Becker Fall Gathering chat thread

Well, I had hoped to come. But we will be in NC fishing over this time. Shucks. It will be a great time I am sure

Of all the weekends in about an eight week period, that's the only one that I cannot make it. :(

Well, I had hoped to come. But we will be in NC fishing over this time. Shucks. It will be a great time I am sure

NC isn't that far from Knoxville......

Of all the weekends in about an eight week period, that's the only one that I cannot make it. :(

I still have a chunk of Taylor ham in the freezer -- we'll think fondly of Joey while we eat it. :p

As has been said many times ... Joey is about the only reason I ever get invited back anywhere a second time. Ever since Taylor Ham started becoming available in Tennessee - my prominence and popularity quickly faded, not unlike a two-dollar sportshirt.

I think Ethan somehow hacked my Google calendar account or secretly schmoozed my secretary into finding out, with pinpoint accuracy, the only weekend in the relevant time period that I am absolutely jam packed unavailable. Ethan will just have to wine me, dine and drunk me some other weekend. I'll advise what weekend is good for me.

I am thinking it would be a blast to drive down with copilot... fellars?

Even more sane to rent? Might wanna haul some of Ethan's treasures home ;)

I may yet try to get there. Will see how the week in NC goes. Hoping for good calm fishing weather

I am looking for ideas of possible seminars in the vein of the axe class at the last gathering..... who wants to know what?..... I could do an"evening class" on fire or shelter or counter tracking....
????????....... e

I'm not sure how this would go over in this type of setting,
I'm not "voting" this but just putting it out there.

Felling a tree with an axe and/or saw.

Properly maintaining and sharpening an axe. Explaining various edges and geometry and what they are used for.

I don't know these things, and would like to learn.

Was just texting with Todd and found out the dates. Ugh. I'm out unfortunately. I already promised Randall I'd help out with some cave rescue and crack/crevice rescue exercises. He's hosting a bunch of MSAR guys from North Carolina that weekend. I met one of them last year and am looking forward to picking the dude's brain some more. Going to scout some sites on Saturday.

I'm not sure how this would go over in this type of setting,
I'm not "voting" this but just putting it out there.

Felling a tree with an axe and/or saw.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I certainly don't consider myself an expert logger, but I can make a tree fall where I want it to. I could share a few felling techniques if there's interest.

I also thought about bringing old axe heads to restore and rehandle.

looks like the Southern Gathering is the same weekend as the usual "Fall Tool Auction"...

mmm. choices. ideally, Gathering === driving down i think. take a few days both ways and/or get there early/stay late. dunno.

then there's the tool thing. massive local community. it's not like there's much i need right now, and i know "the parts guy of doom" who is also local. mmm.

but i do think i need vacation... mmm. both are good.

Was just texting with Todd and found out the dates. Ugh. I'm out unfortunately. I already promised Randall I'd help out with some cave rescue and crack/crevice rescue exercises. He's hosting a bunch of MSAR guys from North Carolina that weekend. I met one of them last year and am looking forward to picking the dude's brain some more. Going to scout some sites on Saturday.

Sorry you can't make it. Would have been good to see you!

Back