Bone/hard fiber spacers

Can someone post a photo or photos showing the difference between the hard fiber and micarta spacers? I've got an early 124/122 and I can't tell which spacers it has in order to more accurately date it. TIA

I'll look for some photos but my quick response is this...
Look at the spacer on edge (magnification helps)
Fiber spacers show horizontal layering
Micarta spacers show what I call a waffle pattern on edge (the weave of the linen threads)

The 2 line micarta spacer 124 seems harder to find (at least for me)
The eBay pictures are never good enough.

Last edited:
Sometimes it can be difficult and color isn't always reliable, but here are fiber (top), micarta (bottom), and micarta & leather (middle).

Bert
fiber 2.jpg micarta & leather.jpg micarta.jpg

Great info. I just checked all my 100 series fixed blades. They are all relatively new production. Waffles, all of them. So Micarta spacers. Thanks!

Bert beat me with the pictures but since I went thru the trouble I'll put mine up anyways.
(looks like Bert snuck in a little leather)

Fiber spacers. If any structure is seen it will be horizontal layering.
figer%20spacer_zpszixrouvj.jpg

Micarta is a resin impregnated fabric so the pattern will have a waffle, zigzag or woven appearance.
micarta%20spacer_zpsnhj3w1ki.jpg

Thank you all. Boy it's tough to tell. I'm thinking its micarta. I just got it back from a spa treatment and they did a great job but it's got such a nice buffing it's hard to discern any pattern at all. Buck didn't use anything else this color did they?

Badhammer,

Be sure to use at least 10X magnification and a bright light when you are looking and look from different angles. Unless it's leather, which is pretty easy to determine, it will either be fiber or micarta. The micarta started about 1969.

As an aside, does anyone else have the frustrating problem of spell check changing "micarta" to "macerate"?

Bert

Thanks. My iPad doesn't change it but it doesn't seem to recognize micarta as a word the first time I type it.

Thought I'd post a few photos. Not sure if the detail is visible on the spacer but as I posted previously, I'm going with micarta for this one.

DSCF1015_zpsfgvkrjgx.jpg

DSCF1017_zps57jrfg0w.jpg

DSCF1014_zpsvusugbvy.jpg

DSCF1013_zpshi17wgxd.jpg

That is hard to say. It looks kind of like fiber, but I am basing that on the color. If possible, try to zoom in on the spacer so we can see it better.

Badhammer, Nice knife, I have one like it I'll have to forgo the spacers for now maybe later. I have a question, are the pommel and guard stainless or aluminum?

Were any 1 piece butts aluminum?
Anyone with a trick on how to tell the difference?
Buck's blade stainless is magnetic but have noted that the stainless handle materials are not.

According to the model history on the the BCCI website the 122/124 used stainless steel for the guard and butt until 1973 when it changed to aluminum.

Thank you, I should have checked there. The Pommel has some magnetic attraction but the guard none. My guess is the guard is 300 series and the pommel 400? From what little I know about stainless steels. I also checked the spacers on my knife, it has micarta.

Last edited:
Were any 1 piece butts aluminum?
Anyone with a trick on how to tell the difference?
Buck's blade stainless is magnetic but have noted that the stainless handle materials are not.

Roger,

This isn't a trick, but all you need is an X-ray fluorescence analyzer. It is a non-destructive method. They are available for about $12,000-$15,000. Alternatively, since you aren't far from some universities, maybe you could con the engineering department into doing a test.

Bert

The 2 line micarta spacer 124 seems harder to find (at least for me)

Roger, here is a 124 2-liner with micarta spacers. As you said, it's usually next to impossible to tell from the sale photos. In this case I actually was hoping for fiber. Oh, Well.

Bert

124-1.jpg 124-2.jpg 124-3.jpg

Back