Back by Popular Demand... What folder do you guys carry?

I just re=read my own post and realized had a major brain fart because evidently I forgot which side was the presentation side :D

Like Tony says, maybe you ought to try the Inkosi because they tweaked the angle of that clip which doesn't sit on the lockbar and maybe that is why it is easier to open the righty Inkosi left handed?

I just re=read my own post and realized had a major brain fart because evidently I forgot which side was the presentation side :D

Like Tony says, maybe you ought to try the Inkosi because they tweaked the angle of that clip which doesn't sit on the lockbar and maybe that is why it is easier to open the righty Inkosi left handed?
Good point for sure.
It looks like a nice stout blade also. Not quite as burly as the umnamzaan, but close.
Plus the inlaid versions look great!

I think the reason I can open the inkosi left handed is because the thumb stud is a little ways away from the lock bar. There is clearance between the stud and the side of the lock bar you can get your thumb into. On the 'zaan the lock bar has a lot easier flange on the lock bar to make it a bit more accessible, but theven thumb stud is in contact and you can't really access the stud on the lock side.

As far as being stout... the inkosi is absolutely on par. So if the drop point doesn't do it for you, have a look at the insingo inkosi.

The Inkosi drop point and the Zaan harpooned style blades both have the same thickness, therefore both are more stout than the 21's blade. In fact I had read on the CRK's subforum somewhere that the Inkosi's tip was stronger than the Zaan's! But I get your point about the Zaan's blade shape with that swedge which makes is "sexier" looking to some including yours truly :)

Tony is also correct about the way the different way the stud is positioned. Although you may get away with a righty Inkosi (which is dual thumb studded), you may get very frustrated with a righty Zaan.

It's a bummer because I really liked the old pivot Zaan a lot.
Good thing that the 25's and Inkosi's look great still and are hefty also. I'm not much of a slicer knife kind of person.

The old pivot Zaan is very kewl :) However you'll pay a pretty penny for one. They're hefty for sure though and that's what I like about them. Speaking of hefty, did you notice that CPK-Mark's folders are coming in at 10 ounces or over?! The Star-Tac Zaan is only 4.8 according to my scales and 5.0 on the Wilson's website.

Mark's knife is really good looking but the size and weight would be my worry.
I just like how slim and lightweight the CRK line is.
A nice unobtrusive pocket friendly knife is hard to find.

Recently i got my hands on a steel will cutjack thats taken over my weekly rotation. I like it so much that i purchased a mini gekko as well. The gekko is an awesome knife but its a little much to edc.

I'll probably end up with a few more in the near future. I want the mini in o.d. and once i get my hands on that ill see which one i like more and get the better version with the g10 and ball bearings

How are you liking the mini Gekko? I've been keeping an eye out for one with maroon scales, love me some micarta on folders and it looks very comfortable.

I'm looking into picking up a Microtech Troodon or UTX-85. Any owners around here with experience to share of either, or even better looking to pass one along?

I guess I'm getting itchy waiting for those 4.1's ;)

The Inkosi drop point and the Zaan harpooned style blades both have the same thickness, therefore both are more stout than the 21's blade. In fact I had read on the CRK's subforum somewhere that the Inkosi's tip was stronger than the Zaan's! But I get your point about the Zaan's blade shape with that swedge which makes is "sexier" looking to some including yours truly :)

Tony is also correct about the way the different way the stud is positioned. Although you may get away with a righty Inkosi (which is dual thumb studded), you may get very frustrated with a righty Zaan.
When I read this, it sounds to me like Nathan's posts on setting up programs on the CNC or his Cad software. Far over my head.

I'm looking into picking up a Microtech Troodon or UTX-85. Any owners around here with experience to share of either, or even better looking to pass one along?

I guess I'm getting itchy waiting for those 4.1's ;)

Closest I've got is one of their Ultratechs. It's been good, smooth, takes a strong thumb push.

Well, I went ahead and ordered one of the only new UTX-85's I could find in stock - OD green and bronze. I passed up a chance to own an older style used one, but I figured that for this much $$ i should aim for as many features as I really wanted as possible, so... I hope I like it :cool: early BD gift. And i don't have my 4.1 yet ;)

I love my CRK Startac. IMO, the Zaan has one of the most beautiful harpoon tip.

35768630043_b3abd4deb4_k_d.jpg

I love the beauty marks on that insingo 91bravo! I don't belive in "safe queens". Having said that, I only have glamor shots of my 25 before it saw any use
kfiNEWJ.jpg

t4xoAL8.jpg

I have used most of the top Tier folders! I don't always carry a folder, but when I do I carry one of these

Back