Best SAK for Scissors?

Razor

Gold Member
It sounds like a SAK with scissors would be real handy to me. I was wondering which model you all would recommend?

I often carry a climber and the super tinker is very similar (Phillips screwdriver instead of corkscrew), or an hunstman if you also need a saw.

If you primarily want good scissors, you might look at some of the knives made in the Delemont factory. What used to be Wenger knives. The spring on those scissors is better, and those scissors are supposed to be self sharpening. Maybe a S16 or S17 or S18 depending on what else you like on the knife. If you like more tools maybe the evolution 23 or the evolution S52.

O.B.

It sounds like a SAK with scissors would be real handy to me. I was wondering which model you all would recommend?

If you're planning to pair it with your multitool, I recommend the Victorinox Explorer Plus as long as it isn't too thick for you to be comfortable carrying in your pocket. It has a nice set of tools that would compliment your multitool quite well in my opinion.

0710171032a-1-1353x2076.jpg

Tools I've found handy compliments to a multitool:

Scissors- I noted the usefulness of these in your multitool thread.

Maginfier- deciphering worn or poorly stamped part numbers or anything else that needs magnified.

The screwdrivers: The smaller SAK will fit in some tight spots a multitool won't. Nice, but you'll probably use the drivers on your Leatherman most of the time.

The small blade: Small, thin and slicey. As long as you keep it sharp it cuts like a laser. Great for detail work. Makes a passable scalpel for basic veterinary work.

Glasses screwdriver: Obviously has the potential to be either priceless or useless, depending on if you or someone you're close to wears glasses or sunglasses a lot.

Tweezers and straight pin: Sliver removal. Especially if it's from treated lumber or posts. I try to get the chemical soaked slivers out ASAP.

Toothpick: The hygiene potential of these for actually picking your teeth is hotly debated. Whichever side you come down on, they work well for cleaning lint, chaff, etc out of cell phone charging ports or headphone jacks without being hard or stiff enough to really hurt anything on the phone unless you really try to.

The pen: It's too small in diameter to be all that good a pen, but it works in a pinch.

Lots of great added functionality as far as I'm concerned. The only real drawback is the size. It doesn't bother me in pocket, but it's thicker than many like. Here's a pic next to a standard sized Bic for size comparison.

0710171026-1-1080x1327.jpg

If the Explorer is too large for pocket carry for you, Victorinox also offers belt pouches to carry the various sized SAK's as well if you have room on your belt for it. That would be another option.

Also, check out the SAKwiki. If you first click on a size and number of layers (91 mm and 4 is a good place to start) and scroll down you will find a matrix of models and tools. Find one that has scissors then click on the name to get the full details about that model.
If you can work with tiny scissors then a Classic or Rambler makes a good keychain model.

Last edited:
The Executive. Slightly bigger than the classic scissors and smaller than the 91mm models. Perfect size for me and the ones I use almost everyday.

Any Victorinox.

6rxg7BK.jpg

I prefer victorinox scissors over wenger. Also prefer the larger 91mm over the 58mm.

I'd say the 3 thinnest models would be pioneer x, compact, and then climber.

I can recommend the Explorer scissors. I have used them at least weekly and often use them every day and they have performed flawlessly for years. No problem. Also super handy for self bandage work.

Agree with Compact. Almost the perfect SAK, imo. Not a fan of the new combo cap lifter/ can opener, but it's liveable.

Wasn't a fan of the Classic, but it's been growing on me as it is an extremely useful little knife. It is top grade, precision tool where precision makes the job easier and more efficient.

The Swisstool Spirit XBS is the only SAK with spring less scissors. The tip is rounded and has a smaller angle opening which makes it less efficient in control but easier for frequent use. Its springless.

New-Victorinox-Swiss-Army-MultiTool-Swisstool-SPIRIT-X-_1.jpg

The SAK's I have with scissors are the Huntsman and Signature.
I carry and use them both.

Another vote for the Victorinox Executive. Not too big, not too small (IMO). It's the one scissors-bearing model that is with me every day.

For larger scissors, definitely the Pioneer X or Super Tinker.

Regarding Wenger/Delemont scissors, I never did like those. They nodded up and down during cutting, the blades had tiny serrations; and while the spring is much more robust than the Victorinox springs, they CAN break or wear out. And when they do, the only fix would be (or would have been) to send it in. A friend of mine carried (and may still carry) an old Swissbuck made by Wenger back in the '90s, and the scissors on his has been useless for years; the spring broke long ago, and the serrated scissors were beyond dull. It's relatively easy to replace a broken spring on Victorinox scissors, though I've only had to do it once.

Jim

any Vic will do,
for detailed work, hygiene and care the 58mm ones can't be beat
the larger ones cut paper, twine, tape, cardboard and plastics clamshells with ease and precision

iCfTjGt.jpg

only if you cut thick plastic and or harder materials should you upgrade to the Micra or bigger scissors like the ones in the Surge, Paul Chen multitasker or OUTU Tool

X9WYrQ9.jpg

Back