Ask Toooj

Ordered a chimera. I heard that the early run of these came dull but that's since been remedied . Is that true ? Also is there a lifetime warranty on the knives

I've handled quite a few of these SilentJohn, I wouldn't say they came dull but not overly sharp either.

You have to keep in mind the intended purpose of this design, that's why the thick edge, built more for durability.

The Chimera is going to have the standard Ontario warranty, nothing more and nothing less.

I've handled quite a few of these SilentJohn, I wouldn't say they came dull but not overly sharp either.

You have to keep in mind the intended purpose of this design, that's why the thick edge, built more for durability.

The Chimera is going to have the standard Ontario warranty, nothing more and nothing less.

But it's still a useable edge right , some YouTube videos make it sound like you can run your finger along the edge and not be cut

But it's still a useable edge right , some YouTube videos make it sound like you can run your finger along the edge and not be cut

Of course the edge is still usable... sharpness on the Chimeras is going to vary from knife to knife.

Not just one individual is sharpening all the Chimeras, I'm sure there are multiple people doing that and as such the sharpness of the edge will depend on the skill level of the sharpener.

I know for a fact the Chimera can be made VERY sharp, I had Jason B. ( member here on the forums ) sharpen one for me and I guarantee you that you would not run your finger on that... if you did you are getting stiches, as I said it's all in the skill level of the sharpener.

Thanks can't wait really looking forward to getting mine in the mail. It's going to be my Brock Samson knife

The knife is also an easy to sharpen steel.

Mine seems to do the jobs I've done with it ok. Took me a while to get use to the swedge were usually I do most work with my knives, but then I got it for a potential all round tool and I got enough straight edge blades.

I might have to grind the sharpened swedge flat since there is a good chance it's considered a dagger where I live

Hey tooj, i was talking to a person about the ka-bar kukri machete, and we were wondering how the handle is constructed, i thought it was a solid aluminium handle sandwiched around the tang, and he thinks the lanyard tube is just a tube and the rubber is molded over the tang, any input would be appreciated.

swordmikey,

Your friend is more correct. The handle is molded separately and then is rammed onto the tang. The grommet secures the handle to the tang.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

On the kukri machete? not the combat kukri, the bigger kukri machete with the same handles as a lot of the older 1st gen ontario spec plus knives with the kraton hook shaped handles

swordmikey,

Yes. All of the KA-BAR "Heavy Knives; The Bowies, Machete, Kukri machete, Grass machete are all constructed the same way with a Ram-on handle. The Combat Kukri is constructed the same as the KA-BAR 1211...slide on handle with a pinned cap.
Swordmikey; with all due respect, this is a topic that would be best taken up at the KA-BAR Subforum.
Hope this helps.

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Can you please tell me the weight of the SP49? I didn't see it on the Ontario web site.
Thank you.

If your still looking. I looked at it when looking for a "Better" knife than the SP10 and found the SP-51 that was discontinued. They are still around for now. For big jobs I find a saber grind is better, although I did get one flat grind 9" RD9, that I'm surprised is very useful because of the RD handle and choil and full hilt to thump things with.

SP49
Blade Material 5160 Carbon Steel
Overall Length 13.5 in (34.3 cm)
Blade Length 8.5 in (21.6 cm)
Blade Thickness 0.188 in (0.478 cm)
Blade Color Black
Blade Finish Powder Coat
Blade Grind Flat Bevel
Edge Type Plain
Hardness 53-55 HRC
Handle Material Kraton®
Handle Color Black
Sheath Material Nylon
Sheath Color Black
Sheath Type MOLLE Compatible
Lock Type Fixed
Country of Origin United States of America
- See more at: http://ontarioknife.com/clearance/fixed-blades-1/gen-ii-sp49-detail#sthash.ORWk0gha.dpuf

Thanks, about everything is listed but the weight.
I have had the knife for about 2 years and I like it. I was wondering about the weight when comparing it to other blades.

Would a RAT7 Sheath fit an RD7? Knife Center got a few of them for sale and it would be a safer sheath for the RD7 if it fit.

Thank you.
I was thinking it would be over a pound.
I was comparing it to some other blades and a design I am working on in my head.

SilentJohn,

It is. While they were not designed to be removed, they can be. However, be very careful if you remove it. The ceramic rods are brittle and may snap if you don't use care.
If you do break it, call customer service and they will set you up with a new one.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hey Toooj! Hope you are well. Question for you, do they loctite the hardware on the Blackbird? I dang near broke two allen wrenches trying to get the screws out. I mean actually twisted the allen wrenches almost to the point of fatigue. I figure I'm going to have to drill out one side just to remove the hardware. Could I get a new set of hardware from customer service?
Thanks,
Matt

Back