Recommendation? Best carry knives that could reasonably be thrown?

I'm looking for ideas for a practical "EDC" carry knife that I could have some reasonable chance of throwing to stick in a no-spin combat style . I see many dedicated throwing knives but most don't look very useful to carry . The knife would need to be able to survive throwing practice , of course .

:( I guess this question is just too hard to answer or too ignorant to bother with or somehow not proper or suitable ? :oops:

:eek: Well , I tried ! :confused:

there's a whole bunch of different full tang knives with wrapped paracord grips that I find suitable, most are super cheap too. Removing the wrap and substituting tape helps if balance and weight are an issue. Probably my favorite EDC for throwing is the Boker Classic, aka Boker Magnum Tactical. It's large enough to throw well at over 11 inches.

I'm looking for ideas for a practical "EDC" carry knife that I could have some reasonable chance of throwing to stick in a no-spin combat style . I see many dedicated throwing knives but most don't look very useful to carry . The knife would need to be able to survive throwing practice , of course .

The problem is that you are asking for a knife that would satisfy two conflicting objectives. A practical cutting tool should not be thrown. The good edge, or any sort of comfortable handle, would likely chip or break from impact. My preference would be to ignore the compromise and go with a good cutting knife, a good thrower or both.

n2s

The problem is that you are asking for a knife that would satisfy two conflicting objectives. A practical cutting tool should not be thrown. The good edge, or any sort of comfortable handle, would likely chip or break from impact. My preference would be to ignore the compromise and go with a good cutting knife, a good thrower or both.

n2s
That's a good point. When throwing, more knives is better, always. Wouldn't be a big deal to add a dedicated fighting knife to the mix.

:) Much thanks to all for the advise !

I'm just starting my experiment , really , but I've made some progress to date . I started by throwing two of my Cold Steel Carbon V fixed blades from the 80's . A "SRK" and a "Recon Tanto" . I was confident that it would be hard to damage them much . I did blunt the cutting edges before throwing , for my safety . I used an old raggedy piece of scrap plywood that I attached to a woodshed . It is fastened only at the top , so that it hangs free . This arrangement makes it more energy absorbing to reduce bouncing back of the thrown knives . It's important because I'm throwing at very close range . Just ~3 to 6 feet , for now .

I did OK with the above , but I really wanted to try throwing a knife I might actually carry . For me that means a very large folder , a Cold Steel XL Clip Point Voyager ( the old AUS-8).
To limit both damage to the knife and bounce back , I padded my plywood target with ~10 layers of heavy cardboard . Works great ! So far , no damage to the Voyager or me . :p

I did entirely miss my target once . :eek: The Voyager stuck hard right into the grain of a well seasoned piece of oak firewood that's stacked in the woodshed . It was difficult to extract the knife :confused:. Luckily , no damage .

For further safety , I throw at an angle, obliquely, standing to the side - rather than straight on to the target . So that ricochets will more likely be directed away . :thumbsup:

Still , I don't recommend any of the above to anyone o_O. The risk of serious injury to both the knife and thrower is substantial :(. But for me it's great fun ! :cool:

I have had the most luck with no spin throwing using nails or nail like objects and throwing in this method.

Thus I would recommend a knife with a nail like profile that is evenly balanced. Using the above method it is surprisngly easy to get good results. Maybe a knife like the Kershaw Dune or the Cold Steel Spikes (straighter ones)

I am by no means an expert thrower but I have surprised myself with my ability to stick a throw like this.

Warning: That ninja knowledge is for blade forum members only. Pass it onto the uninitiated and I will have to pop out the bushes and flick poison darts at you.

:eek: French mercenary , Fred Perrin throwing the Cold Steel American Lawman and Mini -Lawman folders . :D See , it's really just sooo easy ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I had a SOG Daggert ll that I really enjoyed as a thrower.

I throw from the handle and usually stand back more than arms length + 10" :rolleyes:. Anyway - the Daggert ll was not an EDC style knife in many states because of the double edge point but I use it as a construction site knife and for playing in the woods. Was a great thrower - well balanced and the kryton grip was excellent. These days if I throw it is with my Puukko.

Ray

Last edited:

:eek: French mercenary , Fred Perrin throwing the Cold Steel American Lawman and Mini -Lawman folders . :D See , it's really just sooo easy ! :rolleyes:

When he stood right by the board I was laughing a bit, .. as he backed up to twelve feet and made all four throws with 1&1/2 spins I shut up fast. :D

:p Just to update my " experiment ": I'm now throwing my Cold Steel Rajah II folder with some success at close range . It's much longer and heavier than most folders . It sticks more easily and deeper than the shorter , lighter folders . Guess that's just physics in action . :cool:

It's a bit large for most EDC situations .;)

Cold Steel True Flight Thrower. Not a bad utility blade, either.

Zieg
True flights are great. Here's a quick video of me throwing two at once.
The thing is that any well balanced knife can be thrown easy I personally recommend Scrapyard Scrapper 5 as the perfect edc and it throws beautifully.

That is very impressive - humbling really:(. I think I'm a pretty good knife thrower (under the right conditions and with the right knives) but you blow me away with that one :thumbsup: :cool:.

I like your Hognose thrower too! I need to set up a swinging log. :D

Cheers, Ray

True flights are great. Here's a quick video of me throwing two at once.
The thing is that any well balanced knife can be thrown easy I personally recommend Scrapyard Scrapper 5 as the perfect edc and it throws beautifully.
:) I'd be pretty happy to be that good with ONE knife ! :cool:

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's we used to throw our jack knives all the time. Sometimes into the dirt and when we got better into trees.

Now my knives all look pristine and not a bit of wear on them. Go figure what growing up does... we actually are afraid to have fun anymore. And that is actually what life should be all about.

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's we used to throw our jack knives all the time. Sometimes into the dirt and when we got better into trees.

Now my knives all look pristine and not a bit of wear on them. Go figure what growing up does... we actually are afraid to have fun anymore. And that is actually what life should be all about.

I used to throw whatever I had strapped to my belt without a second thought whenever the mood would strike me.

1/2" of tip gone from a 10" blade bowie was enough to stop my throwing ways. Now I've got a paracord handled beauty that I forged from a railroad spike for whenever I need to scratch that knife throwing itch. :D

What about a custom from @HardedgeKnives ?
I am sure if you commissioned one to be ran a touch softer, it would hold up to both ends of the spectrum. His cord wrap wouldnt add much to disrupt the balance. On top of that, his prices are very reasonable.

Back