How To Axe identity

Hi Kevin, you are an encyclopedia. Thanks! I should post my own flea market find, I think it's Austrian but couldn't find anything deff. I'd be grateful if you could take a look at it

For sure it wasn't a war trophy, he's a European guy; but what am I saying, we've had our scuffles as well, it may have been one after all! :)

I'm Romanian. Being half Hungarian, I speak that language as well. Working with US mostly, and hopping over on the other side of the pond every now and then for business, I exercise my English quite a bit, even though I sometimes still feel I'm paying tribute to the British variety learned in school. My French, Spanish, Italian are pretty serviceable but German...oh boy...nothing more than a few words...

Thanks, I will dig that axe picture tomorrow.

Nice meeting you! Love Sziget, pretty close btw. I live right by the Hungarian border, so we hop every now and then to the neghbours'. I should check the 'axe sources' one day.

Btw, most of the non-US people I know are Dutch. Many and good firends. Long story, but it all started with a conversation over a book one of them was reading, on a train :). Very nice people.

Last edited:
it's on there, to be precise, right about here:
http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/moebus_ewald.phtml
No english though, only German. Ewald Möbus should be correct.
That page can be translated to English with the google translate function although not perfect:

"Ewald Möbus Söhne was founded in 1880. After a display of 1942, hatchets, axes, hacking and weighing machines, pull knives, hedge shears and butcher articles were produced. ".

If I had to guess "After a display of 1942" in the original text referred to something like "a list of items produced in 1942"? IDK, I barely speak English as my only language.:)

Bob

Kevin, I hope you can see the stamp in this old picture. I can take a new one, if needed...it will be just as bad, though, based on my skillset (and history).

AT1.jpg

It's basically a cogwheel with an "AT" in it; however, the "T" looks more like a hammer. Kind of roughly forged. The poll seems to have been welded.

I'd say it's a Black Forrest pattern and has been used little, if at all. The only small dings I could find on the edge were due to the fact it was thrown in a big pile of tools, banged against files, hammers and so on. I dug it out and offered this old gypsy 7 Eur tops (he was asking for more).

I found someone on "a big auctioning site" selling one weighting 800 grams (same stamp) claiming it was Austrian, made in the 60s - 70s. (Mine is 1kg, so that would be boy's axe territory.) I inquired about the origin, but never got an answer. I wonder if his research went deeper than the obvious "AT must be Austrian". He was asking 80 Euros (!) for it, so who knows? maybe I have one of those obscure but highly collectible items for who-knows-whom :p.

Kevin, thanks a lot, really! You did dig up a lot more than I could've done, like ever. Really liked the twist ;) as well.

I have a brand new Narex rasp (well, used exactly once), I know they continue to make good tools at good prices.

Kevin, there are Americans that can give us a lick when it comes to foreign languages :p. However, Google Translate is surely the work of at least a few indians ;).

Back