Best choice for New Made and Antique Katana

Hello all

I am new to the site and relatively new to collecting Katanas. So here are my questions…

1) I am looking to purchase a new made Katana from a reputable maker. I am beginning to learn the art of Iaido and would theoretically want this Katana to be fully functional if the need ever arises. I have looked into some sites and I am leaning towards a higher end Citadel and/or Hanwei. Can someone give me some advice/info on the vendors I listed above and also list some vendors that I should possibly look at? My price range is 1,500-3,000.

2) My next question is I would like to purchase an “antique” Katana that was made in Japan. I know there are a ton of product variables that I won’t get into but if someone could give me some general direction to a reputable vendor that sells these types of items AND what I should look for when buying an “antique” Katana. Again I know this question is like saying “I want to buy a car, which one should I buy”? But any info would be great! BTW, my price range is 5,000-7,500.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. There are a slew of really knowledgeable members here, as well as a lot of not so knowledgeable but their intentions seem good. The purist here consider any of the Chinese or non Japanese made katanas "katana like objects". They will steer you toward the real Japanese (Nihonto) products, and with your budget there may be some useful beater swords out there. I myself couldn't bring myself to use a real Nihonto until I was very sure of my sword handling. (Nothing hurts like mangling your pride and joy with bad cutting technique).

All I can say is start reading some of the old threads on this site and get some literature, there are also some Facebook groups (like North Carolina Nihonto Education Group) which has some links to books and sales. May even lead to some groups in your area or closers to home.

P.S. Some of the best sources on this site can come off as a little arrogant but give them some leeway and pay attention. I guess I would get frustrated trying to help amateurs like us and being ignored or insulted for offering free advice. Lol. Good luck and watch out for fakes.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Hello. Thank you for responding. That is one thing I always try to be aware of when asking for information (that info is worth something and people has to learn it), then I come along and want to get it the easy way! I will take your advice and begin reading books and looking for other forum threads to check out. Thanks again for the time.

No problem and feel free to ask and I'm sure someone will try their best to answer.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

With respect to your first sword it would be wise to spend some time learning Iai before you purchase any sword and you will want to have input from your instructor with respect to style etc. even then. Personally were I doing what you are suggesting I would check into Bugei.com

If you aren't already aware of it I'm going to point you to this site:

http://japaneseswordindex.com/

This is Dr. Stein's site which is a great resource. It will NOT answer your questions for you. If you really read it, however it will point you along a path that will allow you to make an informed purchase when it comes to purchasing an antique sword. That process is likely to take years, maybe many years... which is okay because you are going to need to save a good bit more than what you are currently budgeting I believe. :)

In general anyone that is asking questions on an internet forum about reputable vendors from which to purchase antique katana is in no position to be purchasing an antique katana. That's not a dig at you, just a generic observation.

Please read the new thread I made earlier today. It offers some insight and assistance.

In response to your first question regarding your Iaido training. If in fact you are just beginning, then it is unlikely that you will require a live blade anytime soon. No responsible teacher will start you out swinging 2' of sharpened steel. You will most like train with a wooden training sword or Boken, then graduate to an Iaito or unsharpened blade, then when ready a Shinken or live blade.
However, that does not mean you can not purchase a sword.

As far as your question, I have used a few various makers, but have always had the best overall results with the Paul Chen/Hanwei line. While they may not be technically Nihonto since they are made in Taiwan, they do make a high quality, functional product. They would not have survived such a small market for so long if their product was not of good quality.

There are some Japanese companies which make various grade of Iaito and Shinken if you look around, but I have no experience with them.

There are modern day Japanese sword smiths who make genuine Japanese swords in the traditional method. They can be expensive, but sometimes you can find them second hand at very good deals.

There are American sword smiths who specialize in making swords in the Japanese style.
A couple of the best that I can think of right off hand are Howard Clark and Walter Sorrels. Rick Barrett was another but he has quit making Japanese swords.

There are a couple of licensed Japanese sword smiths in Canada, Pierre Nadeau and Taro Asano aka Fusataro, thaough again I have no pricing information on either.

Regarding your second question on antique Nihonto.
Not sure your intentions for the antique you are looking to buy, but no Nihonto collectors are going to recommend that use use an antique for Iaido practice. We promote the study and preservation of the antique art objects.

As collectors we always advise you to study before buying. It is always good to study prior to making a purchase. But using the right dealer can alleviate that issue.

It is good that you are asking about legitimate dealers and how to go about buying a genuine antique Nihonto. At least you didn't do like so many people and buy first ask later, which can be a disaster.

Things to avoid: First and foremost avoid E-bay like the plague unless you are very experienced in the field. There are some legitimate items but knowing the good from the bad is the trick. So again, as a newbie stay away from e-bay. Buying on forums with no experience can result in unhappy results as well.

There are legitimate dealers, which will guide you through the process and help you find a sword which you can enjoy for many years.

Here is one antique Nihonto dealer I can highly recommend and guarantee your satisfaction (ask about your Iaito as well): http://yakiba.com/

Once you hit "ENTER", be sure to click on the "New Listings" link at the top.

With respect to your first sword it would be wise to spend some time learning Iai before you purchase any sword and you will want to have input from your instructor with respect to style etc. even then. Personally were I doing what you are suggesting I would check into Bugei.com

This is Dr. Stein's site which is a great resource. It will NOT answer your questions for you. If you really read it, however it will point you along a path that will allow you to make an informed purchase when it comes to purchasing an antique sword. That process is likely to take years, maybe many years... which is okay because you are going to need to save a good bit more than what you are currently budgeting I believe. :)

In general anyone that is asking questions on an internet forum about reputable vendors from which to purchase antique katana is in no position to be purchasing an antique katana. That's not a dig at you, just a generic observation.

Hello, thank you for your response and time. I have been told the same thing about learning before I purchase, i guess I am just excited and curious to see what's out there. I have looked at Bugei trading and they seem legit. I guess I am just scared that there are so many fake websites out there and was looking for who is legitimately selling antique swords. As mentioned i am in the process of learning and I was told to get involved with forums (like this) and ask as many questions as possible. I have read a few books but mostly on the topics of Bushido and nothing very specific on the actually Katana itself. I will definitely check out the website and thank you for sharing your knowledge and resources with me.

Please read the new thread I made earlier today. It offers some insight and assistance.

In response to your first question regarding your Iaido training. If in fact you are just beginning, then it is unlikely that you will require a live blade anytime soon. No responsible teacher will start you out swinging 2' of sharpened steel. You will most like train with a wooden training sword or Boken, then graduate to an Iaito or unsharpened blade, then when ready a Shinken or live blade.
However, that does not mean you can not purchase a sword.

As far as your question, I have used a few various makers, but have always had the best overall results with the Paul Chen/Hanwei line. While they may not be technically Nihonto since they are made in Taiwan, they do make a high quality, functional product. They would not have survived such a small market for so long if their product was not of good quality.

There are some Japanese companies which make various grade of Iaito and Shinken if you look around, but I have no experience with them.

There are modern day Japanese sword smiths who make genuine Japanese swords in the traditional method. They can be expensive, but sometimes you can find them second hand at very good deals.

There are American sword smiths who specialize in making swords in the Japanese style.
A couple of the best that I can think of right off hand are Howard Clark and Walter Sorrels. Rick Barrett was another but he has quit making Japanese swords.

There are a couple of licensed Japanese sword smiths in Canada, Pierre Nadeau and Taro Asano aka Fusataro, thaough again I have no pricing information on either.

Regarding your second question on antique Nihonto.
Not sure your intentions for the antique you are looking to buy, but no Nihonto collectors are going to recommend that use use an antique for Iaido practice. We promote the study and preservation of the antique art objects.

As collectors we always advise you to study before buying. It is always good to study prior to making a purchase. But using the right dealer can alleviate that issue.

It is good that you are asking about legitimate dealers and how to go about buying a genuine antique Nihonto. At least you didn't do like so many people and buy first ask later, which can be a disaster.

Things to avoid: First and foremost avoid E-bay like the plague unless you are very experienced in the field. There are some legitimate items but knowing the good from the bad is the trick. So again, as a newbie stay away from e-bay. Buying on forums with no experience can result in unhappy results as well.

There are legitimate dealers, which will guide you through the process and help you find a sword which you can enjoy for many years.

Here is one antique Nihonto dealer I can highly recommend and guarantee your satisfaction (ask about your Iaito as well): http://yakiba.com/

Once you hit "ENTER", be sure to click on the "New Listings" link at the top.

Hello. First of all thank you for your very informative response. I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and personal knowledge. In regards to using a live blade I was told best case scenario it would be a 1 year before I even think about touching a Katana. But as mentioned before i am excited to see what is out there and what my options are. I was told that I should never use an antique blade for any actual cutting so I am looking for a piece to collect as oppose to use. I guess in order of importance to me would be buying a collectors piece first. I have been a firearms collector for many years and have collected mostly German WW2 firearms and memorabilia, yet I have always been interested in feudal Japan and of course Samurai. I will check out what you have listed and learn as much as possible. Again thank you for your time.

Hello, thank you for your response and time. I have been told the same thing about learning before I purchase, i guess I am just excited and curious to see what's out there. I have looked at Bugei trading and they seem legit. I guess I am just scared that there are so many fake websites out there and was looking for who is legitimately selling antique swords. As mentioned i am in the process of learning and I was told to get involved with forums (like this) and ask as many questions as possible. I have read a few books but mostly on the topics of Bushido and nothing very specific on the actually Katana itself. I will definitely check out the website and thank you for sharing your knowledge and resources with me.

You are more than welcome, advice given on internet forums is often worth what you pay for it. :) I think you are on the right track. Far more so than I was when I started collecting swords. I shudder to think of the early mistakes I made.

I don't have forum rules nor complete list of paid vendor memberships memorized, so I'm not doing links but check aoijapan.com & samuraisword.com to add to the recs above.

Bugei is a popular route for people in your shoes. I went with Ronin Katana and am generally pleased - I have no formal training, I just like swinging sharp shiny things.

Good luck.

If you want a modern made Katana that is accurate to the antiques and built like them and handles like them look no further than Hanwei Paul Chen. Just search Hanwei Paul Chen in google and you will find what you are looking for. They have something for every proce range.

As for antiques I know a few sites but as they are not paying members here I don't think I can advertise them.

Hello all

I am new to the site and relatively new to collecting Katanas. So here are my questions…

1) I am looking to purchase a new made Katana from a reputable maker. I am beginning to learn the art of Iaido and would theoretically want this Katana to be fully functional if the need ever arises. I have looked into some sites and I am leaning towards a higher end Citadel and/or Hanwei. Can someone give me some advice/info on the vendors I listed above and also list some vendors that I should possibly look at? My price range is 1,500-3,000.

2) My next question is I would like to purchase an “antique” Katana that was made in Japan. I know there are a ton of product variables that I won’t get into but if someone could give me some general direction to a reputable vendor that sells these types of items AND what I should look for when buying an “antique” Katana. Again I know this question is like saying “I want to buy a car, which one should I buy”? But any info would be great! BTW, my price range is 5,000-7,500.

Thanks!

If you are an iaido beginner you don't need a shinken for a lot of years from now*, but as I read you want to see what's around I recommend to look for a shinken created for iaido practitioners. In your price range you can go "production" route from www.ninecircles.co.uk or custom modern one made here: https://www.michael-sabatier.com/home.
For katana made in japan, there are a lot of options: https://www.aoijapan.com/japaneseswords/katana , http://www.e-sword.jp/nihontou.htm and so on. Use google for the US sites too.

PS My mistake, looks like will be just 1 year. Ask your sensei if the sword is for cutting or waza, since sometimes if is just for cutting you can can solve the problem cheaper than your budget.

Last edited:
... the Paul Chen/Hanwei line. While they may not be technically Nihonto since they are made in Taiwan, they do make a high quality, functional product.
Is the Hanwei line made in Taiwan? I always thought they were made in Communist China, the PROC. The country of origin info is hard to find on those, which is always a tell-tale sign of made-in-China. And the few sites that I did find with that info said China.

When I met Paul Chen some years ago he told me Taiwan. However, between his english and my chinese there could have been a misunderstanding :) He may have meant he was from Taiwan. ????

But you are right, they have a facility in Dalian, China.

Hello,

I have two Rick Barrett katanas for sale. PM me if you would like more information, or if you have questions.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have two Rick Barrett katanas for sale. PM me if you would like more information, or if you have questions.

Just a heads up, trying to sell something without a paying membership can get you in trouble. I got busted for it it when I was new to the forum

Back