Photos Brand NEWBIE and ADDICTED

The Plumb Catalog with the relevant Price Sheets dated 1964 shows 3 sizes of the National pattern:

3-1/2# (with a range of handle lengths available)
2-1/4# (with 28" handle), called the "National Boys"
1-3/4# (with 16" handle), called the "National Utility Axe"

https://archive.org/stream/PlumbTools1965/Plumb Tools 1965 150 dpi#page/n13/mode/1up
What's easier and faster to consult than Google?: on this forum hands down that'd be Steve Tall. The depicted Plumb catalogue seems to be a compilation of different 'effective' dates; some Aug 1 1956, Mar 2 1964 and Oct 18 1965. Retailers often received updates to file in their product binders so the different dates isn't surprising. The sheets, some of which are dated Aug 1 56 (at least 2 pages), which also says "-Over a century of quality- since 1856-", describes the new process and states that "all Plumb axes now have the exclusive PERMABOND assembly".
There was some debate on here a while ago (fielded by Operator 1975) who disputed (even convincingly dispelled) claims of all Plumb axes being Permabond hung in the initial years of introduction.
Still unknown, to me anyway, is when the Nationals were discontinued. Are there any Ames era catalogues (1971 to 81) out there for us to peruse?

I will try taking a picture or two later, but last night I wondered if I could notice a spot or two of black permabond in and around the eye...could be late night imagination but I will try for a few pics when I can.
An Ames catalogue, a hardware store purchase order, something like that would be very awesome.

When I first came to this forum just a few short weeks ago I think, it was a Google search that brought me to a thread with operator75, discussing vinegar soaking and then that permabond thread.
Very knowledgeable and I have read a few other of his posts while searching thru on varies topics. His Collins, Kelly and Plumb dedicated threads are excellent.

Steve Tall keeps the bar high and I am grateful!! I am now backlogged on reading the threads and links he has shared or that I have bookmarked while looking thru on my own.

The stories and history of my CT made finds is what grabbed me and keeps me to these and other great axes! A new found appreciation and renewed respect for all my tools, old and new to me, thanks to simply jumping on and into this forum.

Miller CT

...It will be fun if I come across a red 16" handle for it...

That 1-3/4# head might be more useful on a longer handle. For comparison, the Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe has a 25" handle, and its head weight is about 1-3/4# (according to WoodTrekker).

SteveTall
Thanks for the suggestion, I think agentH mentioned using a straight handle.
These two ideas I have really gravitated toward and will incorporate both for this Plumb.
I like the shape of this head and a longer straight handle just seems right when I see envision it.
Now to make that vision reality

...Still unknown, to me anyway, is when the Nationals were discontinued. Are there any Ames era catalogues (1971 to 81) out there for us to peruse?

Plumb Nationals were evidently still being made under the Ames ownership (1971-1981).
The label looks like it says:

PLUMB
AMES a McDonough company
MADE IN U.S.A.
PERMABOND

vintage-plumb-axe-label-ames_1_5b585089ef421a6efdc7268acd227c3f.jpg

vintage-plumb-axe-label-ames_1_5b585089ef421a6efdc7268acd227c3f.jpg

" Measures 26 1/2 inches long and head measures 6 7/16 long and 4 1/4 across edge."

from https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-plumb-axe-label-ames-473499982

... and what looks like a Plumb National hatchet with Ames on the label:

s-l1600.jpg

VINTAGE PLUMB 1-1/4 LBS CAMPING HATCHET *NATIONAL PATTERN* ,10'' HICKORY HANDLE.
5'' LENGTH OF HEAD.3-1/4'' CUTTING EDGE,1 LB 10 OZ OVERALL WEIGHT.12'' OVERALL LENGTH.

... and a Plumb from Cooper Tools (1981-2000+) which resembles the National pattern:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

"VINTAGE TOOL/PLUMB 11-634-682 HATCHET/PLUMB PERMABOND/COOPER TOOLS"

Last edited:
Thank you Steve! The top pictured Ames boys axe is authentic-looking enough but the Ames and the Cooper Tools Boy Scout and other hatchet versions look like a cross between a conventional head and a National. It's probably safe to presume that the National pattern died out or was modified sometime during the Ames era.

I will try taking a picture or two later, but last night I wondered if I could notice a spot or two of black permabond in and around the eye...could be late night imagination but I will try for a few pics when I can.
An Ames catalogue, a hardware store purchase order, something like that would be very awesome.

When I first came to this forum just a few short weeks ago I think, it was a Google search that brought me to a thread with operator75, discussing vinegar soaking and then that permabond thread.
Very knowledgeable and I have read a few other of his posts while searching thru on varies topics. His Collins, Kelly and Plumb dedicated threads are excellent.

Steve Tall keeps the bar high and I am grateful!! I am now backlogged on reading the threads and links he has shared or that I have bookmarked while looking thru on my own.

The stories and history of my CT made finds is what grabbed me and keeps me to these and other great axes! A new found appreciation and renewed respect for all my tools, old and new to me, thanks to simply jumping on and into this forum.

Miller CT
Apparently Permabond was black in colour only during the first year of introduction (1955) and went over to red beginning in 1956.

So I almost hate to ask this question but, what do you guys know about the timeline on this cross hatched "Genuine Plumb" stamp. I was under the impression that Genuine Plumb showed up around 1940 and was changed sometime during the war to a Victory stamp. Apparently this might not be the case and they continued to use Genuine Plumb, Victory and Guaranteed at the same time. But when does the cross hatch stamp show up?

So I almost hate to ask this question but, what do you guys know about the timeline on this cross hatched "Genuine Plumb" stamp. I was under the impression that Genuine Plumb showed up around 1940 and was changed sometime during the war to a Victory stamp. Apparently this might not be the case and they continued to use Genuine Plumb, Victory and Guaranteed at the same time. But when does the cross hatch stamp show up?

This is a key question.:thumbsup:

Haven't seen it completely solid so maybe a difference in manufacture?

Excellent question! Answers to many of these puzzles are becoming lost to the sands of time as factory workers of the time and other folks that lived through that era pass away.

That is a fresher one than I've seen in person for sure. The dies ran their life on a non renewed model name?

I got some better pictures in this mornings light, better than my shop lights at midnight in the garage LOL! Not saying much about my photography skills however...these are the best of the bunch.
That said, I don't think what I thought I saw the other night has anything to do with permabond rather grime and or paint maybe...
l2gCY6Z.jpg

pQKn7YH.jpg

l3T3mUT.jpg

d9jPbY5.jpg

g7qqNMV.jpg

6vSBqY9.jpg

20 minutes here, 40 minutes there...I am kept on a tight schedule

The cross hatching could also be that the ones I have seen were worn/element affected and the horizontal lines on the stamping just stood out to me.

Is that some paint remnants on the poll there or is it a bit darker?
l3T3mUT.jpg

Nice looking Plumb :thumbsup:

Lets try this..

Not mine but I don't see cross hatched. I hope I am not that screwed up.

I don't think there is anything wrong with our eyes :)

This one looks like the hammers, hatchets, and axes that I have seen in person here is all.
g7qqNMV.jpg

Square_Peg, for one, has cursed having to remove and re-haft Permabond hangs but I took apart a factory epoxied Swede (similar process) a few weeks ago and merely drove everything out from the back all in one shot. I was fully expecting to have to do a major cleanup but only a light filing was necessary since very little stayed behind.

I haven't cursed removing permabond. I just don't screw around and drill the crap out of it.

1-Drilling%20the%20eye.jpg
The interesting thing about the 1980s Swede epoxy hang that I took apart is there was an unwedged kerf cut in the somewhat tapered handle. I think Plumb installed uncut handles.

I aquired this whetstone about three weeks ago and though I am just out of my bilateral inguinal surgery and recovering, I had to swap leads on the terminals to this Dunlap motor to produce the correct rotation of the stone.
The previous owner had the stone turning away from the tool, not toward.

dKtIycl.jpg

2VJ8OtH.jpg

b29eIPc.jpg

I can't wait to get back some mobility and can get back to finding a great handle to hang my PLUMB

NQsCgOy.jpg

Back