Axe skill videos

Gotta say, Old Axeman (Bernie Weisberger) is a charismatic fellow. Not everyone has the "presence" required to speak so eloquently and work at the same time. I say this as someone used to speak in public, but not always soo fluent when explaining how I do things to a junior at work...I can just imagine a few cameras focusing on me.

Last edited:
15 minutes to fell, limb and buck a 13" dia tree? Wow! Not this cowboy. I'd be interested in Old Axeman confirming that.

The first 2 videos you should watch.

and

I agree. Not only Bernie but Ian Barlow's portion in an axe to grind was super helpful to me when learning how to chop on the trail. Its more of an updated forest service perspective to chopping/bucking as we aren't standing on top of the tree. Standing on the tree is frankly (in my humble opinion) not safe when in the wilderness. This way is still very effective.

DCUNqcEVwAAdXnu.jpg

Standing on the tree is frankly (in my humble opinion) not safe when in the wilderness. This way is still very effective.
I take have a Luke warm disagreement with this statement. I feel it is perfectly safe. In fact it is safer than working on the ground when proper form is used.(In the woods)

That said I would agree that many, many, many situations arise where standing on the tree is unsafe or at least less than ideal. In that case then of course taking to the ground is the way to go.
I will even go so far as to concede that when working with blowdowns or "unplanned" fellings you are probably more likely to encounter less than ideal bucking situations.

But with (well) planned fellings, or just as a general statement, standing on the log is in my opinion the safest of all choices (anywhere) with all things considered. Or all things being optimal.

Last edited:
Agree with Woodcraft Woodcraft , and would add that making a situation/surroundings more ideal should be first priority for the use of any dangerous tool, especially out in the woods. That means giving yourself a solid place to stand, clearing brush or overhanging branches or vines, thorns, etc.

EDIT: Just saw Mr. Kochanski's claim LOL. Two minutes to fell according to him, which would leave him eight minutes to buck a 9-10" average diameter log eight or nine times. And he has to limb it first. So even if he runs along the tree swinging wildly at the limbs and gets all 40+ of those cuts done in another two minutes, he just needs to buck through the trunk every 35 seconds...

Last edited:
From the axe manuel by Peter McLaren.
At the urging and on Plumbs dime. As he was Plumbs champion. Not a video but a decent resource.
Definitely a solid place to start on proper form and an attack plan.
Screenshot_20170621-153336.png

Screenshot_20170621-153341.png

Figure 24 4&5 are the box and double box cuts for those interested.

Last edited:
To buck with an axe, sometimes you have to stand on the stick and sometimes you have to stand on the ground next to the stick. Ian Barlow is a very good, safe, professional chopper. Yes, he makes his living chopping.

Back