removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man.. I can hardly wait 2 days for shipping, I don't think I could handle 20+ years haha. From the right person/shop I bet I could wait 5-10 years, but that's about all I could muster.

Hope it gets turned out soon for you, though.

Wow you are such a patient man. I would rather spend double or triple of the original price on secondary market than waiting for 5-10 years.

That doesn't seem right to me. Disparity on the part of the consumer while the producer vacations in colorado. "Oh ok I'll call back in a couple years thanks" lol

No disrespect, but wow..... why would anyone wait 20 years for a blade? IMO there is no blade in the entire world worth waiting that long. If you do not have your knife by now I would seriously get my money back even its it's possible. o_O

Six months would be max, hell if I waited 20 years I would be dead

If you paid for a knife, you're owed a knife and Ernie has made many many many custom knives in that time. If you still have your receipt/proof of purchase you are owed that knife post haste at this point or your money and 20 years of interest.
If you didn't pay then rest assured there are many talented custom knife makers that will make a great blade for you far sooner than 20 years later.
Best of luck to you in a speedy resolution from here forward.

And what about those knife lotteries? Doesnt he sell a years worth of customs in an hour to lucky customers? Shouldnt he be squaring away the old list rather than taking new money from people who havent waited at all? Heck might as well start taking new orders too lol!

I had placed an order for a custom CQC 6 in the early to mid 90's (Or was it earlier?). I can not remember when I placed the order, nor can I remember when I contacted Emerson and found out that they lost my order, nor can I remember if I called them or E-mailed them. It was so long ago, I can barely remember this.......

That's right how is he producing new customs for knife lotteries. I know that he is a busy man but leaving you hanging for 20+ years, something doesn't seem right.

So did you pay something upfront?

I got myself on the custom waiting list around 1998 or so, just before Mr Emerson closed the books. I knew it would be a long wait of 10+ years and so every time I moved, I'd email the generic info@emersonknives.com with my new address, and I was getting replies and also confirmation that I was still in the books.

I met Mary Emerson at an event around 8 years ago and she suggested that I check in on occasion on the custom order because, to use her words "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" so I started emailing annually which seemed reasonable without being annoying. I was getting responses regularly saying "still on the books" and I felt good about that because I knew my knife would get made eventually.

The last several years I haven't gotten any responses when I email in to check on my order or update my address. I called in a year or two ago and the gentleman who answered the phone said Mr Emerson himself controls the customs books and he would route my verbal message to him, but I also did not get a reply.

I don't want to be annoying but I feel like I should at least get a response when I send in an email with my address update to say "yes, we received it, and you're still on the books." I've personally experienced several hard drive crashes over the last 20 years so it's nice to know my order didn't get lost.

I am completely okay if it takes another 10 or 20 years to make the knife, as long as I know I'm still on the list and it will still be made. I know Mr Emerson still regularly makes customs since I see auctions and lotteries going on a few times every year. Anyone else here still on the books for a custom and if so, have you been successful in getting responses on address updates? I apologize if come across as rude, that is not my intention. I love Emerson knife designs and can't wait to own my first custom!

With all of the lotteries Ernie has done he most certainly could have gotten your custom order completed by now.

My thoughts are that you are no longer on the list. The fact that you haven't left a deposit would just about guarantee that IMO. I would contact him personally so that either you get your custom or can move on and pick up another elsewhere. I am sure it will be much less wait than 20 years.

2- There has been many lotteries over the years, but I understand the desire for a knifemaker to balance custom orders and lotteries because the custom orders serve long-time customers that have been waiting for years, whereas the lotteries can serve newer customers that didn't get on the list before it closed. Of course it feels bad to see lotteries occur when my order that's around 20 years old or so hasn't been fulfilled, but I understand it and am not mad about it.

I admire your attitude and your patience. But I completely disagree with your assessment. In my view, there is no excuse for any maker selling a single knife via a lottery or to a purveyor when he has even one customer still waiting for a backorder. What does that say about the importance of the customer? If he has the time to make custom knives, he owes it to those on the waiting list to make theirs first.

I realize that some of what Emerson sells are prototypes for new models being considered for manufacture by EKI. That's different. But I've seen plenty of custom versions of established patterns being offered over the years, too. In my opinion, that's wrong; it's taking advantage of the good will of people who simply wanted an Emerson custom and were willing to wait.

F7ccHLY.jpg

Zq1UXKP.jpg

o782dqs.jpg

I hope that someone from Emerson Knives sees your post, bvo85, and steps in to ensure that you get your knife. I should say that after almost twenty years of waiting, you've earned it!

-Steve

Last edited:
production emerson knives are good enough for me.

no way id wait 10 years or 20 for anything. heck i could be dead by then or have no job or my tastes/needs have changed, etc etc.

seems beyond ridiculous, but too each their own.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back