Anyone EDC Only a SAK?

Appreciate the clarification on Swissbianco and Victorinox. So on BF, there isn't a dedicated forum to Victorinox. That helps in my searches for discussions about SAKs. Thanks!

Hmm.. yeah, that's interesting how the very old manufacturer Vixtorinox doesn't have its own section, when it has so much variety. Never noticed that.

Guess there would be a lot of chatter here if there was any chatter at all.

Hmm.. yeah, that's interesting how the very old manufacturer Vixtorinox doesn't have its own section, when it has so much variety. Never noticed that.

Guess there would be a lot of chatter here if there was any chatter at all.

I agree. Victorinox should have their own section and Multi-tools another.

Thanks for pointing out that my oldie is not the Spartan. I wasn't sure, but when comparing to current models, I did miss the fact that I have the scissors. And those are really a great tool.

I then noticed other comments. One stated mine is the Tinker. But the Tinker has a Phillips screwdriver, which mine does not have.

I also looked at the Climber. But I don't have the multi-purpose hook (parcel carrier).
So back to searching and trying to peg my older SAK....this is actually fun to do!

For those folk who commented on my Hunter Pro. I really like the handle and color configuration on mine. But there is another model of this knife on the Victorinox web site that has a wood handle. It is really cool, too. You might want to check it out, as well.

Thanks to all, and have a great day!

It's still a Climber, but an older model. The Climber did not originally have the parcel hook. It has changed over the years. The Parcel hook was added in 1991.

Last edited:
Well I often only carry a pioneer x... but that is partially due to the knife laws here.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Looked at the Hunter Pro the other day in a store. I decided it wasn't worth spending the money on since I have plenty of larger folders already. I feel sure it's a good knife. Just not for me for now.

Long curious read below, beware! :D

Curious thing happened yesterday.
I was at the cafe and my sister showed me the book she had gottten herself (she's studying Art & Design) about The Most influential Designs in history. While browsing the book I spotted a Wenger in one of the pages, and here's the thing: it was the same Wenger I was currently carrying at the moment. Of course, a pic was needed to remember that moment in the future.

CAM04875_zps06xpw6xj.jpg

Only difference was the presence of the linerlock and the file, which was looking to the other side than the one from the Wenger in the book.
We both were pretty amazed that of all my SAKs it was that the one in my pocket, pretty rare thing to happen. Same model, same tools.

CAM04877_zpsuq1aikuk.jpg

Text from the pic is in Spanish, but it more or less says:

"Swiss army knife from Wenger, 1970. This combination of blade and other tools was originally designed in 1908. This piece is a small sample belonging to the permanent collection found at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. (yup, the famous MoMa)."

I didn't know that fact!

Hi all.
I generally carry a SAK (usually a Champion Plus) everyday in addition to a modern folder or large traditional. However, this past summer I spent a few weeks in Australia riding and working with horses, and due to their laws I did not feel comfortable bringing the knives I would normally have for outdoor horse work. I bought a Victorinox Pioneer X specifically for the trip, and that was my sole EDC for those weeks. I was a little wary of not having something "more capable" with me, but the Pioneer amazed me with its capability. While gone, I used it for just about everything. I carved wood, cut lots twine and zipties, used the awl to widen holes in leather stirrup leathers, and did everything else I needed to. It shrugged it all off without a problem, and I simply sharpened it back to a razor edge on the bottom of a coffee mug when needed. When I returned home, I almost immediately put my ZT in my pocket, but definitely not out of necessity. From now on, I will be totally comfortable EDCing nothing but a Swiss Army Knife if conditions dictate, no matter what I foresee myself encountering.

For about the last 6 years now I have been carrying, or have with me, a black Alox Pioneer. If its not on my keychain I pocket carry it. Most of the black has worn off and it is now a scratched up silver Alox colour. It is a solid knife, and if it was the only thing I had on me I wouldn't worry too much.

Before the Pioneer, I carried a Recruit for about 10 years, and prior to that the Classic (going back about 25 yrs). I have long since lost the Classic but have replaced it many times, most recently with a black alox version (no toothpick or tweezers).

Working from a home office I often tote around the Swisschamp when I am not out on the road. If it is not in my pocket it is on my desk within easy reach.

I have always been a fan of SAK's (both Victorinox and Wenger versions) and like millions of others would highly recommend them to anybody, whether Knifenuts or not.

Cheers!

A confession.

Since moving to Texas last October 28th, a SAK has been more and more my sole edc pocket knife. I've always had a love of Sak's, since 1969 when I got my first one. Since then, no matter what my knife was, like the Buck stockman that was my edc from the late 60's to the early 80's, I always had a SAK someplace close. In a backpack, a shooting bag, fishing kit. Many times the regular knife of the day got left home or in the barracks when I chose to carry just a SAK to lighten my load. A SAK is just toooo handy to leave home.

We arrived in Texas on Novemeber 2d, and we were encamped at my sister in laws place while looking for a home. A few days after arriving, we were downtown on the courthouse square and I saw a antique/junk shop. Now, I NEVER go into the 'antique' shops because I consider them rip off's with fake 'antique' junk. But for some very odd reason, I felt really compelled to go in this one. Usual over priced junk, including a case with some old broken up pocket knives that were not worth much, mostly chinese stuff that had aged badly.

But…

Right there in the middle of the junk knives, I saw the red handle scales. I asked to see it and the lady unlocked the case. What I found was a fairly new tinker, original edge on both blades, tools looking like they had never been used, but the whole knife was encased in dirt. Like it had once been carried for a little while after purchase under very dirty conditions, but never used. Ten bucks. I talked her down to eight, and took it home for a good warm water and Dawn bath and scrubbing with an old toothbrush. What I had was a very nice almost never used tinker. Over the next 10 months I used and carried it more and more. It started to become my new edc. It was a very weird thing because I'd never have gone into that junk shop normally. Like some lesser of the Red Gods Of Fate took a hand, and the tinker has become very compelling to me. On the occasions I leave it home and carry another of my very small handful of pocket knives, I can't wait to get home and put the tinker back in my pocket. Weird!

In the past ten and a half months in our time in Texas, the tinker has become my 99% of the time sole edc. Aside from the ever present classic in the leather keyring sheath. I may do a give away with the last few 'regular' pocket knives I have left. I've been doing very well with just that tinker in my pocket.

Last edited:
I'm almost never without a Pioneer or Farmer. No matter what I'm carrying the SAK is in a horizontal belt sheath - it's basically a part of my pants belt - so if I'm wearing pants then there's a Farmer or Pioneer there.

To me an SAK is a multi-tool that happens to have a darned good blade on it. I very rarely use the blade, but the tools get frequent use, including the saw on the Farmer.

Long curious read below, beware! :D

Curious thing happened yesterday.
I was at the cafe and my sister showed me the book she had gottten herself (she's studying Art & Design) about The Most influential Designs in history. While browsing the book I spotted a Wenger in one of the pages, and here's the thing: it was the same Wenger I was currently carrying at the moment. Of course, a pic was needed to remember that moment in the future.

CAM04875_zps06xpw6xj.jpg

Only difference was the presence of the linerlock and the file, which was looking to the other side than the one from the Wenger in the book.
We both were pretty amazed that of all my SAKs it was that the one in my pocket, pretty rare thing to happen. Same model, same tools.

CAM04877_zpsuq1aikuk.jpg

Text from the pic is in Spanish, but it more or less says:

"Swiss army knife from Wenger, 1970. This combination of blade and other tools was originally designed in 1908. This piece is a small sample belonging to the permanent collection found at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. (yup, the famous MoMa)."

I didn't know that fact!

Hmm.. so a linerlock does exist for the 91mm models. Just add a OH nub onto a 91mm bantam 1-layer alox and bam, best EDC ever.

Hmm.. so a linerlock does exist for the 91mm models. Just add a OH nub onto a 91mm bantam 1-layer alox and bam, best EDC ever.

Liner locks do exist on the OHO Soldier and a few other models (not sure which). The Evo grip has a back lock, which is very secure. Like any lock it is an added safety feature, and you have to be careful not to press the "Lock" lever when in use. If you do disengage the back lock by accident the blade has a half stop. It's a very cool setup. Also the flathead screwdriver locks when pressure is applied to it to prevent it from snapping closed on your fingers, which has always been a grip of mine with the SAK flathead blades, but I've learned to just hold onto the scales instead of wrapping my fingers around the knife when I use the flathead screwdriver blade.

Cheers!

These days - yes.

I must admit that I lost touch with Sak's for years. I generally carried a non locking single blade which complied with our nanny state UK laws, and often a Stockman, which is my favourite knife pattern.
After reading threads like this, I bought a Camper (white scales for a change though). I was impressed and then bought a Farmer, which I liked even more.

They really are so much better than I remember and the extra tools are often useful.

Tell me though guys....
I can't see this fascination with having scissors? People went ga ga when the Pioneer X was announced.
I'd rather have the Farmer with the saw. I mean, with scissors, we have them in the kitchen, there are always some in the drawer of the lounge coffee table and are always around at work on desks etc. So, what is this fascination with having them on a knife?. They are also my least used function.

I'll probably order a Pioneer X anyway - just to have one in the collection....;)

16anndi.jpg

210zxaw.jpg

Tell me though guys....
I can't see this fascination with having scissors? People went ga ga when the Pioneer X was announced.
I'd rather have the Farmer with the saw. I mean, with scissors, we have them in the kitchen, there are always some in the drawer of the lounge coffee table and are always around at work on desks etc. So, what is this fascination with having them on a knife?. They are also my least used function.

I'll probably order a Pioneer X anyway - just to have one in the collection....;)

I have yet to purchase a Pioneer X, but IMO, the Scissors feature on the Pioneer would be more useful in day-to-day use than would the saw on my Farmer. TBH, I hardly ever use the SAK saw, as good as it is. When working out in my yard, any required sawing is done with one of my three larger saws that I have specifically for yardwork. With the scissors, one can do some on-the-fly grooming (nose hairs, etc. :p), trim loose threads, trim fingernails, cut paper, etc. I know the last three can be accomplished with the knife blade, but scissors are more precise. Of course, if the saw on the SAK is needed and it's the only one you happen to have, it is invaluable. But that almost never happens for me.

I don't really "need" a Pioneer X, because my Executive SAK already has a slightly smaller pair of scissors. I could easily get by carrying my regular Alox Pioneer and my Executive as a complementary team.

Jim

Tell me though guys....

I never thought much about scissors until I started to carry a little classic on my keyring. The truth is, I'd rather do without my tinker than my classic because Ihave fond the scissors and SD tip nail file to be so useful in day to day life. The scissors cut stuff with so much more precision and cleaner than a knife blade. Those little plastic mustard packs, a broken finger nail, or trimming fishing line, and other small things that a knife blade won't do well. I love my SAK scissors. I'd definitely rather have scissors than a saw, me being a retired suburban gentleman of leisure. On the other hand, I have little use for the saw, as I have a real folding saw on hand in my hiking bag and garden kit. To me, the SAK saw is a half measure and I'd rather have my Opinel or Fiskars saw with real sawing capability over some little 2 1/2 inch saw with a 2 inch stroke. If I have no saw with me, it's just as easy to cut a V notch around a sapling or limb and just snap it off at the stress line.

Each to their own, and YMMV.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Yes, different strokes I suppose.

I was more thinking along the lines of being out and about and it's the only item on me.
In other words I'm not out camping / fishing etc and not in the garden / at home and have no access to other tools such as a saw.
If I were to get caught out and find myself in a possible survival situation, I'd rather have the saw available than scissors - if that makes sense.

In saying that, after reading your comments I can see the appeal of having the scissors a bit more now.

I never thought much about scissors until I started to carry a little classic on my keyring. The truth is, I'd rather do without my tinker than my classic because Ihave fond the scissors and SD tip nail file to be so useful in day to day life. The scissors cut stuff with so much more precision and cleaner than a knife blade. Those little plastic mustard packs, a broken finger nail, or trimming fishing line, and other small things that a knife blade won't do well. I love my SAK scissors. I'd definitely rather have scissors than a saw, me being a retired suburban gentleman of leisure.

All that might be true of the "full size" SAK scissors, but my experience with the Classic sized ones is they are very limited in what they can handle. Toenail clipping can be quite a challenge, and even mustache trimming is like one or three whiskers at a time. My Rambler is useful for all kinds of small chores, but the scissors are a very last resort, and even then often inadequate.

Even though not a whole lot bigger, the regular SAK scissors are much more versatile.

On the other hand, I have little use for the saw, as I have a real folding saw on hand in my hiking bag and garden kit. To me, the SAK saw is a half measure and I'd rather have my Opinel or Fiskars saw with real sawing capability over some little 2 1/2 inch saw with a 2 inch stroke. If I have no saw with me, it's just as easy to cut a V notch around a sapling or limb and just snap it off at the stress line.

Each to their own, and YMMV.

As for the saw, I agree when it is those on the 91/93 mm models, but I use the one on my OH Trekker a whole bunch. Purpose made portables, like my 7 and 10 inch Coronas, are much better. I carry them on my belt when doing "serious" yard work, but when I'm not in full yard work mode but need one (most of the time,) the OH Trekker saw that is always with me does the job well enough.

All that might be true of the "full size" SAK scissors, but my experience with the Classic sized ones is they are very limited in what they can handle. Toenail clipping can be quite a challenge, and even mustache trimming is like one or three whiskers at a time. My Rambler is useful for all kinds of small chores, but the scissors are a very last resort, and even then often inadequate.

Even though not a whole lot bigger, the regular SAK scissors are much more versatile.

As I said, YMMV.

....In the past ten and a half months in our time in Texas, the tinker has become my 99% of the time sole edc. Aside from the ever present classic in the leather keyring sheath. I may do a give away with the last few 'regular' pocket knives I have left. I've been doing very well with just that tinker in my pocket.

Ah, sad to see you stray away from your peanuts. ;) But you can always change back if you want to. The Tinker was in fact my very first SAK in the early to mid-1980's. Before that, I thought they were toys for kids and not a "real knife". The Tinker was my companion for years. Took a brief time off with the alox soldier (around 1990). Probably misplaced my Tinker and picked the soldier up to replace or try out. This was during my gunshow attending days and I probably misplaced the soldier.... saw the 111mm Adventurer at a show. Bought it and it has been "nearly my everyday" carry knife for over 15 years.

Your posts about peanuts and other small slip joints have always interested me. I picked up a small Hen & Rooster stockman (3.3" closed) with stag handles to try out as my "peanut" (not really a peanut however). Remember I'm used to carrying a 4.25" SAK. It felt small... But, I discovered I could do almost all of the knife tasks I normally do with larger folders for the most part, but I missed my SAK Adventurer. The Adventurer is back in my pocket and the little H&R is sitting on my desk should I want to carry it.

Back