Benchmade 484 Nakamura

I have been waiting for my local-ish knife company to release something desirable, and on paper, this knife seemed fit the bill.

I've been carrying a 710-2 in M390 for a little while now, and have slowly accepted that a ~9" folder just takes up too much room for my EDC needs. I wanted to stay with so called "Super Steels", as I've become accustomed to the edge retention they offer.

Onto the 484! When the press release came out, the first thing I noticed was the handle shape. There's no getting around it, this knife will either fit your hand, or it won't. The second thing I noticed was how tall the thumb studs were, as is typical with the 48X series of knives.

When the knife arrived, I eagerly pulled the blue box open and snatched the black bag. I was taken aback by the lack of size! The Benchmade photos make this knife to be of medium to large size... That's the last time I ever ignore the tech specs!

Overall Length: 7.03"
Closed Length: 3.95"
Blade Length: 3.08"
Blade Thickness: 0.114"
Handle Thickness: 0.570"
Blade Material: M390 Super Premium Stainless Steel
Weight: 3.52oz.

From the numbers, you can see this thing is SMALL. Like, Mini-Grip small. I took a few comparison photos of well-known knives for reference. These are arranged from smallest to largest:

Paramilitary 2

710-2

And laughably, an 810

After carrying it for a few days, I can say the size doesn't bother me. It has almost the same length of cutting edge that the PM2 has, but with a MUCH smaller handle. Speaking of the handle, it is exquisitely comfortable to my medium hands. The thumb-ramp jimping is perfect, and well-placed.

But, like I said, SMALL.

The liners aren't drilled, so if someone wanted to make the 484 lighter, there is wiggle room

Split-Arrow clip. Some people say this knife rides high, but I like it like that. I've seen the 810 clip put on the 484, but it sticks off the end of the handle, ruining the ergos and asthetics.

The fit and finish was what we've come to expect from Benchmade over the last few years: Not all that great. The blade was not centered, and the edge was work-sharp, but very wavy. The main bevel was about 1.5 mm shorter on one side, meaning I needed to grind into the plunge line in order to sharpen the full edge. On a positive note, the pivot is perfect. Very little play, and the blade will fall open under it's own weight and swing a few times when the Axis Lock is pulled. The edge was standard Benchmade nonsense at 45º-50º inclusive, but this one came in pretty crappy. My 1/2" stones wouldn't hit parts of the blade until a lot of material had been removed. I now run it at 34º inclusive, and stropped to a hazy mirror finish. The blade shape lends itself to be a slicer, and it doesn't disappoint! It will push cut printer paper almost silently.

Aesthetically, this knife is very pleasing to look at. The blade is almost just a small version of the Spyderco Gayle Bradley. The handle looks terrible in the stock photos, but it actually matte in nature. The pivot screws are black with a silver metal band sticking out from under them... As a BMW owner, this closely matches my Angel Eyes. Just like Angel Eyes, some will love it, some will hate it.

Glamor shots:

Unfortunately, a rather large issue arose when I began carrying the knife. The very exposed and long thumbstuds can grab the inside of a jeans pocket and near-Emerson Wave the knife about 1/4 open before releasing the blade, slamming it shut. I actually ended up with a nice notch in my pointer finger nail from this madness before I even realized what was going on. I tried to fit a set of studs off of one of my other Benchmades, but the hole in the blade is significantly smaller than those of the rest of the knives I own. To give you an idea of the problem, I took this picture mid-pull:

In all, the knife is growing on me a LOT. I've had to change the way I grab it from my pocket so my finger doesn't get Bobbittized, but I find it to be a very capable, comfortable, and attractive knife once the factory kinks are worked out.

Benchmade 484:

Pros:

Delicious M390 with slicer geometry
Most ergonomic knife I've ever handled
Very pleasing to the eye
Pivot feels like it rolls on Swiss bearings instead of bushings
Axis Lock is always good thing
Small size makes it non-existent in my pocket

Cons:

Benchmade's quality control department still hasn't come back from vacationing at the Beijing Olympics
Much smaller than it appears... Try before you buy if you have big hands
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Clip holds knife up high (most people prefer low)
High-profile thumbstuds can cause the knife to open part way while pulling it out of pocket

Thanks for the fine review and photos!

I am fascinated to read what others think of the 484. I've had mine a week and I'm still trying to decide how much I like it.

Mine was handpicked by the dealer but still arrived with blade play. Also, the blade dropped so fast when closing that it almost always cut the palm of my hand.

Tightening the pivot screw just a bit got rid of the blade play. The blade still sometimes nicks my palm, although now only occasionally. I wonder if the relatively short handle is partly responsible.

Although it is just 3 oz, the 484 is still heavier than it needs to be. The liners should be skeletonized. And the scales could be thinner, although that is a matter of taste. They are certainly not as wide as those on the 300 flipper, a similar design.

That said, I love the looks and feel of the scalloped scales on the 484!

The 390 blade steel is the big attraction for most of us. Mine was sharp, although not shaving sharp.

My dealer described the blade finish as sort of a "dirty stonewash." To me, it looks like a combination of stonewash and partly satin finish. I like it, but I'd like an even more pronounced stonewashing finish.

I do not have any issues with the thumb studs or clip, which are first-rate. I like the jimping, and the stand-offs are a really nice touch on a smaller knife.

In comparison, my 707 Sequel, another small folder, is lighter, has thinner handles and skeletonized liners, and never nicks my palm when closing. I wish the Sequel had jimping and stand-offs.

The Sequel is a great small folder. But it's not nearly as cool-looking as the 484.

In comparison, my 707 Sequel, another small folder, is lighter, has thinner handles and skeletonized liners, and never nicks my palm when closing. I wish the Sequel had jimping and stand-offs.

The Sequel is a great small folder. But it's not nearly as cool-looking as the 484.

I had a 707 for a while and just couldn't get used to how small the handle felt. Absolutely nothing wrong with the knife, just an incompatibility with my anatomy, so I gave it to a friend.

I definitely agree that the slabs could be thinner on the 484, and the blade finish isn't here nor there.

How are you hitting the palm of your hand when it closes?!

How are you hitting the palm of your hand when it closes?!

Best I can see, it's a short handle and the blade fills it. When I grip the knife to close it, the skin on my palm puffs up just enough to get nicked by the tip of the falling blade -- always in the same spot.

Great review and pictures—thank you.

I am interested in this knife, but the high price and smallness of it, along with the lack of quality control problems make me hesitate to get one.

Maybe they will come out with a larger version within the next few years.

It will be a "wait-and-see" for sure now.

I'm liking this knife! I'm still getting used to the size. It carries well, and the pivot is legendary.

I did have to coarsen the 34º edge a bit, as the pros in the Maintenance forum informed me that M390 isn't optimal when polished. I may take some sandpaper to the scales, as the corners of the G-10 in the finger groves is not tapered (the high points are though).

Since I have large hands I tried the BM484 but it felt like I was missing something ( yep - a handful of Knife.* ) and then I
bought a Gayle Bradley and "WOW" what a difference that made ~~ felt like it was made just for me.! Love that GB.^^
{ And then I added another Para (( 4 & all different..< )) and they are in a class by themselves and all 100% Knives.!!**^^}
Need I say more.??

I went into the local knife store for another knife and came back with the 484 instead. Once I picked up this knife I could not put it down. The handle fits my hand perfectly, every contour makes sense. I'm feeling lucky and special that this knife exists. Maybe it's the honeymoon period, but I'm in love with this knife.

If you already like the mini-grip, and you have small/medium-sized hands, you owe it to yourself to handle this knife.

Re: benchmade quality control, luckily I was able to pick a good one in person. I guess there is still a reason to shop at B&M stores.

Just realized the blade on the 484 resembles the blade shape of the benchmade mini skirmish

And it's almost a shadow of the Spyderco Gayle Bradley, minus the hollow grind.

Great review.

I wish BM, for what they charge (they are my favorite production knife) could sort out the QC issues...

Quick question, I haven't had a chance to handle the 484 yet, but the handle looks it would be full of hotspots with the deep, almost square textured G10.

How is that aspect of the knife?

I went through a few cardboard boxes a few weeks ago and there was definitely one hotspot behind the axis lock. I'm considering rounding the edges a little but more with some sandpaper. Other than that one spot, the "in-use ergos" are spot on. The raised spine with jimping provides a wonderful place for a thumb, and is reminiscent of one of my all-time favorites: The Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

Had to break down a extra large cardboard box yesterday so I used the 484 and a S30V Blur. The 484 was much more comfortable to hold, with and without gloves. I had more control with the 484, while the blur's cuts would move left & right. The M390 was clearly out cutting S30V, it never snagged or tore the cardboard while the S30V dulled quickly that I had to use a saw motion later on.

When it was all done both edges reflected light (i'm guess that's the rolled apex, or wire edge?). A few passes on the sharpmaker brought them both back.

Nice review! I'm interested in possibly purchasing a 484 and would like to know how it's holding up and what your feelings are towards it now that almost a year has gone by since this thread was posted?

I love my 484 and I bought a 484-1 to match. aside from having a broke axis spring replaced by bm, I've had no problems so far. Bm was nice enough to send me extra parkerized clip since I don't like the shiny clip on 484

Back