Ask Toooj

Revolverrodger,
The Hunt Plus knives are both flat ground. The grind is pretty wide on both models so the blade geometry should give you good cutting while still having enough strength.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Tooj,
Is there a picture of the tang of the hunt plus or spec plus alpha without the handles? Just curious!

Thanks!

SoCo,

I'll send a pic of the tang to OKC Mod and he can post when he gets back from vacation.
I think he gets back next week.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Additional infos :
http://www.m9m4.com/index.cfm?currentpage=40

zanussi01,

Thanks for your post. Here is what I found:
1) The M-10 was an attempt to get the US Army it's own Bayonet.
2) It sold from the end of 2005 to mid 2011
3) 1235 units were produced
4) The differences between the M-10 and the M-9:
Steel: M-10: 1095; M-9: 420Mod
Steel Coating: M-10 Phosphate; M-9: Black Oxide
Handle: M-10:polypro?; M-9 Hard Glass filled Nylon
Handle Color: M-10: Tan; M-9: OD Green
Sheath: M-10 same as M-9 but with no lower cross strap ears

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Whatever happened to the Apache tac folder? I bought 1, blinked and it was gone? This knife was made at Frankliville, correct? It's the equal in quality, imo, to spyderco's US made folders.
Another question; the Cerberus folder is made in Taiwan--would it cost much more to make it upstate, or have technological advances overseas made US production simply impossible? I know the Rat1 in d2 has always been made in Taiwan, and I appreciate the low price, but the Cerberus folder seems to be of much higher quality/price.

SoCo,

I'll send a pic of the tang to OKC Mod and he can post when he gets back from vacation.
I think he gets back next week.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company
I would like to see a picture also.

Hello Tooj,

I want to be able to order some of the guards used on the sp10 so that I can mod my sp51 to make it a "one-knife" solution. Without a metal guard, integrated or otherwise, I don't feel comfortable relying on said knife. Is there any way you could make this item (I think it's part #8847) available for purchase? The tangs are identical, and I realize the sheath and warranty might be made useless by such modification, but I don't carry broken steel home anyway!

Yonose,

I can give you some SP-10 guards but it would be much more complicated than you think. On the SP-10, there are two milled steps (top and bottom) that the guard slides onto. Milling these on a hardened piece of steel, while not impossible, would be difficult. The guard would then have to be fitted and welded to the step. Then the handle and grommet replaced.
And, yes, doing that would pretty much void our guarantee.
I don't recommend this mod but if you are insistent, give me a call.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Tooj,

Thanks so much for the reply! I will be in touch shortly.

Thanks,

Dave

Yonose,

No problem.
To answer your other questions:
The Apache was discontinued due to low sales; well made but they never caught on. They were made in the USA but not in Franklinville.
The Cerberus folder is presently made in Taiwan and will continue to be made there. We don't have the capability to CNC Titanium along with other folder skills.
FYI; Titanium is becoming very expensive. We are working hard to keep our Titanium knives in the lineup at a decent price but we do not know what the future holds....just saying.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Yonose,

No problem.
To answer your other questions:
The Apache was discontinued due to low sales; well made but they never caught on. They were made in the USA but not in Franklinville.
The Cerberus folder is presently made in Taiwan and will continue to be made there. We don't have the capability to CNC Titanium along with other folder skills.
FYI; Titanium is becoming very expensive. We are working hard to keep our Titanium knives in the lineup at a decent price but we do not know what the future holds....just saying.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company
Thanks again!

I think a lot of titanium comes from Russia, so the prices must be following the current political and economic environment. I haven't ordered a Cerberus folder but I will within a month. I Love the Cerberus fixed blade and sheath! Too bad about the apache folder, it was magnificent! If US manufacturing is falling behind with regard to above mentioned folder skills, I'm glad Taiwan hasn't; even Spyderco has their titanium handles done offshore. On the other hand, I appreciate the affordability you mentioned! Btw, I haven't been able to break any of Ontario's 5160 ever, though I did manage to break one of my Woodsman's handle slabs. It got fixed, but I have to admit I marveled how beautiful it was without its handles!(not to mention how the edge stayed true despite hitting a rock after the slabs cracked!)

Thanks again, again!

Dave

Last edited:
Hey guys... I was supposed to post this a while ago, sorry. Thanks for the reminder, Toooj.

gd8eq4h.jpg

My sp10's moved a little on their shelf when I read that question! Sorry it's not my forum, I hate being disrespectful, but a mutiny could get me... when I ordered a bowie with the same basic shape from Alabama out of 12c27 steel they wouldn't let me touch them for a week!

Roguer,
There are no plans at present to do a 5160 SP-10.
However, never say never. That is something we could talk about in our NPD meeting.

Yonose,
LOL My knives are like that too. Sometimes I have to use scissors for week.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Question on the Model 7095-512/CS double sided steak knife.
The description says "High Carbon Stainless Steel".
Is this a 440A, 425HC, or something else?

From the size and shape, this looks like it would be a good bushcraft/living history knife. Do these have a heat treat that would make them a viable alternaitve outside the dinning room?

Are these a SMKW exclusive model?

Thank you for your time.

Toooj, how much R&D goes into a new design? Is a prototype made and tested by different people? Does a team discuss intended uses,materials, cost,manufacturing ECT?

afishhunter,

I am sooooo sorry I didn't see your post. For some reason the Ask Toooj was not highlighted so I didn't pay any attention to the thread for a long time. My apologies.
The Smoky Double sided steak knife is in fact our Old Hickory 73-6 Sticker knife. It was originally used to stick and bleed cattle and pigs for slaughter. It is still a current item.
Smoky always has imaginative descriptions and narratives. Keeps life interesting. However, the material description is incorrect. The 73-6 is actually High carbon steel so it will rust.
A lot of our stickers and butcher knives end up as rendevous/reenactment/buschcraft knives due to the old "look" of the blades.
During WWII many stickers were private purchased and used as CQC knives.

LG&M,

As a general rule of thumb, a lot of development goes into our knives. We proto and test with various testers and get a lot of feedback from industry people. However, sometimes we produce a known design that has already been through many testing iterations (ie; a proven design from a custom maker) so our testing time is significantly reduced. We are always working to cost the product properly, use the best materials and processes for the price point and streamline the manufacturing. That is an ongoing task.

Hope all of this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Comapny

Last edited:
Back