bent bali blade

Hello all, I was digging around in my bali collection and noticed a couple of old knives I picked up here and there that have damaged blades. I don't know as much as I would like about different steel and their capabilities, but was wondering what to do about the nice old custom somebody used as a screw driver and twisted or bent the tip. Can I straighten it? Is it twisted for good now? Do I have to break it off and work with what is left? Or do I leave it alone? What steel is most forgiving? Thanks to any help!

Originally posted by braundc
but was wondering what to do about the nice old custom somebody used as a screw driver and twisted or bent the tip. Can I straighten it? Is it twisted for good now? Do I have to break it off and work with what is left? Or do I leave it alone? What steel is most forgiving? Thanks to any help!

First off you kick his/her a$$. Then we can talk about fixing it. It really all depends on the specific knife and the damage done. I've fixed several thigs that stupid people have done to there knives (although the screwdriver thing is the most common). You could try sending it back to the maker and although you may get charged for the service he/she could probably fix it.

I say have the blade re-ground to fix that tip and shorten the blade a little, then send it to Mer and get some great new handles.

Most of the FHM's are forged high carbon blades, and they can survive the impact of being hammer back to shape.

Old BM customs are another story. Those are usually RC'd in the mid-50's using either ATS-34 ot 154CM steel. Those aren't going to like being hit with a hammer. Depending on the amount of damage, your best bet would be to file it as straight as possible. Otherwise, just leave them alone. They still have some collector value as is.

Pic's and more descriptions would be helpful. I'm willing to go on a case by case basis if that helps.

Back