Mags

1-4600, 2-5500s, 1- F•I•V•E (a budget version, the only dog in the bunch) and the 6600C5 mag.
Then there are the old school Pflueger fly reels… These are "only" from the 80's ;)

The ambassadors are great reels.
Make the Penns look like jigsaw puzzles when you open them up.
Lots of upgrade parts available as well.

The 6600C5Mag lives on a 9' rod that I love to use on the beach.
Throws a 2oz spoon out of sight :D

I have a lot of old Ambassadors . Two 5000 from the 50s. When the 4600s 1st come out I bought three and have about a dozen more since then. I dont use them anymore. They are clunkers compared to newer reels. I do use old crankbaits a lot. The silent ones [ no rattles ] from the 70s like the Wee Rs , Big Jims , Wiggle Warts , Fat Raps ....get used more than the new baits. I think they have a tighter action and get more bites than most modern plugs. The old original jelly worm is still my favorite plastic worm . Ive caught thousands of bass on them . I use to buy them by the hundred packs.

The Penn 209 is my go-to reel for bait fishing. I buy them at the flea market for $20 or so. Rebuild them and call it done. I prefer the level wind of the 209 to the 200 not having one. I also have a 1960's vintage Abu light spinning reel (NOS in box) that I mounted on a 1960's solid glass light action 5'6" two piece rod that my late uncle built for me 10 years ago. It's my Crappie/trout rod. Great action, terribly heavy though.

Mac, next time you're up this way, stop in Manteca and check out Fisherman's Warehouse on Yosemite Ave. They have some really knowledgeable guys working the counters in there.

Oh, Ebb, I'm pretty sure I have some of those Pfluegers as well. Don't have any useable split cane fly rods though, mine are all rotten.

-Xander

I've got a Penn 209 in my big box of vintage goodness™ - I should take a look at it and see if it's usable. I'll need to find an appropriate rod for it now...

The Penn 209 is my go-to reel for bait fishing. I buy them at the flea market for $20 or so. Rebuild them and call it done. I prefer the level wind of the 209 to the 200 not having one. I also have a 1960's vintage Abu light spinning reel (NOS in box) that I mounted on a 1960's solid glass light action 5'6" two piece rod that my late uncle built for me 10 years ago. It's my Crappie/trout rod. Great action, terribly heavy though.

Mac, next time you're up this way, stop in Manteca and check out Fisherman's Warehouse on Yosemite Ave. They have some really knowledgeable guys working the counters in there.

Oh, Ebb, I'm pretty sure I have some of those Pfluegers as well. Don't have any useable split cane fly rods though, mine are all rotten.

-Xander
Great. Just what I needed to know about. A good tackle shop on a street I actually have to be on quite often. My wallet is already crying.:)
Thanks for the info.
I've got a 309 and a 9 that I bought for Karen to use. I'm not a fan of levelwinds. Yet.

The only saltwater riggin I have belonged to my Grandfather. I have two poles with reels, and two other reels. I will have to look and see what brand they are, but I do know they are roughly 50-60 years old now... Possibly even older. I forgot I have another reel without a rod in the bedroom. I just went and looked, and it is an old Penn 60. It looks very similar to the Ocean City you just bought.

The only fly setup I have is an Eagle Claw with a Pfleuger Medalist reel that I got when I was about 12 years old, so it is roughly 40 years old now.

My spinning setups are an Eagle Claw with an early Mitchell 300 that I got about the same time as the fly rod, and a couple other rods from the same era with early Mitchell 300 reels.One is an early Fenwick, but I can't remember what the other is...

I did actually buy a new setup early this year. It's the newest version of the Ugly Stick, with the package reel. I like the rod, and the reel works fine, but it is noisy and rough. One of these days I will toss the reel that is on it now in the trash, and put a decent reel on it.

Great. Just what I needed to know about. A good tackle shop on a street I actually have to be on quite often. My wallet is already crying.:)
Thanks for the info.
I've got a 309 and a 9 that I bought for Karen to use. I'm not a fan of levelwinds. Yet.

It's right across the street from the trailer sales place, they have a store in Fresno as well as a few other cities.

-X

The only saltwater riggin I have belonged to my Grandfather. I have two poles with reels, and two other reels. I will have to look and see what brand they are, but I do know they are roughly 50-60 years old now... Possibly even older. I forgot I have another reel without a rod in the bedroom. I just went and looked, and it is an old Penn 60. It looks very similar to the Ocean City you just bought.

The only fly setup I have is an Eagle Claw with a Pfleuger Medalist reel that I got when I was about 12 years old, so it is roughly 40 years old now.

My spinning setups are an Eagle Claw with an early Mitchell 300 that I got about the same time as the fly rod, and a couple other rods from the same era with early Mitchell 300 reels.One is an early Fenwick, but I can't remember what the other is...

I did actually buy a new setup early this year. It's the newest version of the Ugly Stick, with the package reel. I like the rod, and the reel works fine, but it is noisy and rough. One of these days I will toss the reel that is on it now in the trash, and put a decent reel on it.

That 60 will work just fine, ya just need to head out to the coast and we can catch some tuna. I've got a 65 and a 67. The 67 is a beast but I love it.

I have several vintage Penns. Also a Garcia 300 spinner that looks like it must have been from one of the first production years. I fish some old hand-made rods, including bamboo. However, when I go to Alaska after kings and expect to be far out on a wilderness river, I generally have more modern gear.

DancesWithKnives

Back