Bottle openers obsolete?

Mostly a liquor guy, but most of the beers I drink do not have a screw cap and I seldom drink beer by the can. So, still useful as hell!

We used to need a cap lifter to open the cans.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIuAAAAJDI0YjAwM2M5LWJiYTEtNDczMS1hZTE4LWE5MzhiYWMwNzBkZA.jpg

Van Merritt and Grain Belt were pretty awful, Rainier Ale was pretty good.

Last edited:
In addition to using the large screwdriver feature, I mainly use the bottle opener on my SAK Pioneer to open cardboad containers containing cereal or other foods, without damaging the box. It makes a nice, light-duty prying tool.

Jim

About the only beer I drink with a twist-off is Yuengling, all the rest require a cap lifter.

I've only seen few bottles in my life that have twist off. Maybe it's American thing? In here most bottles have regular caps. And all the micro breweries I support? Nope, they don't use twisties! :D
I have seen twist-offs once in 30 years, so yes, I think it's an american thing..

I use my SAK bottle opener all the time for beer and Mexican sodas. Most of the stuff I drink isn't twist off.

I use my SAK bottle opener all the time for beer and Mexican sodas. Most of the stuff I drink isn't twist off.

^This. Pretty much anything I drink is out of a bottle. I have a collection of antique "church keys" in my tool box, and my Gerber Shard or my SAK are backup to those. I rarely drink soda, and when I do, it's usually the Mexican Imports, and all of them are lift-caps. High Fructose Corn Syrup is banned in Mexico, so the imported Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Sprite, etc. are made with sugar syrup, the way it should be.

I only drink two kinds/brands of beer; Anchor Steam if it's a lager or Rolling Rock if it's an ale. Both of those are lift caps as well.

I use a church key or cap lifter several times a month, more often in the summer.

~Chris

Last edited:
I use mine regularly. Mostly on craft beers.

Also, I am surprised at how much use the corkscrew on my spartan gets.

Used the combo tool on my Vic Walker tonight to open a couple for my wife and me to go with her home-made pizza! (Hers was a twist-off but mine was not and I used the combo tool / bottle opener on both of them.) Definitely not obsolete! :D

i ve been thinking of buying a pioneer just so i can have a bottle opener and a wine opener.

two tools i ve been needing more often

Almost all craft beer does not have twist off caps. It is almost a kind of group indicator. I wouldn't be surprised if large beer companies started making non twist cap bottles just to seem more like craft beer.

I don't drink much, haven't needed one yet in 2018, but when I need one and don't have one it's frustrating.

E8CEED77-E33E-4EC5-BDB9-0E7D3F5AEB3C.jpeg I run into a lot of bottled beer without twistoff caps. I carry a Titanium Waiter with a cap lifter, can opener, cork screw, blade, and saw.

corkscrew is kinda unnecessary.
the pioneer can opener can open wine bottles also i saw on youtube

wonder how easy it is to open wine cork on it..anyone tried?

Back