bic lighter

For those who like BIC ligthers.... I suggest you try the CLIPPER lighters... They have an almost cilindrical profile which is easier to get a hold onto. Also, you can get some of them in ruberized coatings, which are not slippery, even when wet. To top it off, they are refillable and you can also replace the flint. The cost is pretty much the same. We have them here in Spain, so I bet The Peacent knows what I am talking about.
Getting into those as of late.

I found them more comfortable and reliable, and I really like'em better

IMG_0776.jpg IMG_0777.jpg For camping, I got a Soto Pocket Torch last summer for $20. It uses cheap $1 gas station lighters inside (Scripto is best) and turns them into a flameless torch. Works Great!

Do the clippers dry up like zippos?
Nop, they are just like a BIC (same fuel) but in a different format (roundish, instead of flat-oval) and allow you to store extra fling and replace as needed. They are also refillable.

View attachment 714582 View attachment 714583 For camping, I got a Soto Pocket Torch last summer for $20. It uses cheap $1 gas station lighters inside (Scripto is best) and turns them into a flameless torch. Works Great!

Love this, but the product page indicates it may not work above 5000'/1500m. That rules out the entire state of Colorado. I'm only just between Denver and CoSpgs and I'm at almost 7000'. I might just buy one, though, and see how it works! Maybe I'll ride the airhead up to the top of Pike's Peak and try it there.

Zieg

IMG_2179.JPG IMG_2145.jpg At the Blade Show they had a limited edition (200) Bic caddy that glows in the dark.

I usually carry three mini bics with me. One in my pocket, one in my Altoids tin on my sheath, and a spare in my pack. I also have the firesteel that I use for fun, along with some tinder and water proof matches in the Altoid tin as well. Went for an overnighter two weekends ago in the Tahoe National Forest below the snow line. There was only one other group on the entire lake and it was a father and son doing an overnighter. The Dad asked for "fire" and it took me a few seconds to process the fact he needed something to start a fire. I gave him the Bic in my pocket because I had the two spares on me. At least I know that I'll never be without fire for the most part. Couldn't imagine hiking in and than realizing I forgot my lighter or matches in my truck, when the temps were dropping into the 30's without wind chill. Had a similar instance during the winter in the same area. Two guys were doing a two night snow camping trip and they couldn't get a fire started. Temps dropped into the single digits, so it was good that they found us and we were able to help them process wood and get their fire started. I always carry spares because they're light and cheap, but also bring along other means of fire starting as well.

...Two guys were doing a two night snow camping trip and they couldn't get a fire started. Temps dropped into the single digits, so it was good that they found us and we were able to help them process wood and get their fire started. I always carry spares because they're light and cheap, but also bring along other means of fire starting as well.
A little redundancy in the fire starting area is a good thing. I always have a large bic lighter with me in the woods and usually matches in zip lock bags along with a spare large bic lighter. The problem with the lighters is that if you have a lot of stuff in your pockets, you can press the lever and release all the fuel (vapor).

I just purchased a Vector Thunderbird Zippo Butane Insert
I am very pleased with it as it is much more wind resistant and easy to use as it burns without holding little lever that burns your hand

Just got one of those exotac bic holders. Adds some weight, but I think it should work quite well, and gives a good grip, if the hands were cold, it might make the difference.

This has been an interesting thread. Thanks for the info. I too have carried BIC's like many of you. I also carry strike anywhere matches in K&M match cases, and sometimes fire steels. Early on I found too many lighters that had run out of gas from the button being pushed while being carried in a bag or pocket. I started transporting them in prescription pill bottles that fit the large and mini lighters. You can also squeeze some tinder in the bottle too. Not waterproof, but water resistant. Before I found the Exotac cases I had been using, and still do use the Airborne cold medicine containers. They are pocket sized, will hold a mini and some tinder and are water proof. The medicine is like an Alka Seltzer tablet so it must stay dry. The cap also has a compression unit in it to keep things from rattling around. I haven't had a problem with any of the Airborne containers so far. Just something that has worked for me. I pulled these containers from my truck and a pack I carry in my truck. The tinder is wetfire.
pill bottle 1.JPG pill bottle 2.JPG small bottle 1.JPG small bottle 2.JPG airborne 1.JPG airborne 2.JPG airborne 3.JPG

I remember a story of a lobsterman in Maine whose boat suddenly sunk. He was able to struggle to a near by metal buoy, one that was large enough to climb up on. He used his belt to strap himself to the buoy. He was wearing rubber boots and a rubber raincoat, a long one. He survived by tearing strips of rubber off the boots and lighting them with a Bic lighter, then holding the burning rubber underneath the raincoat so as to catch the heat. He was found the next morning and they thought his face had frost bite as it was black, but that was from the smoke from the burning rubber. Other then some damage to his butt from sitting on the cold metal he was in remarkable god shape, in part to being able to light the rubber strips with that Bic lighter. John
I can't find any documentation on this story, but I fished with this guy back in 92. He never mentioned it but some of the other guys told me the story. I'm told bic used it in an ad.

You want foolproof in cold weather? Sure, carry a Bic or 2 but also carry a Zippo with a can of fuel (it's not that big and heavy) and a package of flints. It would be pretty hard to get skunked with this combo since the cold weather doesn't affect its lighting ability, unless if you're maybe in the Arctic???

Doc

Another fan of the Bic here. Even when they're out a fuel, the flint will almost always still work, and I have used that successfully to start fires before. The quality of your tinder must be rather higher for it to light with just the spark of the flint, but it is doable. Still, nothing beats redundancy.

Back