Anyone ever heat colorize the titanium scales?

Has anyone done any flame/heat colorizing of the titanium scales on a CRK?

(sharp intake of breath by the audience)

I'm sure that would void the warranty, but still, I'm wondering. Pictures would be awesome.

I'm not sure how it would turn out with the blasted finish. Most heat coloring I have seen was on smooth(ish) surfaces.

If I am not mistaken, the blue colors are achieved through the electrical process, not the heat anodize.

^^^^OMG Officer's Match! That is awesome.

Damn you bladeforums and the CRK sub forum!!! I just dropped money I had to scrape together to get a Umnumzaan! I sold off another 'grail' to do it. I have a sickness, and it's bad. What am I to do?!? This place is feeding my addiction and I really, truly need to push back from the computer for awhile.

Mine was done by Chris Martin, pretty sure by torch.

Amazingly consistent job if done by a torch. Usually, torching will present variation in color. Kudos if that was indeed done by torch!

It does display some variation (which I like). Also note that he didn't polish or anodize the edges (for grip). What grabbed me on this one is the blue color - a lot of his work tend more into the bronze and magenta tones.

It does display some variation (which I like). Also note that he didn't polish or anodize the edges (for grip). What grabbed me on this one is the blue color - a lot of his work tend more into the bronze and magenta tones.

Beautiful knife. I really like how that came out. The blue and silver look great together.

Well, I am considering a DIY heat coloring project. But... maybe I better not practice on my (inbound) Umnumzaan. Maybe I should pick up something to practice on that's a little more cost effective to practice on.

Sorry if the pics of mine scared you:)

But I think it is a good idea to have something to practice on. The color of mine has changed a bit after a couple of days and now looks more dark bluish overall.
I don't know if this is typical or special to blasted finishes, which have more surface areas than a polished surface for oxidation.

I was actually thinking to heat-colorize my Umnumzaan as well, since I was happy with the result. But the slab is much much thicker than my practice scale (of Spydiechef), and I cannot predict whether it reacts similarly or not. If I would do it, I will polish the surface first.

Miso

I had a spydie techno and bought a torch just for this kind of project. Then sold the techno.... Definitely going to have to try this, so I suppose I will be looking for an inexpensive project knife.

Last edited:
Back