Anyone EDC Only a SAK?

The Mini Maglight pouch is a good idea. I bought my first Pioneer in the last month. Nice little SAK. I started carrying a Vic Tinker years ago and went though various changes (soldier, etc) and have settled on the large 111mm Vic Adventurer with the side lock feature. I is a fairly large Vic, but I generally EDC it almost exclusively. But, on the same day I got the Pioneer, I also picked up a small Hen & Rooster Stockman (3.3" closed length) thinking I wanted to give the peanut thing a try. It is a bit larger than a peanut, but it's certainly in the size range. Been carrying it every day and to my surprise, it does just about everything I need. I do miss the tweezers especially on my SAK. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

I have read Carl's journey (Jackknife) with knives and mine is similar; just not as advanced as him where he has pretty much settled on small slip joints mostly. I still like modern's every now and then. But my folding knife size has been shrinking slowly.

The one feature I just can't seem to want to use is the little scissors.

This has been a neat thread,I hope it sticks around. Just to add to my experience, I'm still carrying my Explorer +, I find the pen is indispensible as I am so often without any other writing tool. My Tinker Deluxe just sits on the shelf forlornly. It has the pliers on it, and I found the pliers to be worst than nothing. Those SAK pliers are fine on small nuts or bolts or for twisting wire even, but more often than not I needed to turn something and didn't have a wrench in sight. I don't know how much time I wasted trying to get that little plier to turn a tightend nut that was way too big for it. I'll be giving it away eventually as it deserves to be carried by someone who will use it.
A good SAK is all I have ever needed. Mine has 4 layers on it and a reassuring weight to it such that I miss it when I've accidentally left it behind.

....A good SAK is all I have ever needed. Mine has 4 layers on it and a reassuring weight to it such that I miss it when I've accidentally left it behind.
Now that is one way to look at the pocket bricks. I'm a two-layer SAK person. I have threes' and fours, but need a pouch for those to carry them comfortably.

I EDC a Cadet or a Pioneer at work. I use an S-Clip for vertical carry, which I find extremely comfortable.

During my off-time, I typically carry a locking folder. Sometimes I carry my Cadet or Pioneer as backup, depending on what I plan on doing that day.

Now that is one way to look at the pocket bricks. I'm a two-layer SAK person. I have threes' and fours, but need a pouch for those to carry them comfortably.

I EDC a Cadet or a Pioneer at work. I use an S-Clip for vertical carry, which I find extremely comfortable...

Dangling them into your pocket magically makes 3s and 4s bearable. There are several ways to do this. S-clip is one, Vic offers a belt-mounted gizzy for the purpose, but I use a length of paracord with a lobster clip on one end and a thick knot on the other. The knot tucks securely onto the belt top but easily detachable when needing the SAK. It works best with jeans, which is what I wear 96.2% of the time, because of the high pockets, less so with slacks or suit slash pockets. My everyday paracord is black, but for outdoor purposes, I use orange for visibility in case the SAK gets lost or misplaced, but so far, in years, it never happened. If somehow the knot slips under the belt, the SAK is still inside your pocket. If you are a jeans wearer who doesn't like belt pouches, you might give it a try.

Last edited:
I EDC the SAK Explorer. I'm a pretty young guy too. I just don't see the point in carrying a huge folder all the time when the SAK blade gets almost all of my cutting tasks done.

My "big folders'' are also SAKs (130mm Ranger series).
If I need the big blade, I usually need that big saw too.

da443decff266aae8b9e8498ac520bda.jpg

Last edited:
Although this thread has been quiet for a while, I thought I'd join in and answer the Q. One of the responses was pretty neat, and I agree. bt93 said:
This has been a neat thread, I hope it sticks around.
BTW, I'm very much a newbie to BF, and also will post some photos for the very first time.

For over 33 years I've almost always carried my SAK in my right front pocket. If not there, it was most noticeable. I cannot remember the model, since back then I wasn't really "into knives," but found the multi-tool SAK extremely handy and useful. I've checked on different web sites, and have found that my oldie matches exactly the current model, Swiss Army Spartan. Here it is:

DSCN1110_zpssciz0rtg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This summer I've become much more interested in knives, and got a new SAK. It's completely different than my Spartan, and I've enjoyed carrying it as an occasional belt EDC. It's a Victorinox Swiss Army Hunter Pro.

DSCN1323_zpspnrcqfn3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1327_zps7p6m0h1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

But more often than not, the Spartan reclaims the pocket and we head out for the day.

I did find another pocket SAK in my "window shopping" this summer, and even as I write this, it is being shipped to me. For appearance, I love silver or gray against black (the Hunter Pro), and I especially like all-around silver color. What I'm getting is a new pocket multi-tool, the Victorinox SA Farmer (Silver Alox). No picture yet because it's not in hand. If I can relocate this thread again (BF is really a maze of posts!!), I might post that picture when I add it to my collection.

Victorinox Swiss Army are great knives....glad I own them.

Finally, I have an easy question for anyone. I noticed in the Forums list there is not a dedicated title of either "Victorinox" or "Swiss Army." Is the forum titled "SwissBianco" where this brand knives are mainly discussed? Interesting.

Have a great day!

Although this thread has been quiet for a while, I thought I'd join in and answer the Q. One of the responses was pretty neat, and I agree. bt93 said: BTW, I'm very much a newbie to BF, and also will post some photos for the very first time.

For over 33 years I've almost always carried my SAK in my right front pocket. If not there, it was most noticeable. I cannot remember the model, since back then I wasn't really "into knives," but found the multi-tool SAK extremely handy and useful. I've checked on different web sites, and have found that my oldie matches exactly the current model, Swiss Army Spartan. Here it is:

DSCN1110_zpssciz0rtg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Glad you are enjoying your Swiss Army knives, but the one in your photograph is not the Spartan, but the Climber. It has one additional implement, scissors, which the Spartan does not. OTOH, I like the looks of your Hunter Pro, had never seen one before. I'm going to look into this ASAP.

I plan on looking at the Hunter Pro's next time I am at a certain big knife store. They stock just about every SAK model.

I have 7 SAKs of different sizes. They are all great. I just feel too limited without a needle nose pliers, and I HATE doing any medium-to-hard screwdriver tasks with the side folding phillips... To each their own though. I love my SAKs, but I rarely carry them over one or another leatherman.

I have the Classic, Alox Pioneer X, Alox Cadet, 2 Fieldmasters, OHT, Rucksack.

I also prefer the Gerber Curve to the Classic, because I often need a stronger flathead for prying... and a friend of mine always forgets his bottle opener. I do miss the scissors when I carry that though (current backup to my EDC is a LM Squirt).

I might try pairing the Alox Cadet with a larger folder in the future.

I've about 50 or so SAKS, both Vics and Wengers. I EDC a Deluxe Tinker in a belt pouch when going out and a Standard (91mm) Tinker at home since I have access to my regular tools at home. As I've gotten older (a lot older), I also EDC either a Kershaw Oso-Sweet or Kershaw Drone (no longer made). I like having a OHO when I need a cane. My wife EDCs a Vic Climber in her purse and a classic on her key chain. Can't ever be without a SAK. So many style to choose from; some with too few tools, some with way to many. Don't like the new VIC (Wenger) Evo series - very uncomforable to hold in hand. Also for me anything over 91 mm is too big. I have a Trekker, but wish it didn't have the saw (wish a could mod it and remove the saw layer). At any rate,SAKs are the best darned working knives around. I'll never be without one of some model. SAKS RULE!
Rich

Although this thread has been quiet for a while, I thought I'd join in and answer the Q. One of the responses was pretty neat, and I agree. bt93 said: BTW, I'm very much a newbie to BF, and also will post some photos for the very first time.

DSCN1110_zpssciz0rtg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This summer I've become much more interested in knives, and got a new SAK. It's completely different than my Spartan, and I've enjoyed carrying it as an occasional belt EDC. It's a Victorinox Swiss Army Hunter Pro.

DSCN1323_zpspnrcqfn3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN1327_zps7p6m0h1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

But more often than not, the Spartan reclaims the pocket and we head out for the day.

I did find another pocket SAK in my "window shopping" this summer, and even as I write this, it is being shipped to me. For appearance, I love silver or gray against black (the Hunter Pro), and I especially like all-around silver color. What I'm getting is a new pocket multi-tool, the Victorinox SA Farmer (Silver Alox). No picture yet because it's not in hand. If I can relocate this thread again (BF is really a maze of posts!!), I might post that picture when I add it to my collection.

Victorinox Swiss Army are great knives....glad I own them.

Finally, I have an easy question for anyone. I noticed in the Forums list there is not a dedicated title of either "Victorinox" or "Swiss Army." Is the forum titled "SwissBianco" where this brand knives are mainly discussed? Interesting.

Have a great day!

It is a Tinker, not a Spartan, a very important difference since the added tool (Scissors) gives a lot of versatility, specially in urban EDC. I got rid of my Spartan but kept my 2 Climbers/Tinkers, as I find Vic scissors so darn good for almost anything, from medical use, to packages and boxes, mail and plastic opening, cord and zip ties, cardboard and paper...

Swissbianco is a special dealer/seller of Victorinox knives. He has exclusive models and unique variations of some Vic designs and SAKs, but he is not official Victoinox representative, and has recently stopped doing business with the brand.

Glad you are enjoying your Swiss Army knives, but the one in your photograph is not the Spartan, but the Climber. It has one additional implement, scissors, which the Spartan does not. OTOH, I like the looks of your Hunter Pro, had never seen one before. I'm going to look into this ASAP.

Looks are sexy, I recommend checking one out. Prettier than the Soldier IMO, there are different colors available, and ergos are spot on. I use them while trekking in the mountains, they work flawlessly and give nice purchase/don't get cold

I plan on looking at the Hunter Pro's next time I am at a certain big knife store. They stock just about every SAK model.

I have 7 SAKs of different sizes. They are all great. I just feel too limited without a needle nose pliers, and I HATE doing any medium-to-hard screwdriver tasks with the side folding phillips... To each their own though. I love my SAKs, but I rarely carry them over one or another leatherman.

I have the Classic, Alox Pioneer X, Alox Cadet, 2 Fieldmasters, OHT, Rucksack.

I also prefer the Gerber Curve to the Classic, because I often need a stronger flathead for prying... and a friend of mine always forgets his bottle opener. I do miss the scissors when I carry that though (current backup to my EDC is a LM Squirt).

I might try pairing the Alox Cadet with a larger folder in the future.

I also hate not having NN Pliers, so always carry some MT even if smaller than the SAk itself, as I find myself in need of those pliers on occasion. SAK pliers don't work for me...

CAM02873_zpsbapwvzim.jpg

But since I also find myself doing some tough prying from time to time, I always pair the SAK with either mini MT + prybar

CAM03120_zps19ftljpk.jpg

or SAK + Big MT

CAM03624_zpsivs6en7k.jpg

Also, about SAK + OHO folder, it works well, specially if the folder is lightweight and the other tools not so big. In fact it's my most carried combination: SAK + OHO Folder + Pliers of some sort

CAM02731_zpsdq1hgzj9.jpg

CAM03771_zpsialk5kgc.jpg

Folder's quick acces and ergos are just so good to pass on

CAM03144_zpssx9hvp07.jpg

I've about 50 or so SAKS, both Vics and Wengers. I EDC a Deluxe Tinker in a belt pouch when going out and a Standard (91mm) Tinker at home since I have access to my regular tools at home. As I've gotten older (a lot older), I also EDC either a Kershaw Oso-Sweet or Kershaw Drone (no longer made). I like having a OHO when I need a cane. My wife EDCs a Vic Climber in her purse and a classic on her key chain. Can't ever be without a SAK. So many style to choose from; some with too few tools, some with way to many. Don't like the new VIC (Wenger) Evo series - very uncomforable to hold in hand. Also for me anything over 91 mm is too big. I have a Trekker, but wish it didn't have the saw (wish a could mod it and remove the saw layer). At any rate,SAKs are the best darned working knives around. I'll never be without one of some model. SAKS RULE!
Rich

I also wish the Trekker/Soldier had no saw, as I barely use them and think the flocking flathead is awesome. The Trekker would be ideal thickness without that extra layer, and is so ergonomic it's a pity no saw-less version is offered!

CAM04464_zpsdg7xebmb.jpg

CAM04438_zpssicvhefb.jpg

It's also one of my favorites, and I also own many SAKs, but just can't get myself to mod it, I'd mess it up.

Thanks for pointing out that my oldie is not the Spartan. I wasn't sure, but when comparing to current models, I did miss the fact that I have the scissors. And those are really a great tool.

I then noticed other comments. One stated mine is the Tinker. But the Tinker has a Phillips screwdriver, which mine does not have.

I also looked at the Climber. But I don't have the multi-purpose hook (parcel carrier).
So back to searching and trying to peg my older SAK....this is actually fun to do!

For those folk who commented on my Hunter Pro. I really like the handle and color configuration on mine. But there is another model of this knife on the Victorinox web site that has a wood handle. It is really cool, too. You might want to check it out, as well.

Thanks to all, and have a great day!

Appreciate the clarification on Swissbianco and Victorinox. So on BF, there isn't a dedicated forum to Victorinox. That helps in my searches for discussions about SAKs. Thanks!

Swissbianco is a special dealer/seller of Victorinox knives. He has exclusive models and unique variations of some Vic designs and SAKs, but he is not official Victoinox representative, and has recently stopped doing business with the brand.

Thanks for pointing out that my oldie is not the Spartan. I wasn't sure, but when comparing to current models, I did miss the fact that I have the scissors. And those are really a great tool.

I then noticed other comments. One stated mine is the Tinker. But the Tinker has a Phillips screwdriver, which mine does not have.

I also looked at the Climber. But I don't have the multi-purpose hook (parcel carrier).
So back to searching and trying to peg my older SAK....this is actually fun to do!

For those folk who commented on my Hunter Pro. I really like the handle and color configuration on mine. But there is another model of this knife on the Victorinox web site that has a wood handle. It is really cool, too. You might want to check it out, as well.

Thanks to all, and have a great day!

The hook is on the current, updated version of the Climber. I don't know exactly when Vic started putting them on their 3 and + multi-layer SAKs, but I have a Swisschamp from the early 1990s that has one. It was sometime earlier than that when none of them were so equipped. In the @ mid-1970s, I bought a Victorinox Climber for my wife, which is exactly like the one in your photo, with the same no skyhook.

Regrets if you enjoy tracking down mysteries, but I believe this one is solved.

znapschatz -- Appreciate the knife info, and although not needed, the "regrets." With the historical adjust to the Climber model, I don't think I would have easily found that out. I got mine in the early 1980s. So it's great to know that I have a Climber! :triumphant:

Yes, I do like to "track down mysteries," but in this case, Sherlock would have gotten quite white-haired searching for this answer! Thanks again.

The hook is on the current, updated version of the Climber. I don't know exactly when Vic started putting them on their 3 and + multi-layer SAKs, but I have a Swisschamp from the early 1990s that has one. It was sometime earlier than that when none of them were so equipped. In the @ mid-1970s, I bought a Victorinox Climber for my wife, which is exactly like the one in your photo, with the same no skyhook.

Regrets if you enjoy tracking down mysteries, but I believe this one is solved.

znapschatz -- Appreciate the knife info, and although not needed, the "regrets." With the historical adjust to the Climber model, I don't think I would have easily found that out. I got mine in the early 1980s. So it's great to know that I have a Climber! :triumphant:

Yes, I do like to "track down mysteries," but in this case, Sherlock would have gotten quite white-haired searching for this answer! Thanks again.

There is a good source for researching the various SAK models called SAKWIKI.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Climber

That's where I checked this out. Give it a try.

Back