AR-15 recommendations

For the better part of a decade now I've had a DPMS carbine. Other than a firing pin issue I've never had any problems with it. But unlike some I'm not putting hundreds of rounds through it every time I take it out, so I've never really pushed it to its limits, whatever they may be.

Recently I found Bushmaster rifles and carbines, A2 and A3 variants, for sale at prices not much different from similar DPMS models. I know DPMS is regarded as being the better name in the game, but just how much better are they for serious uses where one might be depending on them for their life? Is the difference in terms of quality worth purchasing another AR-15?

Given the choice between what you listed, I'd get the DPMS, something Gen II probably the Recon. Current Bushmasters are not the same company/rifle from the 90's and early 2000's.
Now a rifle to rely on for life and limb, Daniel Defense - BCM - Colt are great rifles. The cost more but IMO they are worth it if you want a high quality weapon you can count on. If you use your rifle regularly, learn it, push it as well as yourself it the initial cost soon becomes secondary to the cost of quality optics (unless you are committed to irons) , a few minimal accessories and the ammo that's consumed.
Getting into boutique rifles is not necessary unless that's your thing.
The majority of AR owners will buy 2 mags and shoot 100 rounds the first year they get the rifle then it gets pushed to the back of the safe or closet. A DPMS or S&W will serve them well as a reliable rifle. They are only a few dollars more than an AR with a roll mark no one has heard of and assembled by people who source parts from who knows where.

Last edited:
I have BCM/Spikes Tactical. Noveske is popular - WW, DD, and YHM as well. Those Tavor type rifles have horrific triggers.

Last time I bought some .45 acp at brick n mortar a vet was in there with his Bushmaster for service. He said it was the same rifle he was issued and the "POS" needed repairs all the time.

If it's what Dick's n Wally World carry, I'd steer clear.

I bought a Colt, and I wouldn't do it again. I'd buy another Arsenal AK instead - a 74 this time 'round.
ARs are, 'meh.'

I just built an Anderson lower and Radical upper for under $425 for my brother in law. The prices have come down so much after the election its impossible to not find a great deal. My safe is full but gonna build myself an AR pistol for the truck.

I'd go with a Colt or better yet get a BCM lower and upper separately and stick them together to save some money. I currently own a Colt, a couple BCMs, Rock River Arms (never again), and am saving up for a Knights Armament. Life is too short to deal with lower quality.

I would suggest building your own and getting what you really want.

Building an AR15 is simple.

Not many hardcore "AR guys" will get very excited about DPMS or Bushmaster these days, now that there are arguably better ARs on the market for very comparable prices. If I'm not mistaken, both companies have been acquired in the past few years and have nothing in common with their prior incarnations except the name. Windham Weaponry is the "old" Bushmaster, and reportedly builds some nice rifles for not too much money.

My first AR was a first-gen Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport (1:8 5R twist barrel) and it has been problem free except for not liking steel-cased Tula ammo. I have put together a couple of parts mutts using PSA uppers and lowers and have been pleased with them, and they are incredibly inexpensive right now. I guess if I was buying a complete brand-new AR right now, I would consider a Colt, FN or Armalite while prices are low.

Just build one. I have a WW SRC that I got cheap but after replacing stuff to get it how I want I could've built 2 of them.

Here's how it started

C980B547-FA1D-4C35-8FC0-273A0C6E8649_zpskomgalsb.jpg

Here's what it looks like today

DCD7CA6B-501A-4338-87F8-D7052271EFFC_zpsasbnu70z.jpg

I say build your own, you know have it your way. BCM, S&W, Spike's, Aero Precision and a lot more quality rifles out there now. Just do a little research and pick. I am a huge fan of BCM, Spikes and Aero.

Not many hardcore "AR guys" will get very excited about DPMS or Bushmaster these days, now that there are arguably better ARs on the market for very comparable prices. If I'm not mistaken, both companies have been acquired in the past few years and have nothing in common with their prior incarnations except the name.

This^. DPMS and Bushmaster are actually regarded as being on the low end of the quality/value spectrum these days. For my money, BCM or Scionics is going to be the best value, followed very closely by Colt. If you want to save some money, get a complete Palmetto State Armory lower and mate it up with a BCM upper.

Sense I have gotten into AR-15s I have found most all are Mil-spec. You can go as much over that as you want but Mil-spec works fine. I just traded my last build for a Colt Defender. It was a cheaper build and as cheap as they have gotten I was lucky to get a trade at all on it. My good one I also built. Spikes lower with higher end parts kit. Started with a DPMS upper with a Fail Zero BCG. The only parts of the DPMS upper that are left is the barrel and stripped upper. If I was looking for another right now I would build it. The one I just traded I had 550.00 in that that was with a nickel boron BCG and MOE furniture. Downgrade those two things and I could have done it for 450.00. Checking prices this weekend I might could do a basic AR for even less than that.

I really like my Daniel defense DDM4V11 pro- it's setup as more of a SPR, but I plan on getting 14.5" lighter weight Noveske, LWRC, or Barrett at some point as well.

A build will cost at least $500, and that is with a basic quality stripped lower, plus you need to add a rear iron sight. I've rarely seen a kit that comes with a mag so add another $12 for a PMag. You now have a functioning AR but very basis. Plus FFL fee to get the lower to your FFL.

PSA has the Ruger AR 556 for $449.99 Wouldn't it be cheaper to start with the Ruger and swap out barrel guard, and add optics? Or are you guys saying spend like $1000 and you will get much for that dollar amount via the home-build way?

U812 you can build a functioning AR, with usable sights and mag for $450? Just add ammo?

Wow. I'm honestly surprised at just how many people have been giving advice to build an AR-15 from scratch.

Folks, I don't know about the rest of you, but I really have no experience in doing sensitive work like that; especially when it involves the issue of correct headspacing.

A build will cost at least $500, and that is with a basic quality stripped lower, plus you need to add a rear iron sight. I've rarely seen a kit that comes with a mag so add another $12 for a PMag. You now have a functioning AR but very basis. Plus FFL fee to get the lower to your FFL.

PSA has the Ruger AR 556 for $449.99 Wouldn't it be cheaper to start with the Ruger and swap out barrel guard, and add optics? Or are you guys saying spend like $1000 and you will get much for that dollar amount via the home-build way?

U812 you can build a functioning AR, with usable sights and mag for $450? Just add ammo?
Yes,that was a couple months before the election. Don't know about now but the prices don't seem to have gone up any.
Lower with tax and background 65.00
Parts kit 60.00
stock 55.00
Anderson upper 199.00
cheap rear iron sight 25.00
mag 10.00
nickel boron BCG 109.00 mil spec would be about half this
Total 523.00
This is the route I went on the cheap pre election AR I built with the exception of a little more for the iron sights and I added a magpul stock.Functioned perfectly and very accurate. Just traded it on a Colt Defender.

Last edited:
Back