Boker Colubris

In the interest of education, data sheets on both steels straight from Crucible:

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataSheets2010%5Cds154cmv12010.pdf

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataSheets2010%5CData%20Sheet%20440c.pdf

440c was the paragon of stainless steel for cutlery back in the day. It is still an excellent cutlery steel. There is nothing wrong it it. If I didn't feel it was up to snuff, I wouldn't have allowed Boker to use it on these knives.

Bottom line, 440c will have slightly more corrosion resistance, slightly less edge retention, and a slightly lower attainable hardness vs 154.

Yes, these are a legitimate, licensed collaboration between myself and Boker. As least that's what our contract says. :D

I believe these knives are going to retail for somewhere around $100. The OG Colubris direct from me was $325 plus shipping. The thrust with these knives was to produce a product with all of the same fantastic attributes of the design, but to offer it at a price that was affordable for just about every knife guy. That's why 440c.

Thanks for the information and I stand corrected on 440c.

sigsaur: Sheath is just like the ones that came with the the OG Colubris. So you can set it up however you wish.

Derek: Thanks buddy! The knives are actually out now. Boker had the production knives at the show. I got one for me and one for a pass-around that I'll be running soon. They sold all the rest of the knives that they brought. Dealer response has been very good, so start checking with your dealers. I'm extremely pleased with how the knives came out, and Boker has been great to work with. Here's a picture comparison between one of my originals and the Boker.

BokerColubrisCompare.JPG

I'm very excited to get my hands on one. I have it setup to notify me at a couple places, but more than likely will be getting mine from Mike over at New Graham. (Maybe two!)

Any chance on getting different handle scales for it, or would the standard ones not work on the Boker model?

Just came up from the shop. Sheaths ARE Kydex. So users can tweak the fit to suit their individual taste.

Congratulations on the collaboration! Great looking design and I think people will be more than impressed with the performance... 440c may be one of the most under-rated steels going these days.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks guys, glad you like.

Any mounting option that features standard 1.5" hole spacing should work. If you're using a different mount, no problem. Just drill yourself an extra hole. Takes about five seconds. :)

This is great and all but i just recently found out about American Kami knives On Monday. Bought one from blade HQ on Tuesday and will be at my door step on Saturday. Now i find out I could have picked one up for $100...... Just a tiny bit upset. DJ, i was reading your web site and what sold me on the blade was that you too live by the word's "Spend Once, Cry once" instantly purchased the Colubris.

4) Collaborations are a GOOD thing for makers. They increase exposure and name recognition by breaking you into new markets where people might not be aware of you or your work.

Not in my case. I was just in the market for a new Fixed blade and wanted something different. Hit the BHQ web site and narrowed the search to All fixed blades. About 30 pages in i came across the Colubris and i knew i had to purchase it.

mquez: Why would owning a knife that I personally made be upsetting to you? The Bokers are made by Boker in Asia. Furthermore, I've discontinued the original Colubris pattern in my midtech lineup. The only way to get one of my builds in that pattern is to either locate one of the original 185 with one of my authorized dealers or on the secondary, or have me build you a full custom from scratch.

Some important considerations:

1) The Boker gets me more exposure. This a good thing. And more importantly, maybe my design is the one that reaches a person and speaks to them, and that ends up being what initially gets them into knives. Maybe my design is the one that reaches a young kid and makes him (or her) decide that he wants to do this with his life. New blood is everything. Without it, the craft and the industry stagnate and die.

2) Not everyone can afford a $350 knife. But most guys can afford a $99.95 knife. It's an opportunity for a broader audience to own a piece of my work.

3) Is my build of the Colubris a better knife than the Boker verson? Yes it is. But it is also more than three times the price. In fact, my material cost for one midtech Colubris was greater than the retail price on the Boker version.

Why would owning a knife that I personally made be upsetting to you?
Yeah i should have not even mentioned that i was upset, I was actually trying to be sarcastic. The fact is that the premium steel and exclusivity of the the original is what drew me to the blade. Will i ever buy the Boker version..... Probably not. If the Boker Culubris would have been the first one i saw, i might not have bought it seeing a $100 price tag. I my self like buying into the higher end blades. "Spend Once, Cry once"

All good, buddy. :)

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I'm with you when it comes to buying knives: If I have the choice, my preference is custom, and made by one of my friends. It's more special that way. That said, I own plenty of productions as well.

Yeah i should have not even mentioned that i was upset, I was actually trying to be sarcastic. The fact is that the premium steel and exclusivity of the the original is what drew me to the blade. Will i ever buy the Boker version..... Probably not. If the Boker Culubris would have been the first one i saw, i might not have bought it seeing a $100 price tag. I my self like buying into the higher end blades. "Spend Once, Cry once"

I hoped that today I will get my hands on the Boker Plus Colubris. I liked this knife very much once I occasionally had a look at it. I watched a few reviews on youtube, read forums, and made a decision that it will definitely be my next purchase. And this day has finally come. The painful disappointment.

The point is that I had some experience with Boker Plus knives recently. I tried to purchase Boker Plus Schanz Integral Dagger. It arrived with variations in the width of edge bevel - approximately 0.2mm to 1.2mm. It seems that normal width is about 1.2-1.5 mm but in some parts the edge bevel almost disappeared to the tiny thread about 0.2mm. The knife was sent back. This is kind of foreword.

The story is that I ordered Boker Plus Colubris (by phone) - I asked the salesman to check if the edge bevel is OK everywhere. Later he called back and told me that he checked all Colubrises at his warehouse (3 items at the moment) and unfortunately all of them have more or less curved edge bevel with unacceptable visible deviations along the edge. So my plan, my wish to get Colubris is cancelled.

I suppose there must be some obligations between American Kami and Boker about quality control and maybe this message might be useful for the people in charge.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that it is the actual cutting edge that has a height variation between 0.2mm and 1.2mm? I'm non-metric, so that would be 0.0079"-0.0591". And we're talking about the height of the secondary bevel which establishes the actual cutting edge, correct?

I hoped that today I will get my hands on the Boker Plus Colubris. I liked this knife very much once I occasionally had a look at it. I watched a few reviews on youtube, read forums, and made a decision that it will definitely be my next purchase. And this day has finally come. The painful disappointment.

The point is that I had some experience with Boker Plus knives recently. I tried to purchase Boker Plus Schanz Integral Dagger. It arrived with variations in the width of edge bevel - approximately 0.2mm to 1.2mm. It seems that normal width is about 1.2-1.5 mm but in some parts the edge bevel almost disappeared to the tiny thread about 0.2mm. The knife was sent back. This is kind of foreword.

The story is that I ordered Boker Plus Colubris (by phone) - I asked the salesman to check if the edge bevel is OK everywhere. Later he called back and told me that he checked all Colubrises at his warehouse (3 items at the moment) and unfortunately all of them have more or less curved edge bevel with unacceptable visible deviations along the edge. So my plan, my wish to get Colubris is cancelled.

I suppose there must be some obligations between American Kami and Boker about quality control and maybe this message might be useful for the people in charge.

Yes, your guess is correct. To make it clear I have attached below my drawing with a visual explanation - this is what I saw at another Boker Plus model, and this is what I asked the salesman to check on Colubris, and he responded - "man, sorry, all three items have variations in the edge bevel height - you will be upset". I am thinking if it would be possible that they simply sell knives with high quality to the US and the EU and sell items with defects to other countries, for expample, to Ukraine where I live?
pij9.jpg

Last edited:
Back