Review Atlanta Cutlery Bhojpure, updating an 87 year old blade.

I have been a Kukuri fan since 1994 while in the Infantry, the functionality and effectiveness of the design won me over. Since that time I have had several types, CS LTC, ATC and Gurkia Kukuri, also the HI Ang Kola, M43, Tin Chirra, Dui Chirra and CAK. Primitive bush craft is something I enjoy and this style of blade really fits the bill and I have great respect for the Kamis that forge them.
Many in the knife community know about the cache of kukuris and other weapons found in Nepal back in 2003, a month or so ago I ordered a Bhojpure blade with no handle to see what a "real" military Nepalese kukuri was like. The plan was to put my own horn grip on it and try to make it a traditional as I could. Kukuri handle design is much more complex than it appears, done right and it is a dream to chop with...do it wrong and its blister city.
Here is how the blade arrived:IMG_20170505_093331.jpg After a good cleanup and inspection I could find zero faults in the blade, it obviously had been issued at least once, if not more times since its manufacture (1930?). The edge had been sharpened often but well maintained, scratches were plentiful but nothing major, no cracks or even moderate pitting. I really wish it could talk, imagine the stories!

Next step was to gather handle supplies, horn, epoxy, flux and brass sheeting:IMG_20170505_103712.jpg
Some may worry about the traditional tang, we are use to full tang knives especially in the west. My thought was, it's their tool might as well stick with their design because if it didn't work the Nepalese probably would have changed it.
So after several hours of work and the realization that my brass and solder skills are very lacking, here was the result:IMG_20170506_154521.jpg IMG_20170506_154506.jpg
Next up was a solid sheath that would be safe and fit with my gear, 9oz vegtan and copper rivets with brass loops:IMG_20170508_171752.jpg

Last edited:
So after all that what I ended up with was a 27 oz, 13" blade Nepalese Army issue kukuri. The first thing to do was to put it to work, I had a row of honeysuckle and poison ivy vines at a rental house, as well as overgrown Mullberry trees and Osage Orange (Hedge apples) that needed to be trimmed.
Here's a pic of the Mullbery tree, my other pictures are too large:IMG_20170619_102709.jpg
What has struck me the most about this kukuri is the blade geometry, it penetrates very deep into wood but does not get stuck or wedged in. Vines and Ivy don't stand a chance, it just snicks right thru, trees do not fair much better. Most limbs came off in two whacks or less with very very little vibration to my hand. I suspect that is because of the traditional tang but I am not sure.
The edge retention was fantastic, it was still just as sharp at the end of the chores with no rolling or chipping. The only dulling was right near the tip which makes sense because of the differential tempering.
This kukuri is a real joy to use and has quickly become my favorite. If you get the chance to pick one of these up, do so!

My first adventure with a kukri was done without my usual research, it was very soft ! It seems that many were made as wall hangers ! Popular in Victorian England .My first was poorly hardened ! Second one had a fine blade though the handle needed work as the 'ring' was hard on the hand . This one also has two pins. A fine tool.

Very nice job on your handle. I have a few of these old kukri and they are very special in-hand. Hard to believe a hundred year old primitively made blade can be mildly touched up and still be as effective as the day it was issued. You have a treasure!

Back