AR-15 recommendations

Wow. I'm honestly surprised at just how many people have been giving advice to build an AR-15 from scratch.

Folks, I don't know about the rest of you, but I really have no experience in doing sensitive work like that; especially when it involves the issue of correct headspacing.
There is really nothing that hard about it. Youtube is your friend. AR tool and a vice block is about the only special tools needed. Not had any headspacing issues at all. Not sure there would be on an AR as long as the locking lug is locking up to the barrel correctly.

The AR builds everyone is talking about here I assume start with a BCG and barrel that comes from the same manufacturer, those parts are "mated" with one another by the manufacturer, and they go into the kit you just bought.

Wow. I'm honestly surprised at just how many people have been giving advice to build an AR-15 from scratch.

Folks, I don't know about the rest of you, but I really have no experience in doing sensitive work like that; especially when it involves the issue of correct headspacing.

I stand (pleasantly)corrected. :)

Yes,that was a couple months before the election. Don't know about now but the prices don't seem to have gone up any.
Lower with tax and background 65.00
Parts kit 60.00
stock 55.00
Anderson upper 199.00
cheap rear iron sight 25.00
mag 10.00
nickel boron BCG 109.00 mil spec would be about half this
Total 523.00
This is the route I went on the cheap pre election AR I built with the exception of a little more for the iron sights and I added a magpul stock.Functioned perfectly and very accurate. Just traded it on a Colt Defender.

No need to build your own. Get a Colt 6920 OEM2 and add the grip, handguard/rail, rear sight, stock, and trigger guard of your choice. Hard to beat for a serious gun (not saying it can't be done, but for someone who doesn't know what he wants the 6920 is always a right answer).

35343035075_4ff8af3c6e_c.jpg

I would suggest building your own and getting what you really want.

Building an AR15 is simple.

This guy has the answer. You can buy a complete AR that'll do the trick, or you can build a custom to your own specifications. For around $1,200 you can have an absolutely incredible rifle.

In the other direction, you can build one a whole lot cheaper, but in my experience if it's going to be your primary AR you can justify splurging a bit.

Building a lower is not hard, but uppers can be a little difficult, and headspace is an issue to consider. Yeah, you might be able to do it, but you really won't save much money, and if you buy a complete rifle or upper/lower, you have a company to fall back on if you run into any issues. By the time you buy the necessary tools, you'll probably end up spending more money than a decent rifle. Once you learn the platform well, you can look into building one if you really want to. Check our M4Carbine.net if you want some great info on ARs. Those guys will set you straight.

The BCG and barrel do not have to be mated. I have never bought them together. All my BCGs have been new. I have heard that you might have trouble with a used BCG used in a different barrel than it was broken in on. Also heard that even that makes no difference. Not sure on that as I have never bought a used one.

Yeah, everyone wants to tell you how they did it. It's true that it's not that hard to build an AR, but not everyone wants to do it. The current price range for ARs is a bit less than $500 to well into 4 figures. I have seen Ruger’s AR-556 for $499.99. I have not personally heard any complaints about them.

There are a few brands that I would avoid, but I am not going to mention them here and start a do-do storm. ;)

I was surprised at scopes.

It's not hard to get a rifle. I remember that I was surprised that I didn't want a scope for my rifle, I ended up getting a rifle for my scope.

What is the gas block length on that model below? It looks much longer than carbine, but perhaps is it misleading with the barrel shroud/cover not on.

No need to build your own. Get a Colt 6920 OEM2 and add the grip, handguard/rail, rear sight, stock, and trigger guard of your choice. Hard to beat for a serious gun (not saying it can't be done, but for someone who doesn't know what he wants the 6920 is always a right answer).

35343035075_4ff8af3c6e_c.jpg

Back