Benchmade Replacing Blades

I don't get it, how could the serrations end up looking like that just from cutting shipping straps and the like? What was the Kevlar you cut like? The only Kevlar I know are the fibers in bodyarmor and the lining in gloves.

ETA: Did you ever sharpen your serrations or did you just keep cutting away?

Last edited:
This thread has brought me hope of saving a favorite knife.

I was a fool and used it for everything at work.
Cutting cardboard...Straps..Plastic and kevlar

Lesson learned..
Use a Box knife with replaceable blades for cardboard and shipping straps.

It left this morning back to Benchmade for a new blade.
This time Satin and plain edge.
When it returns. A standard EDC it will be.
Cutting food ,opening a letter, cutting the tape on a box or if needed a selfdefense tool.

Let my shame be a learning lesson for you.
and yes..This is what happens when you wear out serrations.

Ill post pics of it when it comes back.

There is no shame in using a knife to cut things. Benchmades are meant to be "rode hard and put away wet.". Your knife speaks of an owner who loves his knife and knows what it's meant to do!

Lesson learned..

Cutting food ,opening a letter, cutting the tape on a box or if needed a selfdefense tool.

I think this blade is an excellent example of what this service is all about. I see nothing to feel shame about. I see a knife that was well used & served your purpose but, is now in need of customer service.

I think this blade is an excellent example of what this service is all about. I see nothing to feel shame about. I see a knife that was well used & served your purpose but, is now in need of customer service.

I see that too..
A well used blade that gave me justification to the wife
to buy a new knife.

The 740 Dejavoo is an awsome knife.
Light.. Fast deploying...Low pocket carry.

And since BM still has blades for it. I have too.
$25 bucks I would be a fool not to.
I love their knives.

I don't get it, how could the serrations end up looking like that just from cutting shipping straps and the like? What was the Kevlar you cut like? The only Kevlar I know are the fibers in bodyarmor and the lining in gloves.

ETA: Did you ever sharpen your serrations or did you just keep cutting away?

Kevlar is used in alot of things.

I was cutting this. Anywhere from 10 to 30 in one day
in 4 days

mk83.jpg

The fabric has to be separated from the metal for recycling.

And yes. I did re-sharpen the teeth with my sharpmaker.
but when the teeth are gone it can only do so much.

That's strange - I would have expected them to replace it with 154CM since that's the current standard griptilian blade material. That is the only choice they gave me when I sent in a CE D2 blade that I wanted a PE in.

That doesn't seem right. I would be a lot unhappy. The D2 Grips are still available, so it should be replaced with the same blade..

Yeah, my hope was to get 154 but I guess the water resistant line gets replaced with water resistant line steel. It's fine with me, as I will be able to switch to combo edge. How cool is it that this is even an option? :)

That's true...

From experience, this is not correct. You'll get a 154cm blade.

Again, this just doesn't seem right. If it's a Cabelas knife that came with a D2 blade, it should be replaced with a D2 blade.

So if a person ordered from the Custom Grip build and ordered D2 or S30V, and needed a blade replaced, it would be replaced with 154 ? That would make me a little grumpy.

Lesson learned..

There is no shame in using a knife to cut things. Benchmades are meant to be "rode hard and put away wet.". Your knife speaks of an owner who loves his knife and knows what it's meant to do!

Yep. The problem is, most people don't actually use their knives, and aren't use to seeing one that has been used for it's intended purpose :D
Most of the pictures posted, are of knives that are pristine.

That's a nice looking knife just the way it is. The wear marks are acceptable and I'll bet the knife worked well for the tasks it was used for. Still the replacement policy and fine-tuning that always comes with the package are both a great offering and bargain.

That's a nice looking knife just the way it is. The wear marks are acceptable and I'll bet the knife worked well for the tasks it was used for. Still the replacement policy and fine-tuning that always comes with the package are both a great offering and bargain.

Absolutely. Heck, if he didn't care about the serrations, that blade still has a lot of life left in it. I agree though. If it was mine, and I liked serrations, I would just get it replaced for a few bucks, and basically have a new knife again...

Just don't expect it back for about a month. I sent my 581 and 940 in for work and after calling yesterday I found out they arrived on 2/5 and repairs dept. still hasn't got to them yet. CS said they were now working on knives received on 1/28 so they should be getting to mine sometime late next week.

FYI In no way am I griping here (well.... maybe a little). It's a great service. I just wanted to give the heads up on current wait times.

That is a big difference from what the CS representative told me.
2 to 3 weeks. Or 10 to 15 business days.

We'll see.

But whenever it comes in I'm posting pics.

No more serrations.
Just plain satin goodness.

The email I got from BM Repair Dept

"Thank you for sending your product into Benchmade Knife Company!
We wanted to let you know we received your package and are currently processing all Lifesharp knives and repairs within 12-14 business days.
As soon as your service is complete we will send you an email with tracking information.

Thank you!
Benchmade Product Services
800-800-7427
repair@benchmade.com"

Give CS a ring after you get the confirmation email. they will give you a more accurate ETA on when it will get done. When I spoke to them I was told that they got a ton of knives in the last 2 months (post x-mas rush?) and are repairing on a first come, first serve basis. I just wanted to give a heads-up so you can make sure you have a decent back-up EDC, cuz you'll be using it for a while. Who knows? I'm hoping you get it back sooner though.

And yes. I did re-sharpen the teeth with my sharpmaker.
but when the teeth are gone it can only do so much.

Like many other mentions here, nothing wrong in using blade. Personally, I don't like to own blade that is purely safe queen.

Have you considered having rattail shaped diamond sharpener rod? http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Diafold-Serrated-Knife-Sharpener-P14C56.aspx?UserID=81407887&SessionID=pEd5MUR3VCBVLNnTMweb Sometimes Sharpmaker wouldn't quite sharp the edge.

MFL

I just wanted to give a heads-up so you can make sure you have a decent back-up EDC, cuz you'll be using it for a while. Who knows? I'm hoping you get it back sooner though.

I like most here.
That is not a problem.

It is problem of which one to carry.

Like many other mentions here, nothing wrong in using blade. Personally, I don't like to own blade that is purely safe queen.

Have you considered having rattail shaped diamond sharpener rod? Sometimes Sharpmaker wouldn't quite sharp the edge.

MFL

Yes I have. But when the teeth are gone there is only so much that can be done.

got the email from benchmade.

Thank you for sending your product into Benchmade Knife Company!

We wanted to let you know we received your package and are currently
processing all Lifesharp knives and repairs within 16-18 business days.

As soon as your service is complete we will send you an email with tracking information.

Thank you!
Benchmade Product Services
800-800-7427
repair@benchmade.com

New life into my Dejavoo 740...:p:p

I don't want to rain on nobody's parade, but be prepared to wait a while longer. A few weeks ago I received two Benchmade knives I sent in for blade swaps. I don't remember the exact dates but after USPS tracking showed me it was accepted by Benchmade it was another three days before I received the same "template email" you guys got with a 10 to 15 business day turn-around time. Thirty-four days later I received a Fed-Ex shipping notice via email.

Today I decided to ship another two knives for blade swaps and called Benchmade customer service to verify turn-around time. As of today it is approximately 30 business days for "in shop" time. That does not include shipping days.

Today I decided to ship another two knives for blade swaps and called Benchmade customer service to verify turn-around time.
As of today it is approximately 30 business days for "in shop" time. That does not include shipping days.

Good thing I got mine out before you.

If it was my only knife I would be dissapointed.

But Im not.

New blade for 25 bucks .
They DID tell me their getting hammered.

A like new again DEJAVOO....

Good thing I got mine out before you...

:)

Hopefully they have a large stock of spare blades. You are one of the few who has remained loyal to serrations. Seems to be a lot of the members here (myself included) that bought serrated blades when new to knives and has gradually gravitated toward plain edge only.

:)

Hopefully they have a large stock of spare blades. You are one of the few who has remained loyal to serrations. Seems to be a lot of the members here (myself included) that bought serrated blades when new to knives and has gradually gravitated toward plain edge only.

I think you missed my previous post.
The Dejavoo is getting a satin finish
plain edge.

Been off if serrations for about 4 years.

Back