Axe info

Hello, I have some more manufacturers,

Osborne Racing Axes, Australian custom racing axe manufacturer.

http://www.osborneaxes.com.au

Keech, Australian racing axe manufacturer. I can't find its main axe page, it's rare considering its widespread.

http://www.keech.com.au

Lasher, South African axe seller. I don't know who manufactures them.

http://www.lasher.co.za/show_products.php?make=Axes and Hatchets&category=Agricultural#

Pallares Solsona, Catalonian style axe manufacturer among others.

http://www.pallaressolsona.com

And at last my favourite, Jauregi. Basque axe manufacturer, Basque and Biscaynan axes,

http://www.hachasartesanas.com

I just found a Montreal style head 3 1/2 lb single bit , stamped made in Sweden, and O Tel Tel. It has original blue paint on it. Any ideas what it may be? I will post pictures later.
I just found a Angor Hults Bruk Montreal Axe that appears to be the same as mine although mine is a 3 1/2 lb.

Last edited:
Hi

I am very sure that Pioneer Axes were made in Maine, USA. In the 1960's, the plant closed. Go to U-Tube and type in Pioneer Axes and there is a wonderful story about Pioneer axes and their closing.

Good job! Keep up the good work.

Ripshin Lumberjack

As per info that I asked for on the Axe Junkies facebook group on a Western Logger head that I'd rehung:

The heads were imported from Germany and Sweden, stamped USA in Tacoma Washington, and distributed via Sears and Montgomery Wards. No info on when they were imported but my guess be 60's at the earliest.

Last edited:
Axes marked TBA are made by Emerson and Stevens for the Talbolt, Brooks, and Ayer hardware store.

Last edited:
This is an incredibly interesting thread guys. I haven't been over here in the AXE & Hatchet section in quite a while so forgive me if you all have covered this. About 12 years ago I got a really nice packet of information about Axes from the U.S. Forest Service>> the booklet is called "AN AXE TO GRIND" by Bernie Weisgerber. Bernie worked building log cabins for the U.S. Forest Service and he covers just about every type of axe they ever made and he has a lot of expertise on the use and maintenance of axes.

I got the booklet with a video by the same name. I don't know if it's still available or not from the U.S. Forest Service but a friend told me you can still get it off the internet on a pdf file. I encourage everyone of you to check it out>> I believe it could add well to this great conversation.

I'm kind of a novice collecting axes but I have gotten a few of them over the years at garage sales and so forth. I actually enjoy playing with them after learning to sharpen them the right way. Also on the back of this booklet it has a listing of all the styles of axes ever made in North America. Check it out and I think you all will like it. It was free of charge when I got the booklet and video some years back. Also I'm wondering if COLLINS still makes a good axe? Their splitting mauls are the best I've ever used. Great thread.

An Axe To Grind is very good and Bernie has dropped in on the group here before to straighten us out. In the package you received did you get the booklet and the trail tools video too? If not you should be able to find them in the Google search I linked to. I'd dig around for the thread that Bernie commented on it's a hoot.

Found this today at a flea market but the guy was firm at 40 bucks so I left it laying there, I would have bought it for around 20 bucks, the head is loose but the handle is good so I wouldn't have to buy another stick. Anybody ever seen one with these markings ? Am I underestimating it's value?
gGFG4wAl.jpg

yOrrIU2l.jpg

The original handle would look something like the one in this photo:

I pulled it off for another project (hatchet as a gift for sister in law – wish I had just left it with the original head)

Don’t remember where I picked mine up but it lived over 15 years in a box of lesser-used tools until I rediscovered it last year and cleaned it up. It rides behind the back seat of my truck. Takes and holds an edge pretty well actually.

Since then I have collected several other of the “Made in W Germany” heads. There really isn’t much info on the maker and even less as to what the markings on these refer to. I assume FEDSPEC is Federal Specifications but with it marked in lbs it was most likely made for export to the US (this is a guess).

I would pay $30 for it with original handle just to have but $40 seems steep. Lots of hardened bit on them and they are decent users. The FEDSPEC we are talking about seems to be cleaner overall then the other similarly marked hatchets and axes.

There is speculation that they were made in Ruhr Germany but I can’t back that up with evidence – they look similar to those marked RUHR.

Here it is as it stands now:

Thanks Agent_H, I appreciate the info and pics. I decided to hold out for a good vintage hatchet head and re hang it myself.

yes it's a bit too much for a u s intented market hatchet, 15 should be fair
you might have found the bit too thin, and a bit narrow.

restore an other one seems a good idea ,involving more satisfaction for a fraction $

Go to U-Tube and type in Pioneer Axes and there is a wonderful story about Pioneer axes and their closing.
I did just that, and this was the first video under Pioneer Axe. It was filmed in 1965.
[video]https://youtu.be/Qr4VTCwEfko?list=PLma65rrkXEgCPrR2M_pg1bFhnmwwkXfo x[/video]

Claw hatchet. That font looks familiar, one of the large makers but I can't quite place it without seeing more of it. I bet one of the guys here will recognize it.

I'm surprised no one has picked up on the Snow & Nealley line of axes. They're now located in Smyrna, Maine, and the heads of almost all of the offerings are now forged in the Midwest. There is no website (the owners are Amish ), but they can be called, and they are very helpful in answering any of your questions. 1-800-933-6642

I'm surprised no one has picked up on the Snow & Nealley line of axes. They're now located in Smyrna, Maine, and the heads of almost all of the offerings are now forged in the Midwest. There is no website (the owners are Amish ), but they can be called, and they are very helpful in answering any of your questions. 1-800-933-6642
Do you happen to have access to any photos of their axes you can post?
BTW, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

Back