anyone knows if it's ok to carry sword knife in the wilderness in Canada AB ?

When at all possible carry a gun, I remember being told to drink the koolaid that in Canada you are safe in the bush and that bears are cute. After a lifetime of living in the Boreal west of lake Superior that this is not the case. Bears are unpredictable, it does not take much to piss one off. Accidentally getting between cubs and the mom can be a death sentence. Rogue males looking for a meal are another, more than once I've been named 'Dinner' by black bear and its scary. The hair stands on the end of one's back when the bear matches his step with yours, at that point the only thing that can be done is to take the aggressive stance. I make myself big, grab a large stick and hold it over one's head, scream and run at the bear, don't even think of running away from him. Chances are it will back off, if not then your in real trouble.

If you cannot carry a gun, at least carry a decent fixed blade as a last resort and for making weapons by sharpening the end of a stick to makeshift a spear. You need only to sharpen the stick, and keep your knife handy in its sheath. Carry bear spray, make noise talking or clapping to lessen the chances of spooking bear. In the tent at night is another thing, keep the camp fire burning when camping in known bear country.

Just had a random thought that I'll throw out for discussion:

What about a very bright flashlight? No, not the Walmart tacticool flashlights, but the expensive, really bright actual 1000+ lumens lights? Would the strobe function that most of these lights have be any use against a bear? Or just the "turbo" mode and dazzle the bear? Would the bear run away from, or towards the tasty human holding the bright light and making all kinds of noise?

I'd rather not find out the hard way that one would be better off crapping their pants than playing with their flashlight...

A bear isn't going to notice your flashlight. They're out in the day and use smell as their primary sense.

--edit--still learning the ins and outs of new software lol.

Instead of replying to a post from a year ago, I'll just loot the pic and post it up...
34518529205_c212e39056_z.jpg

Be sure to take a katana with you when enjoying the great outdoors in Canada, because those grizzlies and kodiaks always bow before the Master.

Last edited:
Back