1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best steel for a chef knife western or Japanese

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by aarondj30, May 31, 2017.

1. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    I HT my kitchen knives at full thickness.

2. aarondj30

aarondj30

May 31, 2017
    I didn't want to grind it to thin before I sent it out I sent it to Peter's heat treat

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  3. aarondj30

aarondj30

May 31, 2017

4. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    My best advice for kitchen knives is don't grind the bevels before HT.

aarondj30 likes this.
  5. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    mine is only slightly different to say they you shou d at least cut in the bevels pre HT. i grins about a 1/2" bevel almost to the tip (leave the tip full thickness) pre HT stripps les grit from good belts an dcentering the tip is much easier with full thickness stock

6. KUTTERSKNIVES41s5

KUTTERSKNIVES41s5

Jun 1, 2006
    M390 is also very stainless from Sweden. The American version would be the 20CV. If I was making a kitchen knife, these steels hold a crazy edge. Yes the above Japanese steels are excellent but will rust farely quick. You want a high end steel with lots of Chromium. Hope this helps. Good luck on making your piece too!