Are older 110s appreciated any more?

I put some mid 70s era 110s on "the auction site" the other day, nice quality stuff (not mint), at what I thought were reasonable starting prices....didn't even get a bid. These prices were less than I paid for them a few years ago. The question I have is do the older Bucks hold their value as well today as they use to? I'm not talking about those rare mint early pieces, but run of the mill knives in above average shape for being 40+ years of age. Has the interest in these dwindled? What are your thoughts about long term value of Bucks?
(I am not fishing for specific values or trying to sell anything in this thread)

There's still demand, though it's not what it used to be. My suggestion is pay for the Gold membership and post them here for the Buck-nuts. You can rummage through the Buck only sales forum and see what they're trading for.

I just picked up this 4 dot finger groove for cheaper than a new one. It's a full blade and should look new when I get 'er cleaned up.

This was a little more than a new one but still a price I couldn't pass up. (teaser photo for a future SPS)

Let's face it. It's the dinosaur effect. The real 110 lovers tend to be the older, (non-TactiCool) types.

And they're dying off. TactiCool is taking over.

Interest and values are slowly declining for the average 110.

The really unusual and nice stuff will always hold value well.

Spend wisely.

Older 110's can still command good prices. Just check out some of the online dealers' prices that deal with older Buck knives. And, of course, the harder to find the more the cost.

Pokt, a handsome 4 dot and Buck Custom. Are you going to use those blocks of oak for handles? DM

Thanks David. That's actually the only finger groove 110 that I have (at least that I recall having). I couldn't pass it up for $30. It should clean up pretty well and be a great companion to rest along side my other 4-dot 110.

Actually... the oak is the display box for the custom. It's the first one of these I've seen in-the-flesh, and since I'm a deer hunter, I think this is a keeper and will be the only knife (other than my 303 collection) that is displayed in my house.

I do live in a 200 year old log cabin and some recent renovations left me with a bit of aged/cured oak. The wife asked if I were going to use it for knife handles so I'm working on a custom non-Buck knife that I think she'll appreciate.

Thanks David. That's actually the only finger groove 110 that I have (at least that I recall having). I couldn't pass it up for $30. It should clean up pretty well and be a great companion to rest along side my other 4-dot 110.

Actually... the oak is the display box for the custom. It's the first one of these I've seen in-the-flesh, and since I'm a deer hunter, I think this is a keeper and will be the only knife (other than my 303 collection) that is displayed in my house.

I do live in a 200 year old log cabin and some recent renovations left me with a bit of aged/cured oak. The wife asked if I were going to use it for knife handles so I'm working on a custom non-Buck knife that I think she'll appreciate.
Awesome.

IMG_0581.JPG Only by older people :D Unfortunately the younger generation have better Knives to choose from . They don't remember the days when the 110 was the best folder you could get. Now it's all about good steel that yes you can get on a 110 today. But the on the belt carry is a downer for a lot of folks. I know some don't mind it but look around I don't see belt carry like I used to and got to say I'll pass on it too. The clip :thumbsup:

I still prefer to belt carry. It just works for me. I like many steels from 440C to the powdered. They are very good. I'm not much on thin. I like
the comfort of a decently wide knife. Think 2 bladed 110. DM

How old does one need to be to appreciate a 110? Is there a cut-off age?

Bert
Good question I would guess mid 40s - 80. I don't think there is. I do know the younger people I know don't seem interested in carrying and using a 110. But don't misunderstand me I still have them and have used them and remember when they were my edc. Now I like and prefer a lighter knife more out of sight and easer to open and close like the Vantage . We're all different in are likes and that is a good thing , that's what makes the world go around ;) Collecting them like stamps is a whole different thing that I know is very popular but still seems geared about the same age groups, I'm just guessing :rolleyes:

I must be middle aged. Sometimes I carry a 110 and sometimes I carry a lighter one hand opening knife. Sometimes both together. It's nice to have so many options!

I am convinced that everyone who holds a 110 even one time will say to themselves, "I have to get one of these someday". They really are that awesome. :thumbsup:

I love the older ones. I'm only in my early 30's but I definitely have an appreciation for them. Five days out of seven, I carry traditionals. I ALWAYS have a Buck on me of one variation or another, no matter what else I'm carrying. I would really like to find an old one and send it in for spa (if necessary) and carry it. :thumbsup:

Just keep hawking pawn shops and gun shows. You'll stumble onto a 3 line no dots. Remember the scalloped top sheath goes with it. DM

I picked up a mint 4 dot with sheath along with 2 dot that needs a little cleaning ( has real nice wood scales) and the tip is just barely broken, both for $49 a few weeks ago.
I have a few old antique tractors too and its the same thing. The price was pretty high around 2000 and alot of old guys would have a huge collection of them. Then when the older collectors started dying off, their family would sell the old tractors and flood the market and the younger people don't want the antique tractors, they'd rather make payments for 20 years on a new one. I have one old John Deere that I probably could have gotten 3k for 15 years ago in my area and the prices were steadily going up and I'd be lucky to get $1000 for it now.

Reactions: BP_
I always try to keep an eye out. My appreciation for the older models has blossomed over time. It started with the smaller offerings, and has since grown into really loving the old 110's and 112's. I'm sure it won't be long before I have one, if not several of both to carry and admire. :)

Interesting story about the John Deere tractors. I guess I had never really put two and two together, especially considering how proud they are of the new models. Makes sense though, and agreed it translates over. I like the old tractors, I used to drag the horse arena where I used to work with a '51 every day :thumbsup:

I picked up a mint 4 dot with sheath along with 2 dot that needs a little cleaning ( has real nice wood scales) and the tip is just barely broken, both for $49 a few weeks ago.
I have a few old antique tractors too and its the same thing. The price was pretty high around 2000 and alot of old guys would have a huge collection of them. Then when the older collectors started dying off, their family would sell the old tractors and flood the market and the younger people don't want the antique tractors, they'd rather make payments for 20 years on a new one. I have one old John Deere that I probably could have gotten 3k for 15 years ago in my area and the prices were steadily going up and I'd be lucky to get $1000 for it now.

Well, when the EMP hits those old tractors will be the only ones that work.

I bought this 2 dot 110 for $75 and it's worth every penny. Besides wanting 440C steel, I was specifically looking for one with three tiny brass pins and dark ebony scales with no grain. The fact that it was in new condition sealed the deal. :)

gOzQg4X.jpg

Back