Benchmade VS. Spyderco

There is a never ending battle between these two companies for the better knife! I just want to figure out what makes a benchmade a benchmade and what makes a spyderco a spyderco. Now with the "spyderco hole" not being patented everyone can use it. Don't get me wrong I love spyderco, bu I just seem to get my better knives from benchmade. I want to see what your view on this topic is!!!

Benchmade knives seem to be much more diverse than Spyderco knives IMO. Meaning most Spyderco knives look like and are great slicers. And while Benchmade makes slicers every once in a while ( like the onslaught series). They also put out tons of other knives that can stand lateral forces better. I love the looks of the Para 2 and still need to buy one as soon as my Surefire X300 weapon light gets here for my newest 10MM Glock 20SF. Awesome pistol, 16 rounds of 135 grain GD J.H.P. Flying @ over 1600 FPS. Or my favorite 165 Grain GD J.H.P. Flying @ over 1400fps, with 750 FT LBS. Sorry for the rant. My hand got crushed yesterday at work. They got my on the painkillers.

Besides the hole makes Spyderco icon but now it is not. Spyderco serration is as iconic in knife industry.

They are different companies with different design philosophies. There's not really a "vs." involved, if you ask me. It's like pitting apples against oranges.

You seem to like Benchmade more than Spyderco...maybe you can tell us why. That reason or reasons answers your question.

There is a never ending battle between these two companies for the better knife! I just want to figure out what makes a benchmade a benchmade and what makes a spyderco a spyderco. Now with the "spyderco hole" not being patented everyone can use it. Don't get me wrong I love spyderco, bu I just seem to get my better knives from benchmade. I want to see what your view on this topic is!!!
No, there really isn't a battle. It might appear that way, but there really isn'tasking what makes a certain brand what it is can be answered by owning and using said brand. Everyone will have differing opinion on the "why" aspect, but no one opinion is anymore valid than the next. If you enjoy one brand over another that is also normal, almost everyone has a brand they gravitate towards. There is a long and drawn out history to each company and their relationship. To understand what that is, might help to settle your curiosity. Coincidentally, this topic in particular has been discussed ad nausium. Search around and see what you find.

You are certainly typing neatly and communicating coherently for someone on painkillers with a crushed hand! :D
Yeah, I thought so too, after my thrid proof read. LOL. Man, I'm a mechanic and the other mechanic holding about 400 LBS worth of steel up with a crowbar slipped. I heard (and felt) the bones in my pinky finger crunch, When he picked it up really fast I saw that 3/4 of my finger nail was gone. Only problem with that was it was vertically imbedded into the "quick" of my fingernail. They numbed it up and started pulling out the "shrapnell" ie. fingernail peices. Then they pulled the remaining fingernail peice out, and no crapping you, the stiched all 5 or 6 peices together to make a fingernail off my hand. Then re-inserted it so the new nail has something to keep the bed open while it grows in. They also had to put stitches in my quick under the fingernail first. And to top it off It broke the top inch or so of my finger. Sorry this was way off topic, and I completely agree with your above post. Better let these things wear off before anymore typing. just lurk. :)

Benchmade knives seem to be much more diverse than Spyderco knives IMO. Meaning most Spyderco knives look like and are great slicers. And while Benchmade makes slicers every once in a while ( like the onslaught series). They also put out tons of other knives that can stand lateral forces better. I love the looks of the Para 2 and still need to buy one

I have thought this same thing but if you look at all of the knives that Spyderco makes you might think differently. On the one hand they do make a lot of knives that look almost alike and differ only by handle material, blade length and type of lock. But they also make a good number of knives that are wildly different. Benchmade makes a lot of knives that are different from each other but not a whole lot different.

Spyderco has a different philosophy, they make their knives more for function and less for looks, Benchmade make knives that look stylish in various ways.

Benchmade has always been my favorite company and I ignored Spyderco for a long time because they had mostly FRN handles and lockback lock types. I woke up and started looking at their models and decided that I too needed a Para2 for my collection. Now I have several new Spydercos and a few more that I'm interested in. I've also found a few newer Benchmade models that I'm interested in. Overall I find that quality of materials and quality of construction for the knives that I have is similar between the 2 companies.

Have both, enjoy both. I guess I'd say I prefer Spyderco, but there are days when all I wanna carry is my BM 530.

Having handled both, I prefer the Spydercos. I am considering buying both a PM 2 and one of the BM Osborne 940s. Also looking at the Gunhammer. I'm a fan of both flippers and assisted opening. Having accidentally sliced through the tendons and nerves of a few of my right hand fingers, I don't have quite the grip required between my thumb and first two fingers to open a lot of knives with recessed thumbstuds. Kershaw/ZT is right up there with Benchmade and Spyderco, not sure why you are ignoring the third of the biggest current sellers.

I like the look and feel of Benchmade more. (Just my pref)
But find spyderco slices better.

To be unbiased neither is better. Depends on pref and what you want in a knife

They are different companies with different design philosophies. There's not really a "vs." involved, if you ask me. It's like pitting apples against oranges.

Couldn't agree more. The world is richer with both these great knifemanufacturers in it. They kinda complement each other, in fact.

Couldn't agree more. The world is richer with both these great knifemanufacturers in it. They kinda complement each other, in fact.

This, for sure. I find my BM 940 and Spyderco Ambitious make a great team and are fun to carry together :p But as others have said, there really isn't a battle, it's just different people with different preferences. Or maybe you meant that as competitors, the two companies are actively producing better and better knives? In that aspect, I agree totally. Spyderco, generally speaking, is a company whose every knife I can look at / pick up and enjoy immediately. Benchmade on the other hand doesn't really produce a lot of knives that I really like, but those I do like, I love. That goes for any price point with both companies. Also, I don't think that just because other knife manufacturers can use a hole in place of thumb studs, the knives themselves become better or more like a Spyderco in terms of quality.

They are two very different companies.
I have ONE Spyderco
I have ONE Benchmade.

The quality of both is very good.
Personally, I prefer the heft of my Benchmade.
But they are such different knives, that can be argued back and forth all day long, with just my one Benchmade vs. one Spyderco...........

Benchmade pretty much stick to the axis lock on their premium knives, while spyderco incorporate different lock in their premium knives...IMO Spyderco get my nod, Benchmade havent impressed me all that much lately. Kershaw on the other hand is the company to beat atm JMO

Back