Beckers And Chainsaw Photos Here

My Husky 142, and the BK9.

30-vi.png

31-vi.png

32-vi.png

it's always cool when you have 15 minutes free to make some wood :D

it's always cool when you have 15 minutes free to make some wood :D
I had cut down 2 smallish oak trees, several months back. But, standing on uneven ground, with lots and lots of rocks around, it took some time to buck it up. Then, haul it to a flat place. I used a splitter on some of it, but some I had to wedge. Then, I used me 9, and the wife used her 4 to baton it into smaller sizes to accommodate my wood stove. Took us 2 and a half hours for the pile you see on the porch. Was nice to have waking up to the 4ยฐ weather this morning. 4ยฐ outside, 70ยฐ inside.

2v2J9FrRMxACRfS.jpg

I keep my #2 by the fireplace for makin' kindlin'. It just explodes oak and the straight grain woods. :)

The scales are harvested from a Black Walnut tree that came down during one of the last hurricanes.

lCLbbBL.jpg
PEnynkU.jpg
pKQrx62.jpg

AP5FmAw.jpg
yplcl3p.jpg

I think ya got the wrong thread, haha.

I got my chainsaw, I just didn't feel like goin' out to the garage so I saved a spot. :) Bein' in the weeds of NEPA and livin' on a little over 7 acres with a stream through the middle I get/got to do a lot of cuttin' I'll post a pic of my saw and the Becker later.

32-vi.png

Next to a good set of timber tongs to lift and drag the wood, the log roller is the other indispensable tool for cuttin' wood.

LOG-40218_40218_TIMBER_LIFTING_TONGS.png

I had cut down 2 smallish oak trees, several months back. But, standing on uneven ground, with lots and lots of rocks around, it took some time to buck it up. Then, haul it to a flat place. I used a splitter on some of it, but some I had to wedge. Then, I used me 9, and the wife used her 4 to baton it into smaller sizes to accommodate my wood stove. Took us 2 and a half hours for the pile you see on the porch. Was nice to have waking up to the 4ยฐ weather this morning. 4ยฐ outside, 70ยฐ inside.

2v2J9FrRMxACRfS.jpg
Nicely done, that should make your stay warm and cozy

Nicely done, that should make your stay warm and cozy
Sure did. I like burning oak. Lasts for awhile, and puts off some good heat. I can rake the coals to the front of the stove, place 3 splits in there at 10 pm, adjust the vent to cat eyes, and at 6 am there will still be some coals to get her going again. Works out great.

Nice. Did you use a froe for the planks?

I see the faces in your wood stacks. Too much time on your hands.:D

Have any plans for that 5/4" stuff or did you just want to make pretty firewood?

I see the faces in your wood stacks. Too much time on your hands.:D

Have any plans for that 5/4" stuff or did you just want to make pretty firewood?

holz-haussen stacking is fast. unless like that last one, you make a "timber framed" platform sitting on stone (also split) so it won't rot :D

IMG_4211.jpg

yeah, it's greenish still, white oak. i scored a few ton of white oak and hickory, and have the bulk of it painted and waiting. this batch i'll try planing out, and seeing what i can make. possibly dowel with stuff not planky like, but otherwise, maybe chair bottoms?

Heck yeah. Chair bottoms could be fun. Maybe get some limbs and play with steam forming the chair backs? There are some old oak chairs in my family that traveled in a covered wagon a couple hundred years ago.

Looks like they are about the appropriate size for little end tables too. It will be interesting to see what you come up with, if you feel like showing.

oh, totes. for xmas i got the 1-33 dvd set of woodwright's shop, i'm "all in", for green wood working, shave horses/mules, moxon vise via benchcrafted, planes, trains, and shit.

i have a slight issue with collecting old tools and restoring them, but imma start making things...

2018 should be cool... lots of ways. so many ways.

Using tools means that they require periodic restoration, especially those with wooden handles. Rehanging tools is therapeutic after their years of abuse and neglect, I find.

Back