AXES AS WEAPONS: Polearms and fighting hawks

I would love to see what you guys have out there. I have an affinity for ANYTHING with an edge, but I'd like to see some interpretations of medieval combat axes. Lochabers, bearded viking axes, franciscas, whatever you got. I'd prefer to see traditional weapon styles rather than the newest gun-koted tactical hawks; but post pics of whatever you have. Let's see 'em! Bonus points for hand-made or original, one-of-a-kind creations.

Custom Viking Mammen Axe made to my specs by H&B Forge.

My current favorite, and will be very hard to top this one in my arsenal.

HampBVikingAxeMammen001_zpsfc620ab5.jpg

HandBMammenVikingAxe003_zps63cdbd16.jpg

VikingGear004_zpsaa742037.jpg

30mnzic.jpg

Doloire
This type of axe is sometimes called a Wagoner’s Axe. It is known that axes of this type were carried with the wagon trains supporting medieval and Renaissance armies. It was probably used as both a tool and a weapon and many are found in various armories around the world.

LEGION12: Yes! Much like me, axes are prettiest with a beard! To see spears and clubs represented is, to put it simply, tits. What kind of wood are you using for that behemoth cudgel? What are the origins of that spear? Bonus points for you, sir.

WJC01: Big fan of RMJ for years. I'll ride that wagon any day. Points!

Yes sir that's a Ragweed on 22" haft came with a 18" felt too short to me waiting for the weather to warm up a little so I can put a finish on it. The club is Curly Maple Iroquois war club also waiting on the weather for a finish. The spear is a Windlass head on a old heavy duty broomstick.

Last edited:
The Wolves are circling, and making a damn fine showing. Points! Show me more! Clubs, maces, billhooks, anything. Fuel my envy! Show me a well-armed populace! Scare me!

Another prized weapon, and another custom made for me by H&B Forge:

Spiked Spontoon Tomahawk
HampBSpontoonTomahawk002_zpsdee06390.jpg

HampBSpontoonTomahawk001_zps4be1105f.jpg

And leon08 takes the lead with a bevy of one-of-a-kind, self-made axes and hawks! Love it when small details are added to a brut de forge finish...that full size axe with the charred handle especially catches my eye. Can you give us some specs? Steel type? Fold over or drift out the eye? Gas forge or coal? All the points!

Can't end here, fellas. Who's going to dethrone leon08? Come on if you think you're hard enough!

Thanks for the feedback.
The axe is forged (in coal forge) again from one with a common/boring form, it`s 1055 steel and weighs 3 pounds with a 30 inch ash wood haft.
Shape is inspired by a medieval battle ax with the relatively modern haft (on customer request).

leon08: Do you get deformation of the eye when you're working on it and then tweak it if needed or do you only heat the blade area?

Some older styles and some more modern. Lances are originals from early 19th century. I was foolish enough to use them for practice in my younger days. With a good bow and if you could stomach the damage, these are more effective than anything modern.

Back