Boker Colubris

DerekH

Handsome According to my Mother
I stumbled across an ad for the Boker Plus Colubris Sunday morning, and very promptly threw down everything I had, drove home like a maniac, and started surfing the web to find out more. From what I can tell it looks almost identical, just in a different steel. 440c not being my first choice, but I have a few knives from a couple of German makers and I would say if done right, it is definitely a serviceable steel. My question to you DJ is will the Boker model be for all intents and purposes an exact match? Also, will there be any way I could get a set of black handle scales for one?

As of right now I am signed up to be notified as soon as they are in stock through one of the larger knife merchants, but from what I can tell they are ready to order from Boker directly (or at least that is the impression I get from their website). So hopefully I will have one in my hands before too long (although given how long I have lusted after one, it will in my book most definitely be too long).

Here is a pic for those that haven't seen them yet.

7327_02BO055-01.jpg

that is BOUND to be a licensed copy, because if it's not that is the most blatant instance of design theft i've ever seen

It is, at least from everything I have read.

I saw that a couple weeks ago in a knife magazine (which one I don't remember. I don't read them often). It looks awesome, but when I see 440c I seem to lose interest pretty quickly. That may be unwarranted on my part, I don't know.

From what I've seen and heard, it's a perfectly decent steel provided the heat treat is done right, and according to several folks more knowledgeable than myself Boker is no slouch when it comes to heat treating 440c. I've got a rather large German folder in 440c that I have used to baton wood and it kept an edge through that and plenty of other use without any issues. Easy enough to sharpen, gets sharp enough, and given what numerous makers say over in shop talk it used to be considered a bit of a "super steel" in it's own right. Have also heard that it tends to roll rather than chip, but have no personal experience with that.

Something that keeps a lot of well designed knives out of peoples hands is price tag and exotic steels, and having the exact same design in something both more affordable and common I think is a really smart move on DJ's part. I can't wait to get my hands on one, and as soon as Mike over at New Graham gets them in, I'll be getting my hands on one even if I have to drive over there to pick it up.

In the interest of education, data sheets on both steels straight from Crucible:

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataSheets2010%5Cds154cmv12010.pdf

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataSheets2010%5CData%20Sheet%20440c.pdf

440c was the paragon of stainless steel for cutlery back in the day. It is still an excellent cutlery steel. There is nothing wrong it it. If I didn't feel it was up to snuff, I wouldn't have allowed Boker to use it on these knives.

Bottom line, 440c will have slightly more corrosion resistance, slightly less edge retention, and a slightly lower attainable hardness vs 154.

Yes, these are a legitimate, licensed collaboration between myself and Boker. As least that's what our contract says. :D

I believe these knives are going to retail for somewhere around $100. The OG Colubris direct from me was $325 plus shipping. The thrust with these knives was to produce a product with all of the same fantastic attributes of the design, but to offer it at a price that was affordable for just about every knife guy. That's why 440c.

This is great! I just might be able to afford this one:D I think you are about to get REAL busy! Congrats DJ!!!

440C is a great steel for daily use. People see 440 and think 440A, but even 440A was still used widely in European knives after the steel snobs here decided not to like it. :p

This collaboration is a winner.

Thanks so much for your support, guys. Glad you like these.

Rolf: I cannot discuss future collaboration projects that may or may not be happening until they are closer to fruition.

Would Boker Colubris pics here be okay, or do they need to stay on Boker's subforum?

Two thirds of my kitchen and three out of four of my chefs/santuku knives are 440c. Edge retention is great. I use a butcher steel once a week and can go months before sharpening.

Would Boker Colubris pics here be okay, ... ?

Derek, of course. As DJ recently said, "Yes, these are a legitimate, licensed collaboration between myself and Boker. As least that's what our contract says. :D"

They are as appropriate here as there.

Derek, of course. As DJ recently said, "Yes, these are a legitimate, licensed collaboration between myself and Boker. As least that's what our contract says. :D"

They are as appropriate here as there.

Word. Thanks for the info. Gonna blow this place up with use and abuse pics. Probably not so much the abuse, but some definite use.

Absolutely, post 'em up!

Looking forward to your pics, Derek.

Hmmm Boker... Seems to dilute name strength... The Boker/Burnley kwaiken... yuck. I've had 2 Bokers.. and just didn't like the feel or fit/finish. Hope this helps your business, just hope it doesn't change the quality of your name over time for knife nuts...

I'll stick to the original... collabs with major knife makers fall short imo.. gl though (seriously!).

1) Why would a production house dilute my name? There's still only one me, the only way to get a knife that I build myself is through me or one of my authorized dealers, and I can only build so many customs a year. The Boker Colubris isn't a custom. Nobody is going to mistake it as such.

2) Check out how vast my catalog is. The Boker colab is, right now, just the one knife.

3) If I weren't happy with Boker's quality levels, I wouldn't have allowed them to produce the knife. Remember though, it's not a custom. What it IS, is a lot of knife for around $100.

4) Collaborations are a GOOD thing for makers. They increase exposure and name recognition by breaking you into new markets where people might not be aware of you or your work. And they give people who maybe can't afford or justify purchasing a $300+ knife an opportunity to own something that you designed. I think that's pretty cool.

If full customs are more your thing and you want to stick personally with those, I'm just fine with that. I'll take your money just as fast as Boker will. ;)

Hmmm Boker... Seems to dilute name strength... The Boker/Burnley kwaiken... yuck. I've had 2 Bokers.. and just didn't like the feel or fit/finish. Hope this helps your business, just hope it doesn't change the quality of your name over time for knife nuts...

I'll stick to the original... collabs with major knife makers fall short imo.. gl though (seriously!).

DJ I think it is a wonderful move on your part and I really wish more people, from custom makers to huge companies, would take a similar route with some of their wares. I personally can't wait, and if it turns out as good as I am thinking it will, it will make it a lot easier for me to justify kicking out for the real deal. (Of course that may not justify it to the missus, but then that is what flowers are for. ;) )

Also, for the price I was told, (much less than $100) I am definitely going to end up with two of these bad boys.

I think I had seen a pic of the sheath for one and it was a kydex job just like the ones that come with the real ones, but I could have been mistaken. Either way, I will definitely be fitting it for some custom kydex pants once I get mine. And then blasting this place with tons of pics.

Back