Blades For My Razor?

Feathers are my main choice, really superb

However, I've been impressed with Voskhods from Russia, very inexpensive but a decent shave with no nicks.

I use Harry's cartridges when I don't feel like DE shaving, they're very thin and sharp kind of the Feather of cartridges but they have amazing edge retention and at just $2 a piece they're on par with DE blade cost.

I bought 200 feather blades for around 30 cents each. 1 a week is about $15 per year.

I guess it depends on how long a blade will last you, I use a new one for every shave since every blade I've tried dulls out on me by the end of it but as I said in an earlier post I shave my face and head so I shave more hair per blade (each time I shave) than the average shaver and my hair is pretty coarse, I also buy blades in bulk but I pay about $.50 (about 50-100 at a time) per blade.. I can get 8/9 shaves out of a Harry's before it's dull so for me they're even cheaper than DE blades.. but as they say YMMV

The Voskhods I ordered finally came in and the first shave was in my Merkur 38c Barber pole. First shave felt like I was using a broken piece of glass... it was seated correctly so not sure what the issue was.

Tried a second shave in a Maggards 3 piece closed comb and it was better... may have had a dud first time out.

sampler, plain and simple. Every handle, every lather, every face likes a certain blade. Half of it might just be in your head, but who cares? they are so cheap compared to cartridges that it doesn't much matter. I like gillette silver blues from Canada, Bic blades from Greece, and Gillette blacks from India. Feathers cut me up, so I don't use them often, but they are by far the sharpest. Try a bunch, see what you like, and keep some on hand to rotate through, its always worth trying something new to see if it works for you.

Sort of an old thread, but I just ordered safety razor and a package of Astra blades. I am looking forward to trying the razor and getting away from the disposable game while learning a new skill.

I bought about 300 razors of a variety of brands about 7 years ago, Feather is my favourite. Sharper than every other razor I've tried, I can usually get about 6 shaves or more out of one... face AND scalp.

That "big book company" sells good, bulk quantities of double edged blades for low prices.

Rich

I t is true that blades come down to personal preference. I do not like Feather blades because it is too easy to get razor burn with them. I really like the Gillette Nacet followed by Astra Platinum. The key with any blade is to keep your pressure feather light to avoid burn and get the best shave. The multi-blade modern razors require pressure, but the DE is just the opposite. Keep it light.

I usually use Voskhods in more aggressive heads and Feathers in more normal heads. So far The Voskhods in my Fatip Grande are my favorite.

Just adding to the resources:
A fellow Canuck has set up a site worth checking out:
www.Refinedshave.com
He's a DE razor user and material science nerd (who also shaves his head!) who wanted to get some harder numbers on the sharpness and longevity of DE razor edges.

He uses a saddle and jig to get consistent cutting repeatability on weight required to slice a standardized thread media. His website tables are a bit messy, and his review comments aren't really reflected in the summary tables, but if you find interesting data and look up his review it's good stuff. He's testing more blades all the time, if you subscribe he sends emails when he's getting ready to buy new blades or when he publishes new reviews.

So far the data he's compiled makes a lot of sense. The super-sharp Feather, Voskhod and Personna blades are performing as their devotees expect.
The biggest news is not which blades are sharpest, but which are most consistent. (Some blades are a okay on the first shave, super sharp next shave after the PTFE coating is gone, then dull the third shave. This means you have to adjust your expectations/technique.)

I like Feather blades in my old Gillette adjustable, since I can dial in an aggressive/sharp edge where I need it but dial back a mild shave for my tender swirly-grained neck and not lose performance. I'm probably going to try Voskhod when my last Feather goes (bought a pack of 100 about 18 months ago.)

Get a sampler pack of 5 blade in a bunch of blades. Astra Platinum and Feather must be in the sampler as they are good standards for a love/hate feeling. Tray each brand/blade for 2 weeks (2-3 blades). What you are looking for is the blade that gives you the closest most comfortable shave.

For me that is Astra Platinums as the Feathers give a closer shave but destroy my face and the cuts brutal. Many other blades give a more comfortable shave like I haven't even shaved, but not as close as the Astra. My experience is meaningless to anyone but me as everyones face (Skin, Angles, Beard) is different. Trust me 2 weeks each branded blade to give your face time to adjust and to see results. If a blade will not give a close shave after a few shaves, check your technique and give it another go. The key is each pass is hair removal with 1-3 being key to a close shave. Cartridge blades with 2-3 blades make 1 pass = 2-3, and no pressure needed, just good prep and technique.

For prep, I use a pre shave oil on freshly showered face and then Colonel Conk Amber shave soap with dreadnought aftershave gel to finish. 1 Pass, re-lather 1 cross pass re-lather, 1 opposite cross pass rinse cold, aftershave gel. Get a decent shave bowl and badger hair brush, not the best just not a cheapie.

I use Personnas and buy in bulk because they are made in the USA. I have a Gillette adjustable, so I can dial in the angle to suit my beard and blade. I went back to DE about 15 years ago, never looked back. If you are using a non-adjustable, blade preference will need to be found through trial and error, no way around it. Of course once you have figured out the right blade for your beard and razor you won't adjust (so don't get one if you have to spend extra money. My old Gillette was $5, but I got it before DE shaving caught on. I haven't adjusted it for a decade).

I use a 1957 Gillette Super Speed. It handles well during shaving. I've used a number of blades and settled on the Feathers. They are sharp but ragged. They will give me several nicks. At first I thought it was because they were real sharp but what I discovered is they lack refining. If I strop them before shaving they give a much smoother shave, without nicks. I only shave every other day and I can get 2 weeks worth of shaving from one blade.
I have continued to strop them and gotten good shaves w/ one blade for 2 years. DM

Last edited:
Back