Athena's Edge - The First Short Sword

Athenas Edge

Founder / Chief Bladesmith
Hey Knife Nation,

I've wanted to make on of these for so long, and it's a huge relief to have finished it. I went to great lengths to have this made, and it came out much better than I even intended.

Take a look, and let me know what you guys think. Enjoy!

Specifications:

Steel: 1095 High Carbon
Guard Finish: Mirror
Blade/Scabbard Finish: Blackened Satin
Handle Material: Curly Maple Wood
Scabbard Material: Curly Maple Wood
Blade Length: 15″
Steel Thickness: 3/16″
Handle Length: 7″
Overall Length: 22″
Sheath: Wood & Steel Scabbard

Main-1.jpg

Main-2.jpg

Main-3.jpg

Main-4.jpg

Main-5.jpg

Main-6.jpg

Main-7.jpg

Main-8.jpg

Btw I. In Texas so Sept 1 it's legal for me to carry.

Haha I doubt anyone would mess with you carrying this thing. I also bet it would be a hit with the ladies!

Oh. My. God. That's prettier than a newborn baby. I'd like one.

I really appreciate that. If you are interested in this blade it's up for sale on my site. If you'd like to discuss anything regarding this blades sale, you can reach me via email located on the contact us page. Thanks again!

A real MAN needs something to open letters and packages !
Very nice ,I appreciate that you let the wood display it's real beauty rather than staining or dyeing .

A real MAN needs something to open letters and packages !
Very nice ,I appreciate that you let the wood display it's real beauty rather than staining or dyeing .

You could definitely baton a few packages with this thing.. Appreciate the kind feedback!

I always like it when someone tries their hand at sword making. The best sword makers of today were the guys that wanted to give it a whirl yesterday. You didn't really say what your intent was when creating the piece. A performance piece? Work of art? Historical accuracy? It makes a difference in the feedback.

I'm going to approach it from a historical perspective or at least historically plausible perspective because that's what interests me. Now for the feedback: I think it's a good first attempt, but would encourage you to study historical examples especially with respect to things like proportion and flow. The handle and pommel are disproportionate in size and I wonder where the balance point is. How is the pommel attached? The pinned handle would have been better sandwiched and glued or perhaps bored / burnt onto the tang. What does the tang look like by the way? The fuller looks very machined and goes too far out on the tip. What is the weight of the piece? What is the RC hardness? I'm sure at this point that you probably think I'm a first class jerk, but I'm trying to give serious feedback on areas for improvement.

I always like it when someone tries their hand at sword making. The best sword makers of today were the guys that wanted to give it a whirl yesterday. You didn't really say what your intent was when creating the piece. A performance piece? Work of art? Historical accuracy? It makes a difference in the feedback.

I'm going to approach it from a historical perspective or at least historically plausible perspective because that's what interests me. Now for the feedback: I think it's a good first attempt, but would encourage you to study historical examples especially with respect to things like proportion and flow. The handle and pommel are disproportionate in size and I wonder where the balance point is. How is the pommel attached? The pinned handle would have been better sandwiched and glued or perhaps bored / burnt onto the tang. What does the tang look like by the way? The fuller looks very machined and goes too far out on the tip. What is the weight of the piece? What is the RC hardness? I'm sure at this point that you probably think I'm a first class jerk, but I'm trying to give serious feedback on areas for improvement.

All fair criticisms Triton. This was merely a performance piece for myself. I commonly make an effort to push my abilities far beyond what anyone expects, but also what I can expect out of myself. My best buddy that helped me pick out the guard steel for this recently passed so I actually made most of this sword after his passing, and I'm keeping it now. I find it only fitting, and I'll be getting memorial info laser etched on the guard very soon.

It's short enough that the disproportionate guard/pommel actually weighs pretty well. Which for a fluke I'll take it! The pommels is screwed on to the tang that I had threaded. The handle is sandwiched, and I did think about burning it on, but I just hate how that comes out. It's never nice for me.

Haven't weighed it, and I actually don't have a hardness tester. Which I know.. I should

This is actually one of the last art pieces I'll be making in the near future (At least as a knife maker). I've always been an artist first, and knifem aking just so happened to fit right into my very strong metal working skills so it seemed like a good fit for awhile. I've closed my doors, and I'm working on relocating. I live in an extremely poor city.. drive by shooting poor if I'm going to be honest. Most people in my area can't afford cheap knives from the local hardware store, so I'm working on making a move to Texas within the next year or so. I can't say why, but god has always gave me the feeling there's something there for me, and after this amazing journey I actually feel ready to separate myself from my birthplace.

I appreciate your honesty & feedback. It's members like yourself that have pushed me to make excellence in the past. It also helps most of you guys are very polite!

All fair criticisms Triton. This was merely a performance piece for myself. I commonly make an effort to push my abilities far beyond what anyone expects, but also what I can expect out of myself. My best buddy that helped me pick out the guard steel for this recently passed so I actually made most of this sword after his passing, and I'm keeping it now. I find it only fitting, and I'll be getting memorial info laser etched on the guard very soon.

It's short enough that the disproportionate guard/pommel actually weighs pretty well. Which for a fluke I'll take it! The pommels is screwed on to the tang that I had threaded. The handle is sandwiched, and I did think about burning it on, but I just hate how that comes out. It's never nice for me.

Haven't weighed it, and I actually don't have a hardness tester. Which I know.. I should

This is actually one of the last art pieces I'll be making in the near future (At least as a knife maker). I've always been an artist first, and knifem aking just so happened to fit right into my very strong metal working skills so it seemed like a good fit for awhile. I've closed my doors, and I'm working on relocating. I live in an extremely poor city.. drive by shooting poor if I'm going to be honest. Most people in my area can't afford cheap knives from the local hardware store, so I'm working on making a move to Texas within the next year or so. I can't say why, but god has always gave me the feeling there's something there for me, and after this amazing journey I actually feel ready to separate myself from my birthplace.

I appreciate your honesty & feedback. It's members like yourself that have pushed me to make excellence in the past. It also helps most of you guys are very polite!

I am so glad you were able to take the feedback in the spirit it was offered. Good luck on your future endeavors and upcoming relocation. I think that with your attitude and obvious skill set that you may have a bright future in the business.

Back