Benchmade 551-1701 Griptilian DLT Trading Exlcusive

Just got it unboxed and it is fantastic! This is my first carbon fiber handled knife and the scales feel very nice. Great action and no fit and finish issues to speak of. Very nice action on this knife.

One thing that I didn't notice about it when I ordered is that it doesn't have a lanyard hole. I kind of wanted it to have one, but I think I'm gonna be ok without it.

Sorry in advance for the lack of pics. I'm gonna learn someday.

Why does it list two hardnesses?
One said 58-61 and the other says 60-62...

Eta: Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
This benchmade is awesome it's in my top 3 or 4 right now. Pictured with another fantastic knife. 1st time dealing with DLT Trading they quality checked the knife for me before shipping and it arrived in 2 days, so I'm very pleased with their service as well as the exclusive they came up with!

Last edited:
Just wanna say, I gave in and got one if these. Wow, I absolutely love it. I have to say, out of my 100+ collection of knives this has to be my favorite. I love holding it and flipping it. It is well balanced and great to grip. The only thing that would make it better is offering it with the sheepsfoot blade with hole opener. Man....

Are the sides flat or curved like other Grips?

Is the handle thinner or the same thickness as other Grips?

It's a really nice look on the knife. I like the style of the sales and how they are a bit thinner. May not be able to pick one up on this first run, but if it is re-released, I definitely see myself putting some $$ down and getting one.

I'm stoked to finally pick one up. Hoping to pull the trigger this paycheck. Figure it will be a lot like the KSF 908 but stainless, which is awesome for shorts, bbqs, and summertime.

Anybody have more pics to tide the rest of us over?

Oh, that's very nice. I'm thinking that will be my next knife purchase.

Got one one the way looks like a great knife. Would love to see this in the mini version as well

One thing that I didn't notice about it when I ordered is that it doesn't have a lanyard hole. I kind of wanted it to have one, but I think I'm gonna be ok without it.

Sorry in advance for the lack of pics. I'm gonna learn someday.

Looking at the -1701 online and comparing it to the 550-1 that I bought my wife for her birthday earlier this month, there's enough clearance between the blade and the rear standoff to wrap a lanyard around that. I just quickly knotted some 550 on J's knife and, like another one or two I've tied-up that way, it works well. The -1701 features a deep-carry clip like the -1 and the stock location for a lanyard hole would be pretty far forward for that clip anyway.

As to posting pics, Kiteman, have you tried the Upload a File method with the new software? It's pretty easy to browse your device to grab a pic--just need to be within BF size parameters (1000 w x 750 h or so) for good display. Feel free to PM if you want a bit of a walk-thru. :)

Back