Blades currently available for order/ purchase: Updated weekly

Glad that flaring tool is getting good use!... I'll be saving for one of the fjord hikers, if you'll do it in 52100.....

Glad that flaring tool is getting good use!... I'll be saving for one of the fjord hikers, if you'll do it in 52100.....

I use the flaring tool on almost every blade! Hands down the strongest mechanism for handle attachment.

I only have Fjord hikers in Z wear right now but I can get one cut in 52100 for you.

Thanks for the post, always good to hear from you :thumbup:

Last edited:
That's cool Hunter. Thanks for the photo.

I think the design turned out really well. Your post reminded me of a few other designs and collaborations I've done through the years that never made production runs.

Notably I had these two Nessmuk designs. The one on the Bottom I did with Big Chris Customs. The top was a collaboration with Jim Rosa. The top version is still to this day my favorite small knife design. I made a few from 52100 in 2013 but I don't have any pictures. I need to bring that design back from the dead at some point.

Also had this gladius design I toyed around with but never finished. --> Side note, I had SO MUCH space in my old shop. I really miss that place.

Nessmuks_zpsqcy882os.jpg

Gladius_zpsbw1o3ryj.jpg

Last edited:
I remember that Nessmuk design. I dig the Gladius too. Always been an interesting design to me...something I think it could be really useful for utility with only half of the spine sharpened / beveled.

I'm in the middle of my exam week so no progress has been made :(

Ill be back in the shop on May 6th and will finally be free to finish some of the projects I've been working on. The new bowie design will be tested as well as the Breaching hawk. Regardless of how testing goes, the bowie is going to be produced from much thicker stock, likely .275. In 3/16th stock is so light I doubt it will chop well. Its basically a machete at that thickness.

Machetes chop great! The thinness helps with the chopping, but a super great chopping machete tends to bind because it cuts so deeply with each chop. Axes are much thicker than other kinds of blades because the wedge-shaped thickness reduces the tendency to bind on a deep cut. Like everything, it's a compromise. Cut too deep, it binds. Cut not deep enough, it's a crappy blade. Of course there are techniques that can minimize binding in a thin deep-cutting machete, but the beauty of an axe is it's much less graceful and that's perfect for brute-force chopping with no need for fancy techniques.

One thing I noticed is the fact distal tapers always go from the handle toward the tip. Why not make it go from the tip to the handle? Maybe the spine of the blade could be distally tapered toward the tip like normal, but the grind of the blade profile could possibly benefit from extra thickness and weight at the sweet spot near the tip, where the deepest cuts are made. Bolo machetes make the blade broader toward the tip, but making it thicker instead of broader would add the needed weight for a deep cut AND help to reduce the tendency to bind in a light, thin blade.

Just an idea - I have no experience making blades, so I would not be surprised if trying to do it this way might be impractical for some reason, like simply just being hard to grind the blades that way.

It would be really helpful if you made a new post every time you update something. I receive notifications for new posts, but there is no notification for edited old posts. The updates are infrequent enough they won't be too noisy, and if someday they do become noisy, you can archive the old ones by putting them in a subforum. I don't think anybody has enough updates to need to keep everything in a subforum, but you could do that too if you wanted..

I can get you an exact measurement when I get back to the shop but its about 25 ounces.

I can get you an exact measurement when I get back to the shop but its about 25 ounces.

Thanks I'm trying to decide on which model I want to purchase from you. I don't think I need a 17 inch machete in NJ. I really like the idea of the 12inch machete or the parang and I wanted to compare the differences in weight.

Thanks I'm trying to decide on which model I want to purchase from you. I don't think I need a 17 inch machete in NJ. I really like the idea of the 12inch machete or the parang and I wanted to compare the differences in weight.

Having used the Parang, I'd go that route. It's just a sexy blade, at 15" and the slightly thicker stock, and higher grind I just think it ends up being more versatile.

Having used the Parang, I'd go that route. It's just a sexy blade, at 15" and the slightly thicker stock, and higher grind I just think it ends up being more versatile.

I've been leaning towards the parang.

I'm personally not a fan of the 12in machetes. I really like the reach of a big blade. That said, alot of guys prefer the quickness and ease of carry of smaller blade.

At 17.5 ounces, a 12in fell beast will be lighter and quicker but will have much less chopping power. The parang is a very versatile blade and can clear brush well while still having good chopping power. And while the measurements may paint a different picture,when you hold them together the parang is nearly the same size as the 17.5in fell beast.

I also need to edit the measurements. As Camber stated, the Parang is actually a 15in blade when measuring tip to scales. Its 14.5in when measuring just the cutting edge.

Last edited:
Great choice Kyle. I think you'll be really happy with it. Nice weight for the size, and I think it will allow you to do a much greater variety of work than the 12" machete.

Hello, I've been a silent lurker here for awhile, really like your designs. I'd like to ask about the Fjord hiker can that be done in 3v with a small sharpening choil ? Love that size knife, and it's just so sleek looking with the swedge and handle design.

Back