Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

038a.png

Just ordered my first tomahawk from Butches Forge (R. Silver). Its going out in the mail to me tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting it. Its been a while since his work has been on this site so had to share! Here is the specs, etched blue patina, 1lb 6oz total weight, ash haft finished with tung oil and wax, 3.5" edge, 9.25" from tip of spike to cutting edge, 4.75" from blade edge to haft. Overall length is 18"

Butches Forge spike tomahawk
ButchesForgeSpikeTomahawk-00.jpg

ButchesForgeSpikeTomahawk-01.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Stihl hatchet a few weeks ago but just hated the look. I stripped the paint off the head and the paint and varnish off the handle. I used leather dye on the handle and then applied several coats of BLO. Now it's something I don't mind carrying around.

Stihl_zpsqwp9tftg.png

DSCN0238%202_zpsi01cffqu.jpg

DSCN0242_zpsivqsaoql.jpg

DSCN0240_zps60chsydv.jpg

For those liking a long poll.
Its said this is Vietnam early 1900s.
My friend returned from Gambia with a near identical axe, It differs that the poll is not quite as long.
I suspect this axe is a combination chop & pry tool. Its chopped into wood, Then chips are pried out, or pried to split.
What looks about right seeing her load of firewood, what appears primarily broken off & split pieces.
post-458-0-52841800-1468880955.jpg

For those liking a long poll.
Its said this is Vietnam early 1900s.
My friend returned from Gambia with a near identical axe, It differs that the poll is not quite as long.
I suspect this axe is a combination chop & pry tool. Its chopped into wood, Then chips are pried out, or pried to split.
What looks about right seeing her load of firewood, what appears primarily broken off & split pieces.
post-458-0-52841800-1468880955.jpg
Oh!, now I see the wood!

Hard to tell because of where here right hand is but I would not be surprised if under her hand is the end of the metal axe head and the rest of the axe is fire hardened wood. Metal was hard to come by and expensive and that would be a lot of metal. John

I saw this today. Something different. A gummy bear axe handle. Sweet. :p

guy-makes-a-diy-axe-handle-out-of-gummy-bears-19-hq-photos-2.jpg

Here's a couple I've put together recently. First is a little no-name cruiser. I think this one is hand forged. It has slight irregularities in it that just don't look factory to me. Great little axe with good steel. I had to re-profile the bits. Then I hung it on a Link cruiser handle with perfect grain.

Cruiser2.jpg

Cruiser8.jpg

The next one is a Collins Hudson Bay I picked up at an estate sale a few months back. This head came to me in almost pristine condition. Even came with a good solid handle. I cleaned it up a little and re-hung on the existing handle. Gave it a couple coats of BLO and Tung oil.

HB%201.jpg

HB%202.jpg

I've since sold both of these.
peg,
this post was from 2013" long time ago but i'd like to know if you remember the length of the handle on this no name cruiser amd if you tell me ?
thanks for your reply

buzz

Back