Basketweave sample

I ordered this $6.00 Craftool X511 off Ebay before I was reading up on basketweave tool precision. Well it came today, so I took a shot at my first attempt.
I lightly scratched a diagonal line from top left to bottom right. The second photo shows a pretty straight weave pattern looking at it from this direction. I then rotated the sample in the third photo. The pattern is way off. So, after reading about the quality and precision of certain types of stamps, how much of this is my fault, and how much of this is the poor quality tool.
Thanks for the help.
buouoJU.jpg

sgWfWPz.jpg

SAWobTm.jpg

Well, first of all that is not WAY off. That would pass muster with almost anyone I can think of. Next practice piece cut yourself a border and bevel it and then stay within that border without over runs or blank spots. You'll have to learn to tilt the tool for that. Save up for a Camouflage tool (sunburst) for the border dressing. Damn, I wish I still had a copy of the third DVD "Tips From The Master". It has a section on the tricks of basket weave I think you'd find helpful.
Any way that is a very fine job on the practice piece.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I will try what you suggest. That would have been great if you had the other DVD. How are you cutting the border and beveling it ? What make and number sunburst tool are you referring to. I think it was you in one of the posts I read about using packing tape on the bottom side which I did before I wet the leather.

I think the leather was a little too moist in certain areas as the stamp went in deeper on some. I need to get a better feel for when the leather is at the correct moisture before tooling.
Is it the tool that's off or is it me when looking at the other angle.

Last edited:
Paul, would it be OK to give you a call one night ? If so, Let me know what time is best to call so I'm not interfering with your routine.
Thanks
Vin

Vin, you cut the border with a swivel knife, (which you probably don't have yet, but you will) and then bevel the cut lines with a beveler (which you also probably don't have yet, but you will). That DVD coming will answer some of these questions I hope. Try to spend as much time as possible with the various You tube presentations, particularly casing and carving and/or stamping the leather.

Regarding calling me, I'm in the central time zone so it's always an hour earlier here than New York. It is now 11:15PM CDT and I'm still up..... You can call most any time you want. I'll always find time for you. So much more valuable information can be exchanged in conversation vs email.

Paul

Nice job. Specially for a first time or 15th time too. Three things can lead to inconsistent depth. Moisture content as you mentioned, inconsistent impaact on the tool, (practice, practice, practice fixes that) and inconsistent denistites across the piece of leather. Glassing/slicking really helps with that. I mostly check mositure content by eye and so there's that experience thing again. My wife Nichole, who is a very accomplished carver checks by placing the leather against her cheek. It should feel cool against your cheek. Give Paul a call he'll have ya cooking with gas in no time. Nice job.

Is it the tool that's off or is it me when looking at the other angle.

Can't blame the tool on that one. Tool quality can affect the crispness and quality of the mark left, not the consistency of where you place it. Again, far better than I did in the first couple years of messing with leather.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I was hoping it was the tool. LOL !!!!!!
I took me forever to do that little sample.

Vin

Nice job. Specially for a first time or 15th time too. Three things can lead to inconsistent depth. Moisture content as you mentioned, inconsistent impaact on the tool, (practice, practice, practice fixes that) and inconsistent denistites across the piece of leather. Glassing/slicking really helps with that. I mostly check mositure content by eye and so there's that experience thing again. My wife Nichole, who is a very accomplished carver checks by placing the leather against her cheek. It should feel cool against your cheek. Give Paul a call he'll have ya cooking with gas in no time. Nice job.

Hi Dave. Thanks for all the advice. I take it you're glass slicking the bottom of the leather before stamping ? Yes, I'm looking forward to speak with Paul.

Nope the top. Dampen your leather like ya would for the stamping. As the color is coming back strat slicking/glassing the top. Firm pressure, I use a piece of ligum vitae with rounded corners. Helps to even out the denistiy of the leather by quite a bit giving ya a more consistent tooling area.

Back