Blade Show 2017

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I know that I have been pretty quiet around here lately and I'm sorry about that.
I have very busy getting orders out and prepping for Blade Show.
Usually this about time before the show I will have at least 12 to 15 knives ready to display.
This year I might only have a half dozen.
I glued up 10 knives Tuesday night, 6 or 8 of which will probably make it onto my table.
Yesterday I ground out 6 new knives that if all goes well will get heat treated tonight.
Those will hopefully be finished in time to be available at the show as well.
I hope to be able to share some pictures of what will be available a few days before I leave.

One thing that is new for me this year is that Saturday afternoon I will be closing my table down to go compete in the Bladesports World Championships. I am really excited about this. I just started in Bladesports back in January with a goal to be able to compete at Blade. I am very thankful that it worked out. I will also have my comp knives on display for anyone to check out.

Hopefully if you are at the show you will not hesitate to stop by, Table 15D
I have been told I'm pretty hard to miss.
I will be the Big Guy in an Orange T-Shirt.

You know what they say, all work and no play makes Chris a dull boy.
Can't have that happening to a knife maker.
Enjoy yourself!

I will try to get pictures late next week.
I should have most ready for sheaths if not finished.
\I promise not to leave you guys hanging.

I know that I have been pretty quiet around here lately and I'm sorry about that.
I have very busy getting orders out and prepping for Blade Show.
Usually this about time before the show I will have at least 12 to 15 knives ready to display.
This year I might only have a half dozen.
I glued up 10 knives Tuesday night, 6 or 8 of which will probably make it onto my table.
Yesterday I ground out 6 new knives that if all goes well will get heat treated tonight.
Those will hopefully be finished in time to be available at the show as well.
I hope to be able to share some pictures of what will be available a few days before I leave.

One thing that is new for me this year is that Saturday afternoon I will be closing my table down to go compete in the Bladesports World Championships. I am really excited about this. I just started in Bladesports back in January with a goal to be able to compete at Blade. I am very thankful that it worked out. I will also have my comp knives on display for anyone to check out.

Hopefully if you are at the show you will not hesitate to stop by, Table 15D
I have been told I'm pretty hard to miss.
I will be the Big Guy in an Orange T-Shirt.
That's cool. I would live to compete. We plan to watch the event. Good luck!

Preview pictures are finally ready to share.
I have been very busy to get to this point, and still have a few knives that need some finishing touches.
I also decided to completely start a new knife from scratch yesterday.
It is heat treating right now as I type this.

How about some pictures.

2017blade1.jpg

2017blade2.jpg

pd1comp.jpg

The comp knife above is Bladesports Regulation and it has been tested and certified ready to compete with.
Let me know if you have any questions or comments about any of these.
This is most of them, like I said I have a few more that I am working on finishing up still.

Great looking batch! Although I'm not seeing any of my personal favorites, Scrapper and Wolverine.

No Scrappers and only the one Wolverine with the Psychedelic scales in S90V.

I have two more pictures to share of knives that I'll have with me.

These are two Voyagers in .220" 52100, one is wearing Desert Ironwood Burl and the other has thick orange G10 liners and Black Canvas.

2voyag.jpg

This is an in progress shot of an X-Tra Wide Ranger, it still needs the handles finished and a sheath.
This one has a 9.5" blade of .200" 3V, 2.43" wide , thick black liners, orange stripe, with black/charcoal scales.
This one is already SOLD.

xlrang.jpg

Questions and comments are welcomed.

Are the tangs tapered on these 52100 Voyagers, like those previously made of O1 ?

Yes they are, skeletonized and tapered.
They are slightly heavier though because of the thicker stock.
That is why they are full flat ground also, maintain cutting geometry and remove some weight.

These are the last four knives I'll have ready for Blade Show.

last17_1.jpg

Another XL-Ranger in PD1, a couple SteelHeads and a small hunter.
The 6" SteelHead and hunter with the Green Canvas I am hoping to sell as a set.

Blade Show 2017 is a wrap and was the best one yet.
I sold some knives, got to compete in the Bladesports World Championships, and managed to have many great conversations with other knife enthusiasts.
A BIG Thanks to all who attended and especially those that stopped by to talk!!!

I brought a few knives home with me and I will be posting them for sale in the coming weeks.

IMG_4001.jpg

Pictured above is my Comp Knife, an Ironwood Burl Voyager in 52100, and an XL-Ranger in PD1.
Although the Comp Knife is a purpose built tool I have never used a knife that has the cutting ability this possesses.
The XL-Ranger and Voyager were, IMO, the nicest knives on my table.

I will be taking a week or two to knock out some chores I have been putting off around the house.
I am excited to get back to making some more though.
I have some new designs and projects in mind that have me quite excited.

Back