Bloody Mary Mix

JK Knives

What's your favorite bottled Bloody Mary mix? I've been using Zing Zang, but I'm sure there is something better that I haven't tried yet.

As you can maybe tell from my user name I concoct my own.
From scratch.
And quite a few different ways depending on client tastes.
But I always use Sacramento brand tomato juice. It's the only one that doesn't have an "off" flavor.

One of my biggest hits is my bloody mary dirty martini.
Inverse proportions, meaning it packs a big hit with the majority being vodka.
And if you want some more flavor give Aquavit a try for a base.

I do not have a favorite mix, I usually just go with one of the big names. I do however have a favorite vodka to use. I highly recommend trying it if you like them a little spicy. The vodka is from Blaum Brothers and its called Hellfyre. They are a newer distillery up in Galena IL. Not sure if you can find it everywhere, but they distribute via Binny's beverage depot if you have one nearby.
I will insert their blurb: "We spelled Hellfyre with a ‘Y’. Y? Because a bad ass spirit like this deserves a rogue letter here and there. Not rogue like Sarah Palin, but more like Jason Bourne rogue. See where we are going with this? Us either. But we do have a bottle of Hellfyre, which is made by soaking a whole bunch of fresh, hand cut jalapeños, habaneros, and black peppercorn in a whole bunch of vodka. It’s a whole bunch of amazing, fresh tasting peppers and spice. It’s been suggested to us about 1,000 times that it’d be good in a bloody mary. We should try that sometime."

You have to post your recipe......PLEASE!
It would be tough.
I usually use 3oz Stoli vodka, just a dash of celery salt, black pepper, a few drops of Worchestershire, hot sauce depending on taste but usually good old Tabasco, a barspoon of horseradish juice (just press the spoon in and allow it to fill), a splash of olive brine (The tough part, because I have this supplied by an outside vendor and it's incredible. Yes brine makes a difference), and maybe an ounce of tomato juice.
Shake just enough to chill, you don't want a froth on this one.
Add a lemon twist and olives for garnish.

This is my basic recipe. I do many others with my own cocktail bitters, herb smoked glassware, different base liquor and cordials etc etc.....
The cocktail world has evolved and variety is key these days, it's not the same environment that I got my start in 25 years ago.

Thanks, I'll have to start a search for olive brine recipes. I have seen it on the shelf but it seems making your own is better.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll have to start a search for olive brine recipes. I have seen it on the shelf but it seems making your own is better.
Generally it comes in the jar of olives but that's not always the best.
I can't remember the brand of pure olive brine I use that I order a case of at a time. It became necessary when dirty martinis became extremely popular and the cases of 1 gallon olives couldn't meet demand for the brine.
It's really good though. My thinking is that if a company wants to make a living selling salt water ;) it had better be exceptional, and it is, makes the drink.

I typically church up Zing Zang with some olive juice and a dash or two of Smoked Chipotle Tabasco. Definitely need some spicy pickled okra and green beans to drop in there.

Its hard to beat Zing Zang for a good basic Bloody Mary mix. I bartended for about twelve years and we used to mix our own in house. Now I just doctor up zing zang depending on my mood.

I've been to Blaum Brothers twice. They have a great tour and mix up some very tasty cocktails as well. The Hellfyre is is very fyrey!

I'll have to try the V8 mix - my standby is low sodium V8 with some soy sauce and Mazetta peppercini juice to make up for the missing salt, add some Chalula and lime. My favorite though is still an unknown recipe at a hole in the wall on the OR coast...there must be more than one secret ingredient, but a raw oyster (or two) floating in there does something amazing to the flavor.

yup, love the zing zang for a store bought mix. just add a couple dashes of tabasco. it is pretty salty, but haven't found one i like better.

One of my biggest hits is my bloody mary dirty martini.
Inverse proportions, meaning it packs a big hit........
My son came home for Father's Day. We mixed a few before heading to a cookout Saturday afternoon. It made easier to be around people we really didn't care for.

Back