(More photos added 5/6) Benchmade AFO II and Loving the Plunge Lock

BellaBlades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So, I recently took the Plunge ;) and picked up a limited edition Gray AFO II from Blade HQ for utility, rescue and last ditch S/D. I picked up the plain edge. This short review is based on a few weeks of use from a guy that never had an interest in this style of knife before. Dont be fooled by the color of the website photos. The gray handles are actually a dark gun metal gray in a matte finish. Very attractive. I believe the last time I picked up a new benchmade was a mini rukus about 9 years ago. Mostly due to the fact that I just dont care for the axis lock because the springs bothered me. Yet for some reason I do not feel the same way about the coil springs in the AFO, go figure.

The QC is darn near spot on. It came with a very nice edge. Almost perfectly even about 16 on one side and 17 on the other. The blade was ground well. The handle is gorgeous and nicely machined and that includes the inside of the knife after taking it apart to lube it with some dry lube rem oil. My only gripe is the blade is just slightly off center 55/45. Over all with some small imperfections I give it a 9-10 for QC and 10/10 for design and operation.

Thus far the plunge lock has been superior in my opinion to just about any lock I have tried. It has a strong spring and when the knife is open there is plenty of resistance when pressing the lock. It also sticks nicely just a little bit, so when you press it there is a nice little click so you know the lock up is positive. It is very durable and with the added safety I would trust this knife for anything a folder can be used for. Zero blade play and I mean zero. The stop pin is just like some of the other framelocks and folders that Benchmade makes. A rotating pin held in by a torx screw in the shape of an octagon. Each side allowing to adjust for earlier engagement if the lock ever wears in.

The safety is also designed to allow for future adjustment as well. The 154 CM blade has cut and hacked about every material I could use it for including some pine and has shown zero edge damage and yet takes a very keen edge. The auto fires hard and reliably. For a heavier knife it handles very well and I cannot think of a knife that feels more solid, many that match it, but nothing more so.

I will try to revise this over the weekend and add more information.

benchmade-9051BK-1601-AFO-II-gray-black-BHQ-49947-er.jpg

Last edited:
Glass breaker opens beer like a champ. Arrow clip is more comfortable than stock clip and the safety and button are all blacked out. No bare metal on this model. Benchmade sent me 3 different clips and nine screws. So thanks for that. That's it for an update. Working on picture capability. Pia.

Picture finally added. Had to figure out photo sharing from the phone.

Told you. Its not even close lol. But in a good way IMO.

The new phone my wife got me has a wicked camera. Sweeeet.
This knife is one tough SOB. I have cut every material I can think of and the edge holds up great with no micro chips at all. I am beyond impressed with the way BM does 154CM. Its acting no different than the CPM 154 I typically prefer. Best of all the lock is silly tough with zero wiggle. So I am happy enough. I will try and do a video. It would be my first ever.

Last edited:
Nice knife i definitely see an afo in my my future! Im curious if by chance you relocated the pocket clip and if it left unsightly marks where it originally was?

Timothy75. There were no markings on the knife from original tip down carry. I carry right hand tip up but tip down position in the sheath for quick deployment.

Cheesehead. It is a great edc. Im happy you like it as well. She takes a screaming edge too.

Last edited:
Back