Back by Popular Demand... What folder do you guys carry?

For the exact reason mentioned, i.e, the extreme challenges which sharpening a Tanto blade poses, specially for a novice, I'll be avoiding tanto blades on a high end knife like a CRK. TBT, if I wanted to own a tanto just to have one in my folder collection I would just pick up a cheaper yet very robust one from Cold Steel for under $100. That said, I do see and certainly appreciate the elegance factor of a Sebbie-21 Tanto.

On the harpooned shaped blade, not exactly something that turns me wild on paper but I do really like the ergos of the Umnumzaan which i also think to be the most stout pattern within the current CRK folder patterns. Aesthetically I like the Star-Tac by Wilson Combat the most but as said, I will not be going to the older 58-59 HT paying full retail. The standard Unnumzaan from CRK's dealers does come with the slightly dialed up newer 59-60 HRC. These could be found on the Exchange in the $350-$375 range (retail is $425) depending on the condition, if one exercises patience.

Still carrying my L21. My Starbenza 25 sits in the drawer now waiting for someone to make an offer on it lol

I personally usually carry some knife that has utility ability as well as self defense capability. Usually this means some folder that can be waved open one way or another. The Spyderco P'kal is my favourite knife to carry for defensive purposes however the blade shape doesn't lend itself much to anything other than defensive purposes.

Because I usually want something with more utility capability I have to compromise. This means most days I am carrying either one CQC7 or another. If I feel like something a bit fancier I go for a Chris Reeve Sebbie or Inkosi.

On the topic of tantos being harder to sharpen; I find they take longer to sharpen due to them haveing 2 edges. That said, l find tantos actually easier to sharpen due to the two edges being straight. I actually find sharpening curved surface more difficult. This is largely due to me freehand sharpening with sharpmaker rods.

Like when sharpeninf my Sebenza and going heel to tip it is very hard to keep the angle of the knife correct as I round the curve of the drop point.

Anyway just some points no one asked for. God bless.

Ferrum Forge(Fortis, Archbishop, and more), Jeremy Robertson(El Patron), Spyderco, Benchmade, Mac Wasil(Customs), Real Steel Sea Eagle, Bradford Guardian 3 folder, Pro-Tech, Les Voorhies, Rod Olson, Byrd, Lionsteel.

I traded my way into this Hinderer MP-1. The machining detail in this really appeals to me. Flips like a dream!
qXNIOUVl.jpg

Last edited:
You better hope that it is not a Hindered but in fact a Hinderer ;)

Congratulations in getting the one you wanted, T :thumbsup:

^^^ Wow! Looks like a significant amount of metal was removed in a good way to make that blade super slicey and I'd wager a good few grams lighter :thumbsup:

^^^ Wow! Looks like a significant amount of metal was removed in a good way to make that blade super slicey and I'd wager a good few grams lighter :thumbsup:

Yeah, a lot of metal were removed to get this hollow grind. I wanted to make it an excellent slicer.

You want slicey????!!!

Brand new Knifeworks exclusive Military!

S90V blade, textured peel ply carbon fiber presentation scale, titanium Reeve Integral Frame lock with a steel over travel stop/lock face. This thing is going to give my 204P/Green G10 millie a run for the top spot! There has yet to be a folding knife that can bump a Military out of my pocket. Seems that I just rotate through my different millies and all other folders have been retired.

91F8D294-E145-4867-AEC7-9779CBB6F05B_zpsrmd46wzp.jpg

5CA55786-9688-4FFA-93AA-771D3DC69234_zpsmximouj9.jpg

Last edited:
Not yet, been having a hard time deciding, I ordered a sheeps foot semi custom grip from benchmade a while ago with textured black g-10 and am debating putting those scales on the Ritter... not sure yet. Of the ones I've looked at my favorite are still DOAT and igordad, Wilkins change the "look" too much for my liking. If you get a new handle set, definitely post up! I'm still heavily on the fence.
I just ordered a set of DOAT canvas micarta od green scales for my mini Ritter. I will post pictures when they arrive. I am very excited I love his work.

Well thank your Mr. Riz! ;)

But seriously, I started my "acquired taste" right in here when I joined up in March 2016. Before that, I was wasting quite a bit of time and $ on your garden variety 1095, AUS 8, VG10 being the best I had tasted. Not trying to sound too snobbish though because as some of us fully well know, because of the branding and marketing involved, some products in the aforementioned steels are not "cheap" at all but we paid more for the name brand rather than the quality we got.

Been spreading my wings quite a bit since then at the expense of my wallet, but the flight has certainly been lots of fun :)

Back