anyone carry a multitool everyday

I used to carry a buck tool everyday but then the pliers got ruined and i switched over to a folder. I just bought a swiss tool and cant get back into the habit! After i get dressed i grab the m16 off the shelf and clip it in my pocket and walk away out of habit. I would love to carry it. I am just wondering if the knives will dull fast... i hate having to sharpen my EDC's. If anybody can tell me how everything on the SWISS TOOL holds up, i would greatly appreciate it.

Usually I EDCed a Wave or Blast, but lately I've been carrying a Leatherman Sideclip. No bells, no whistles. Just a barebones, reliable, useful, handy-dandy tool that is incredibly well made, durable, and solid. Plus, it's so small and light that it's clipped on your pocket all day and you don't even feel it. You forget it's there until you need it. While I love being "prepared", the other multis have tools I don't really use or need on a daily basis. A saw? Never need one. Scissors? A file? I carry a Gerger Shortcut on my keychain to handle those. All I really use is a knife (often), screwdrivers and pliers. A can opener is an added bonus. I keep the Blast and Wave for whenever a colorful expletive may hit a nearby fan, but day to day the Sideclip is all I need.

I carry mine everyday, and ends up using mine almost everyday. I do research in a chocolate factory, and there are always some valve or bolts that needs a little nudge to get loose. On weekends, I use it for unhooking fish.

if i don't have my sog on me, it's in my truck. takes care of a lot of little paininthebutt chores, and yeah, nice little blade too.

Leatherman Charge XTi in front pocket with a pocket clip. THinking about giving the Charge a break and switching to a 2nd gen Wave for a while.

ElCcuchillo - I use the pilers for opening/ tightening valves in pipes. Screw driver for when I'm reassembling equipments, and the knife for opening boxes etc.

Thats about it. If I'm close enough to my office, I'll have all these tools at hand, but the multi sure is handy when you're 5 floors down and don't have anything with you.

I have several multitools, basically Leatherman, I've been carrying a Charge Ti for a long time but I went back to my S.Tool 200 because I'm sick of pinch my thumb between tha handles when using the pliers :barf: , maybe it's me, but I find a better design on S.Tools/Core models.

I have several multitools, basically Leatherman, I've been carrying a Charge Ti for a long time but I went back to my S.Tool 200 because I'm sick of pinch my thumb between tha handles when using the pliers :barf: , maybe it's me, but I find a better design on S.Tools/Core models.

Same story here. I do miss the Charge one hand blade opening and pocket clip, but not enough.

More recently my inventory includes a Swisstool and Spirit. They are very well designed and made, but for some reason I haven't warmed to them. I'll carry one for a while, but always drift back to Leatherman. I find the pliers and screwdrivers superior to those on the Vic products.

Overall, I prefer the way Leathermen operate, possibly because of a ten year familarity with them. If Swisstools had been on the market when I first went shopiing, I might have got used to them instead.

We were issued the original Leatherman tool at work several years ago. I thought it a joke but decided to put it on my belt for awhile anyway. I quickly discovered that the Leatherman was used more than my pocket knife, everything from pulling out a splinter, to cutting a wire. That tool was carried till the bottom wore out of the leather sheath. When I retired the thoughtful folks at my work place gave me a brand new original Leatherman as a going away present. My wife at the same time gave me a new Leatherman Fuse. Now I do some woodworking, tend a large garden, home maintenance and tend an orchard, rare is the day that I don't reach for my Leatherman. To me a wonderful tool!

I started EDCing a Leatherman SuperTool (original) about 11yrs. ago. Now, for the last year I've carried a SwissTool, and sometimes my SOG PowerLock. I can't imagine going without. I get teased at work, but, they always know who to ask when they need something tightened or fixed in hurry. Also, my 34 year old Buck 309 and a SAK Cybertool.:thumbup:

I used to carry a buck tool everyday but then the pliers got ruined and i switched over to a folder. I just bought a swiss tool and cant get back into the habit! After i get dressed i grab the m16 off the shelf and clip it in my pocket and walk away out of habit. I would love to carry it. I am just wondering if the knives will dull fast... i hate having to sharpen my EDC's. If anybody can tell me how everything on the SWISS TOOL holds up, i would greatly appreciate it.

I think you will be pleased with the Swisstool.I drive a truck for a living and have been relying on mine for over 2 years now.So far it has done everything I have needed it to do.Nothing against Leatherman(I carried those prior to the Swisstool and they were darn good tools)but the Blade on my Swisstool seemed to hold an edge better than the Leathermans I had did.Only thing I can think of is that Leatherman goes with a bit steeper angle on the edge and maybe a little lower on the Rc to help with the durability/hard use factor.
(hope that came out right).Give the Swisstool a try you will not be disapointed.

Pullinsets

Of course I carry a multi-tool with me every day: It's got everything I need! Mine's a Gerber corkscrew model...the only multi-tool I've found with a corkscrew on it to date.
Believe it or not it's come in handy many times. There's nothing more frustrating than staring at a bottle of wine with no way to open it. :)
Take a stick (or preferably something cleaner, like a butterknife etc.) and push the cork down into the bottle. Then use the stick/butterknife/whatever to hold the cork up in the bottle while you pour.

Any "portofino" in a storm! Heheheh

Once, when I was about 15 on New Year's Eve I climbed a ski hill at night in Northwestern Michigan with a buddy and a couple of girls we met during the day skiing. They brought a couple bottles of wine they stole from their parents. We got to the top and realized we didn't have a corkscrew. Until I remembered my SAK! That's the only time I ever remember using that particular tool. I've since bought the model that replaces the corkscrew with a phillips head screwdriver.

BTW, my EDC consists of a Spyderco Endura, a SAK, a notepad and pen, a 256MB USB drive (formatted for Linux, ext3) encrypted with 1024-bit blowfish, a 512MB USB drive (formatted with FAT for Winblows) with cruzerlock encryption, a CLC pouch with a Leatherman SuperTool, a AA Mag-Lite with 550 lanyard (doubles as a danbong) and an Audiovox GMRS radio, a Beretta 21A in .22LR and my cell phone/still and video cam/audio recorder/etc.

On my keychain I sport an ASP Street Defender, Leatherman Micra, Photon LED light, and screwgate carabiner wrapped with about 10 feet or so of 550.

Depending on where I'm going I sometimes augment my regular EDC rig with a 21" ASP baton, S&W 686 4" .357 Mag and Gerber Guardian boot knife. I also have a Dyno Kwick lock pick that I sometimes keep in the side loop of my CLC pouch.

I'll post a pic of this stuff when I get a chance. I guess that's about it, I manage to carry all of my EDC stuff pretty comfortably thanks to Dickies Double Knee Work Pants with the "cell phone" pocket.

EDC.jpg

How is everyone carrying their multi-tools? I carry a SOG Paratool and a Gerber Full Size Multi-Tool in a kydex belt pouch I make. You can see them at www.deploymentsolutions.us I have worn out the nylon and leather ones they come with. Also managed to break the Blackie Collins that came with the SOG. I may look at putting a small Tek-Lok as an attachment rather than the belt loop. Since I wear a Wilderness belt everyday and wear the same gear everyday, it is not a big deal for me to just slide it on the belt, but there are some who would like the convenience of being able to take it on and off without removing their belt.

Also, probably the wrong thread to post to but I really wish Leatherman would have ditched the scissors on the Wave and kept the Awl. Is the awl considered an obsolete tool or something? I think the scissors kind of suck and I never need them. I can cut anything I need to with either of the two blades I already have. However, I can't easily hack another tool to duplicate the functionality of the awl. I guess it's a good thing my SAK has one, though it's still a bit of a disappointment.

What do you use the awl for. I have them on my SAK since I was a kid and never really used it for anything, except to poke a few bugs with.

an awl is good for:

adding belt notches-if you get thinner or get a belt too large-ah those were the days

starting a hole for a wood screw, or in some cases even a metal screw

reaming out or enlarging existing holes in wood, plastic, - the awl edge is quite sharp and is a makeshift drilll to some extent

scoring a line for cutting in harder material

and while ive not used it-its an awl-ie you can thread course thread and sew with it-most 'real awls' are considerably thinner needles-still quit stout- but the SAK awl would do for harnesses and other heavy heavy leather with very large thread and large spacing between holes

cleaning out grooves, larger threads

Back