Beckerhead firearms

DSC01199.jpg

Any of our Becker Gun guys familiar with Mass ? Im looking for a local
gun shop, and also needing gun law info for the Mass area.

Father in law is giving me a .410. Very unique, from the 1960's. Need to go pick it up. Pics when I get it.

Got a new silencer (or suppressor if you prefer...I'm not pedantic about it) and thought I'd share my first impressions. This is a demo model that I got directly from Alpha Dog to show customers and demo at the range. A lot of the silencer manufacturers are offering them to dealers at 50% of MSRP to help boost sales since a lot of customers are holding their breath for the HPA. My opinion is that I wouldn't wait if there was something I wanted.

The interested thing about the Alpha Dog design is the built-in Picatinny rail. I admit that I've been wanting one of those battle mug coffee cups with the rail, but am not willing to shell out $150 for one...plus I don't want to drink my coffee out of aluminum... Anyway, the rail acts as a heat sink to keep the silencer cooler in addition to the obvious ability to hang stuff on it. Once attached, it can be indexed so the rail is on whichever position you prefer. Top and bottom are obvious, but you could do left, right, or various angles in between. They do warn not to attach a vertical fore grip since that is not only illegal without registering it as an AOW ("any other weapon") under the NFA, but also is not safe for the hand that would be on the forward grip.

Here it is on an XD(m) Compact in 45 ACP with the extended magazine and rail on top.

A cool feature is that they included two dots at rear and one in the front that can be used to sight down the channel of the rail. The three yellow dots are the ones on the rail.

With the rail on the bottom, you could mount your trusty Laserlyte TacTool pistol bayonet.

Or perhaps a Streamlight light and green laser would be more practical.

I'll also have to try out a small red dot (Burris FastFire III perhaps) with the rail on top. That might actually be the best setup.

Anyway, hopefully I can get to range and see how it performs in the next week or two.

Hahaha, that looks absurd! Thank you for posting it. :)

How much does it weigh? How much does it suppress? Now you've got an enormous compact pistol.

mmmm

Springfield XDM large... on my list...

i might even sell a couple guns and thin the herd.

i love my glock, i hate my glock :D but it's unique (very)

i love my steyr, i love my steyr, also unique (and cheap)

easier to just guy more guns

Hahaha, that looks absurd! Thank you for posting it. :)

How much does it weigh? How much does it suppress? Now you've got an enormous compact pistol.

I suppose a comparison is in order. It turns out that the Alpha Dog 45 is slightly lighter (10.6 oz) than both the SilencerCo Osprey 45 (11.1 oz) and Octane 45 (12.1 oz). As you can see, they are all about the same dimensions. I haven't done a side-by-side at the range yet, but all three are really close in sound reduction with ratings at about 131-132 dB (midway between snowmobile and fireworks on one list of common sounds...).

Osprey 45 (on the Para 45 Commander)
Alpha Dog 45
Octane 45

I do like the Octane for hanging on the 9mm AR pistol (hopefully SBR soon...) with a fixed barrel adapter. The Osprey requires a 9mm piston and a fixed barrel spacer so it's a bit less elegant a solution. I expect this purpose will be better filled by an Omega 9K which has been Form 3'd and allegedly has been in manufacture for the last 4 weeks.

For comparison, here is the XD(m) Compact (with a small mag this time) and the Para Commander. I should really get a full size 1911 to make the can look smaller... Or one of those big, honkin' Teutonic double-stack 45's that all the cool kids use. :D

New to this forum, new to Beckers and hopefully a Beckerhead in a not to distant future.. [emoji39]

Might be a bit on thin ice posting in a beckerhead thread but doing it anyway.

Geared up for som hoghunting☺
DSC_0458_zpsuimh8tin.jpg

New to this forum, new to Beckers and hopefully a Beckerhead in a not to distant future.. [emoji39]

Might be a bit on thin ice posting in a beckerhead thread but doing it anyway.

Geared up for som hoghunting☺

Welcome! Looks good to me. What caliber(s)?

Father in law is giving me a .410. Very unique, from the 1960's. Need to go pick it up. Pics when I get it.

Got it tonight. It's a 1960's vintage Garcia Bronco .410 "Survival" takedown shotgun. I guess they were made in the late 60's, and in the 70's. My father in law said he bought it in the late 60's, ordering it from a Boy's Life magazine. Kind of unique:

Case:

1.png

Broke down:

2.png

Together:

3.png

Obviously, a single shot model. Pull the pin, give it a twist, pull back the ejector, insert a new shell. Look forward to taking it out and giving it a go.

Got it tonight. It's a 1960's vintage Garcia Bronco .410 "Survival" takedown shotgun. I guess they were made in the late 60's, and in the 70's. My father in law said he bought it in the late 60's, ordering it from a Boy's Life magazine. Kind of unique:

*snip*

Obviously, a single shot model. Pull the pin, give it a twist, pull back the ejector, insert a new shell. Look forward to taking it out and giving it a go.

Very cool!

I was just about to make another post in this thread and it must be fate. I have a prototype tact ical sight that I'm calling the TP-1. It's made in America and uses 50% recycled materials. Current version does have some parallax issues, but I'm working on a dual focal-plane version that would be parallax-free. This thing will work on a rifle, pistol, shotgun, or a bow. It's amazing! I'd be willing to let you test the TP-1 if you pay shipping costs. I was going to offer it to bigghoss for testing, but since you made the most recent post, you get first right of refusal. :D

Very cool!

I was just about to make another post in this thread and it must be fate. I have a prototype tact ical sight that I'm calling the TP-1. It's made in America and uses 50% recycled materials. Current version does have some parallax issues, but I'm working on a dual focal-plane version that would be parallax-free. This thing will work on a rifle, pistol, shotgun, or a bow. It's amazing! I'd be willing to let you test the TP-1 if you pay shipping costs. I was going to offer it to bigghoss for testing, but since you made the most recent post, you get first right of refusal. :D

Thanks for the offer, but I can't afford shipping at the moment. :D

You had your chance! Now I'll have to make the offer to bigghoss...when he shows back up. I'm thinking he may have taken Derek's place hanging out with Moosez...

On a serious note: I've been looking at 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel for a medium-ish AR15 type cartridge. Anyone have personal experience with either/both? The internet seems to be mixed on both.

No experience whatsoever.
SPC looks to be a little more commonly available.
Grendel is a slightly smaller diameter, and heavier (longer) projectiles, and slightly higher speed. Higher BC, better at extended ranges. And at bucking the wind. Which, to me, seems like the whole point of either over 7.62x39.
So I'd go Grendel.
But how much does it really matter? 10 additional yards MPBR?
Honestly, I doubt the coyotes, hogs & deers are gonna be able to tell the difference. And on paper, just adjust your sight to compensate.

Last edited:

You had your chance! Now I'll have to make the offer to bigghoss...when he shows back up. I'm thinking he may have taken Derek's place hanging out with Moosez...

On a serious note: I've been looking at 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel for a medium-ish AR15 type cartridge. Anyone have personal experience with either/both? The internet seems to be mixed on both.

Back