Better steel version of skinning knife for filleting

I use this knife as my main fillet knife for cuts through the skin, deheading, separating fillets from ribs, i find cutting with the belly is much easier/safer especially as my eyes get old!

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-SB12-6-6-inch-Skinning-Knife/dp/B008RBSEMA

Tougher skinned fish like redfish, sheepshead, have me wanting a better version. Stainless would be preferred as I live in Fla and only saltwater fish. Knife does not go on the boat.

Thanks for suggestions and even what steel if I have one made.

Companion knives I use with it are an 8" breaking knife and 12" roast slicer for removing the skin depending on size of the fish.

Thanks!

I use this knife as my main fillet knife for cuts through the skin, deheading, separating fillets from ribs, i find cutting with the belly is much easier/safer especially as my eyes get old!

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-SB12-6-6-inch-Skinning-Knife/dp/B008RBSEMA

Tougher skinned fish like redfish, sheepshead, have me wanting a better version. Stainless would be preferred as I live in Fla and only saltwater fish. Knife does not go on the boat.

Thanks for suggestions and even what steel if I have one made.

Companion knives I use with it are an 8" breaking knife and 12" roast slicer for removing the skin depending on size of the fish.

Thanks!
I use Warther fillet knives for fishing. I would take a look at their website. They have a variety of styles. The knives are S35V and this is excellent for fishing. I have also used Fallkniven fishing knives, but the Warther S35V holds an edge much better than the VG10 as Fallkniven does it. You should be able to find something from one of these makers that will fit your needs.
North Arm also makes knives in S35V, but they are ground too thin as shipped and chip. Once they are sharpened properly, they work fine.

I would reccomend Z-Finit. It is a nitrogen based stainless. Should never rust in any natural environment. Also is very tough and gets really sharp. I have made kitchen knives in that steel and its great!

I take a carbon steel dexter roast beef knife that is really flexible and repurpose it into a filet knife. Lovely edge, great flexibility and good strength and the best this is it cost me a buck and an hours work

Did you ever find a better knife? I would suggest either S35VN or, even better, Elmax. Both are high vanadium, high chrome stainless steels.
Tim

I am working on some now in 390. The next set I want to use carbon steel. I am considering 52100, cruwear, and CR V2. For use in butchering and home meat cutting. We butcher lamb, deer, hogs, steers, and small game.

For those who know Cruwear, can you tell me what you like, and about the edge stability? Ease of sharpening?

Back