blade crinking

bertl

Gold Member
Since the stockman pattern knives had the two secondary blades on the same spring, a slight crink or bend was made near the tang so blades could close. What I would like to know is when in the manufacturing process this occurred and how? Was it done before the hardening process or later? Was a jig used or was it done freehand?

Bert

Since the stockman pattern knives had the two secondary blades on the same spring, a slight crink or bend was made near the tang so blades could close. What I would like to know is when in the manufacturing process this occurred and how? Was it done before the hardening process or later? Was a jig used or was it done freehand?

Bert

I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is that it's after heat treat/hardening and they heat the tang back up and make the adjustment. From what I have been told, this makes the different metal components have differing hardness, reducing wear as well.

Thanks for the information, WilliamCody. Do you know if a machine was dedicated for the crinking? It seems that it needed to be fairly precise.

Bert

Blade tangs were annealed after heat treat.
Finished blades were set (crinking was not used as the term at Camillus) in the assembly department just prior to assembly.
Most were set using a soft faced hammer, holding the blade in an air vice, and setting the blade to a pointer marking ideal set.

Phil, what's an air vice? I tried Google (How to use ..) and came up empty. Thanks in advance and thanks for the interesting information.

An air vice is a vice with an air cylinder, so it can be opened & closed rapidly using a foot pedal.

Ah ha. Your post prompted me to search "pneumatic vice" and BINGO, I see exactly what you are referring to. The feature allows for rapid opening and closing of the jaws.

I think my mother in law was born with one of these.

Back