Question Bans, infractions, education and deterrence.

Since unpaid members can't see who's been banned, or see infraction chicklets anymore, it seemed to me that it would be harder for new members (or those who just stay away from W&C) to know when someone has stepped out of line. I can understand if there is some desire to keep it from becoming a score keeping thing, but once some time has elapsed, it would be hard for someone reading old threads to know that a member had been corrected, unless the Mod also commented and was quite specific. I know you guys generally are, but some threads burn out quickly, and the lock down might not reflect who was actually over the line. It may also help keep older threads from getting necroed if the reader can see that the dumb comment they are correcting is from a banned member, they won't need to worry about it. It may not be possible, and I also understand if there is a desire to reduce some of the drama and frenzy that sometimes surround an imminent dose of the ban-hammer.

I'm non-paid for the moment, and the avatar area on lots of old posters does indeed say banned.

With a forum of this magnitude it must be a full time job just to keep it running.
Imagine babysitting for a couple hundred monkeys (banned members), and giving them knives, and matches?

Interesting, do you see their name with a strike-thru, or does it say banned? seems like different folks see different things.

There is a small banner under the user name that says "Banned".

Indeed we all do see things differently... :thumbsup:

There is a small banner under the user name that says "Banned".

Indeed we all do see things differently... :thumbsup:
That's for users who were banned before the software update. Those banned after that time look just like everyone else. The only difference is you can no longer go to their profile page. Spooky.

Last edited:
That's for users who were banned before the software update. Those banned after that time look just like everyone else. The only difference is you can no longer go to their profile page. Spooky.

This right here

Moderators see the name with a strikethrough- It appears normal to everyone else unless it was pre Xenforo.

This right here

Moderators see the name with a strikethrough- It appears normal to everyone else unless it was pre Xenforo.

Must be a Super thing. I don't see the stikethroughs either.

I wish that weren't the case because now you have to dig to see what got them tossed, instead of the two clicks it takes to see their last few posts.

Must be a Super thing. I don't see the stikethroughs either.

That's really a surprise considering that you have the power to ban, but lack the ability to see it.

Perhaps one of the banned members developed the new software?
"Let the trolling live on!!!"

AHHHemmm... "
"Must be a Super thing. I don't see the stikethroughs either."

"I'll fix it later."

Last edited:
I'm seeing infraction banners now, so maybe I was just missing them before, but I did notice them recently. They are not obvious like the old chicklets, but I think having the reason right there is helpful, since you had to click through before.

I'm seeing infraction banners now, so maybe I was just missing them before, but I did notice them recently. They are not obvious like the old chicklets, but I think having the reason right there is helpful, since you had to click through before.

You may be seeing the public banner- I believe we have the choice to make the infraction public or not- By default, it's not public.

Right, and in the case of a certain pastry related thread de-rail, the message was sent twice, so it makes sense.

That's really a surprise considering that you have the power to ban, but lack the ability to see it.
There are a couple things I was going to ask @Spark if he could add. Such as a "Banned" banned under the name of the person that was banned, the second is a way for the general public to see if we've intervened and infracted an individual so the same post doesn't get reported repeatedly.

There are a couple things I was going to ask @Spark if he could add. Such as a "Banned" banned under the name of the person that was banned, the second is a way for the general public to see if we've intervened and infracted an individual so the same post doesn't get reported repeatedly.

There is a way for the mod issuing the infraction to make it visible. But, it's an extra step and is often forgotten. The "content action" tab of the warning screen allows the moderator to leave a notation which appears above the post. It is supposed to be visible to anyone who can read the post. Don't know if it works that way, but that's what the screen says it does.

I'll see if I can test with someone and find out for sure. I think I've seen that tab you are talking about, there can be multiple steps I guess depending on what the desired outcome is.

Ummmmm Hi,
That infraction I received has a banner across the top of the post that says "Trolling".
The feature does work.:thumbsup:

There is a way for the mod issuing the infraction to make it visible. But, it's an extra step and is often forgotten. The "content action" tab of the warning screen allows the moderator to leave a notation which appears above the post. It is supposed to be visible to anyone who can read the post. Don't know if it works that way, but that's what the screen says it does.

I was just verifying what Mr. Knarfeng had posted...
"Don't know if it works that way, but that's what the screen says it does."

Back