• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bird and Trout NitroV and Lemonwood <Sold>

John Cahoon

JWC Custom Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey there everybody! Here’s a new handy little knife I just finished up. Hope you like it!

Steel is 3/32” x 15/16” in NitroV with heat treat recipe for 60/61. Hand sanded to 2000 grit for a highly reflective finish. The edge was .01” before sharpening , it balances just behind the front pin.

Dimensions:7 7/8” OAL, Tip to Scales 4”

Lemonwood scales make up the handle, accented with purple G10 liners. Secured with stainless and mosaic pins. The handle is finished to 1200 grit, oiled and waxed.

The slender handle feels great in my average sized hand. The blade is nice and snug in the sheath.

Still using imgur, if anyone wants full size photos I’ll get ‘em to ya!

Price is $155 to your US door, and of course your satisfaction is my only priority. Paypal, check or MO, and the price includes fees and free shipping in the US.

Thanks so much for looking and please feel freeto ask anything here or via PM.

John Cahoon

Backstory>This design is based on a couple of steak knives I made for my retired business partner, gratis. He provided the template. Then his nephew placed an order for six more. Then I made two more as family gifts for my Tucson cousins. So this is No. 11 of this design, all in Nitro V. The design really lends itself to b&t/f&s applications. My one cousin is hoping to skin an elk this fall, we’ll see how that goes.

I’ve got two more in the box ready to build if anyone wants a custom pair.

Last edited:
Nice John! Blade size works but the handle is a wee short for me. I’ve got big old paws. Sooner or later my needs and one of your knives will connect. I look forward to owning a John Cahoon knife!

seriously excellent lines & polish

is the lemonwood impregnated with any of the usual ? phenol or resin or just natural (none)?
great work either way, just curious

Hi Dirk Dirk , it's unstabilized, with several coats of danish oil and the carnauba wax. It's from low down on a very large gnarly old trunk. Hey Doons Doons thanks a bunch!

Nice John! Blade size works but the handle is a wee short for me. I’ve got big old paws. Sooner or later my needs and one of your knives will connect. I look forward to owning a John Cahoon knife!
Some of the finest knives on here. You won’t regret getting a knife from John Cahoon John Cahoon

This is one of your most exquisite designs. It takes great skill to make something so clean. The japanese have a concept for something that simple, subtle and beautiful : this knife is the embodyment of Shibui.

I have 3 of John's knives - and I inted to expand my collection. They are my most prized possesions.

Back