<<BECKERHEAD BEACHBODIES>> ;) *MYB* G~A~W !! {not just for fitness pros....}

Walked a short mile and a half with the 15lb pack last night.

Volleyball was cut short tonight - F-i-L in hospital again.

Got up this morning did 2.75 miles with the dog. Then I was going to bike to work, made it 3km and my peddle fell off......it unbolted itself. So I walked 3km back home and got the SUV lol.

Damn....good to see a few of you have hung in while I've been AWOL.

Fine looking deck, Tim. Good thing you're still young ;).....I've been doing similar - on a MUCH smaller scale - and that just looks to me like a metric $#!+ ton of back-breaking labor. Actually, it's been very satisfying kinda shutting my brain off, sweating and using my body like the draft animal it is (I am).

Sorry to hear about the hand, hh. I've been there, albeit with different injuries and, likely, expectations.....and at the present moment find myself here - which is pretty much why I started this thread. Trying to focus on what I can do, and not allow what I can't do occupy any headspace. Trying, anyway - with wildly varying degrees of....success. With a couple "successes" that were more like, erm....abject failures. Good on ya for keeping at it despite your injury.

Aiki, I trust you'll be getting a package soon. Nice to hear of your outdoors exploits - hopefully, no more snow for you guys - at least until September ;).

TJ: Where out East? I live in the East......yeah getting tired.

To the rest of you (who I am thinking of by name but am just too tired to type them all out) thank you again for participating, and keep those cards and letters coming!
I have been riding a little, shooting my bow a little, doing a LOT of labor and wheelbarrowing dirt & mulch around, some of it downhill...I've been active. Still need more (a$$) fitness on the bike - but at least the legs feel ok.

I have a Garmin VivoSmart to give away (planned on doing it last Friday, but....not that organized....) that I'll put up in Post #2 soon.

Sorry to hear about the hand, hh.
Thanks - It's been over 3 weeks, now; and still quite swollen. It doesn't "pop" as frequently as it had been; but it hurts a whole lot more when it does, and takes longer for that pain to subside. Found out yesterday that it still hates the lawn mower. I got a bit more done than the last time; but probably regretted it more, too - ended up with the splint back on for the rest of the day. I broke down and tried to go to the Ortho place's Urgent Care this past Saturday; but they don't see worker's comp cases on weekends (or after 5p, M-F)...after grumbling a bit about the waste of my time during the trip home, I threw on the pack & put a couple miles under my belt. Overall, the hand is more functional than it was a week ago; so I'll keep doing what I'm doing until I actually get in to see ortho. It's much easier to keep plugging along with my hand being an issue than it was when my knee the problem. I let that beat me for a while, because it's tough to keep rolling with a bad wheel.
I'm going to push some weights today, then head over to the other house to do some yardwork. I had some silly plans of batoning through the wood I'd cut (last week) today - the BKs 9 and 21 have been unused since last fall - but common sense has prevailed. I'll probably just throw the stuff in my Blazer and cart it home, so it's out of the way & I can get those 2 areas cleared/mowed.

Last edited:
Walked 4.5 miles yesterday, including 1.5 miles with the 15lb rucksack.
I gotta start earlier so I can bump the mileage back up.
Also repaired a couple broken irrigation lines, but they were at the surface so the exertion level was minimal.

Mike - they've been sending me to York, PA. 3 times in as many months, but never over a weekend. Coming and going through Baltimore, I did manage to grab breakfast with my sister a couple times. I looked up distance to the NH coast, and it was a bit much for a brief trip. I also wanted to stop by my birthplace - Bergen County, NJ. (Yes, I know, it's the wrong side of the cesspool.) We moved away when I was 3 months old, and I've never been back. Closest I've come is Philly on an overnight stopover returning from Florida years ago, though my wife made it to the Big Apple a couple years back.
People keep telling me I should try it in the fall, so I'll see what I can arrange for the future.

Fine looking deck, Tim. Good thing you're still young ;).....I've been doing similar - on a MUCH smaller scale - and that just looks to me like a metric $#!+ ton of back-breaking labor. Actually, it's been very satisfying kinda shutting my brain off, sweating and using my body like the draft animal it is (I am).

Yep, but I completely agree about shutting off the brain and just working away. I love building stuff or being able to work on a project. Even more so when I don't have to think about anything other then the project!

Today I couldn't get up for my run. A combination of the past few days pushing my speed on runs, and how late I was up last night. I needed the rest. Going to get to bed early tonight so tomorrow is a good day!

2.5 mile run then some physio work and stretching. Even attempted a few planks, wasn't exactly comfortable on the shoulder joint but there wasn't any pain :D May have to start up with those again :D

+2.5 more miles this evening!

Last edited:
Push ups and planks in the evening for the past few days...need to get back to walking.

lots of walking at work today (about 1/4 of the staff AND the boss was gone, so I got to get out of my office and do things)
cleared out/rearranged our large conference room, rearranged the warehouse, moved a couple pallets of carpet squares, rearranged storage, and changed out some lightbulbs 13' in the air.

Gah! I've been moving, but slacking on coming back to this thread! I finally braved the swimming pool with the support of my friend (bathing suit + newly acquired belly just makes me feel like I wanna hide) and it felt really good to be in the water. Made my stomach all acidy by the end of our swim, but heck, everything seems to do that these days haha! I've been doing more walking now that the sun has been out more consistently. I feel kinda like a turtle, but walking is actually one of the more comfortable things for me right now. I'm jealous of everyone's home improvement projects, how cool! I'm still living in an apartment so my patio doesn't need much maintenance. :p Our apartment pool is opening soon so Cameron and I plan to use that a lot this summer.

Yards are overrated! And waaaaaay too much work lol . I took today off running. My dad came over and we footed and framed the first (3 of 4) 12foot by 55inch sections of my boardwalk. Going to finish up the last section and start to lay the boards on Monday. Tomorrow we have plans to head up north. Maybe get the kids some trigger time

shopping day with SWMBO -- parked at the theater, walked to the mall, hit 4 stores, walked back to the theater, watched Kong, then more shopping at Kohls & Wally.

Mowed the lawn, pulled weeds, fixed some sprinklers. Added up to some 9000 steps - about 4 1/2 miles for me.

One sprinkler leaking even though the timer has it off - yards are weird, and an awful lot of trouble.

Yesterday I had a great time up north with the kiddos. Got a little bit of a workout in but not much lol. The chain kept coming off of the kids 110cc ATV so every time it came off I'd push it back to the garage to be repaired (from wherever it died). Took us a good long time to get the tensioner and axles adjusted so it wouldn't fall off anymore. Seems like it was just an alignment problem.

Today I got up and ran 2.75 miles, then did my physio work. I also pushed out 10 push-ups (i'm not supposed to be doing them yet but I needed to try). From the last fitness challenge where I did over 100 in a row until now...... it gives me a greater appreciation of where I was before my accident. The end of next month will come quickly, and while I don't want time to pass fast, I want to go see my surgeon and get cleared to start doing them again!

walked a couple miles today - mostly as a medium amble.
finished the few minutes of daylight and most of dusk swinging the new weedeater at green stuff.

2.5 miles on the treadmill this morning followed by physio work. Yesterday I forgot to mention that I did more work in the backyard. I got the final frame built, footed, and half of the deckboard on. I need to pick up 47 more 12 foot deckboards to finish the entire span. A job for later today maybe!

Thunderstorms rolled in, couldn't get the wood I needed. Sounds like a job for the weekend!

Last edited:
Yesterday cleaned the aftermath of Sunday's Memorial Day party, stripped and sanded a cabinet, and took the 12 year old and FIL to Pirates of the Carribean.
A whole mess of nonsensical fun.

Today, finished prepping the cabinet for its new coat of paint.
Walked 4 miles - 2.5 with the 15 lb pack. Also held a plank for a minute, and got in about 6 push-ups before the 11 year old attacked and nearly broke my spine.

Rofl! my kids do that to me all the time! its why I have to work out before everybody wakes up in the morning!

Today I felt good so I decided to try a little bit of a further distance and time myself. 4.1 miles in 35.48min (not to shabby at 8.5min/ mile). At my best I was able to do a 5 mile in 29.46(just under a 6min/mile) going all out as hard as I could. So I still have a ways to go, but its a start! I stepped on the scale the other day and I'm back at my pre-injury weight (188lbs), at the beginning of this thread I was 197lbs. Ultimately I want to get under 180, It will be the second time in 15-18 years (and I'm only 34 ;))

I finished up today with stretching and some physio work. I snapped my theraband..... looks like I need to go up in resistance :D

Damn TBL, good stuff, haven't seen 180 since high school...hell, haven't seen the other side of 200 for 15+ years :)

Weekend was spent with yet more yard work - mowing of lawns, repairing of decks, building of lattices. Last night went for a nice long walk with the dog and rugrat. Topped it off with a slurpie from Mac's, which pretty much nullified any exercise gains.

Back